Brewer Fanatic

2012 MiLB ST thread

TooLiveBrew

Taylor Jungmann struck out Weeks and Braun and got Morgan to ground out in the intrasquad game today.

I hope Weeks or Braun comments on what he looks like from the batters box

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Encouraging first reports on Jungmann. I would love for him to prove me wrong, however it was likely the first any of our MLB hitters saw him live. The true test for both Jungmann and Bradley is how they perform once the other teams start to get a book on them.

I would classify myself as cautiously optimistic right now.

Did either of you happen to get any photos or video?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Encouraging first reports on Jungmann. I would love for him to prove me wrong, however it was likely the first any of our MLB hitters saw him live. The true test for both Jungmann and Bradley is how they perform once the other teams start to get a book on them.

If you haven't already, I recommend you read the Perfect Game top 10 prospects list for the Brewers that Colby linked in this subforum. Colby's colleague, who rated the Brewers' top 10, had a completely different take from yours on Jungmann's less than stellar K rate in college last season:

"Another very encouraging thing for Jungmann’s future is the adjustments that he made last year after the introduction of the new bats in college baseball. He began pitching to contact more aggressively instead of going after strikeouts, an adjustment that often takes pitchers years in the minors to fully make."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If you haven't already, I recommend you read the Perfect Game top 10 prospects list for the Brewers that Colby linked in this subforum. Colby's colleague, who rated the Brewers' top 10, had a completely different take from yours on Jungmann's less than stellar K rate in college last season:

"Another very encouraging thing for Jungmann’s future is the adjustments that he made last year after the introduction of the new bats in college baseball. He began pitching to contact more aggressively instead of going after strikeouts, an adjustment that often takes pitchers years in the minors to fully make."

Sorry for the slow response, I haven't been back since the 4th. I read it bro... There were very few glowing reports about his stuff pre draft, only Mayo wrote a glowing report, but he does that for everyone and for good reason, MLB wants fans to feel good about their draft picks, which of course is just good business. As I said I'm sure I watched him pitch his 2 worst starts in college, but regardless it's hard for me to get past what I see when I scrutinize a pitcher. It's one of the reasons I haven't been anywhere near as high on Scarpetta as most on this forum, outside of his curve, he was below average when I saw him pitch in WI, and I saw him more than any other pitcher that year. If you look in the draft forum I thought Jungmann was a pretty decent athlete for that level which projects well, he may be able to make adjustments much quicker than I had hoped.

They also had Fiers in the top 10 and the most glowing report on Gennett I've read anywhere. I didn't comment because you summed my feelings pretty well and I didn't want to do a +1 post. It might be easy to confuse my not liking a draft pick for whatever reason with me rooting against a young man, which is never the case. If someone wears the uniform of my favorite team, I want them to have success, even players I despised as completely overrated like McGehee and Hall for example, I would still want them to be successful, I was just extremely bitter when they weren't. I've been wrong before and I will be wrong again, I loved the Arnett pick, another multi-sport athlete with a big fastball and a plus slider... but the FB velocity disappeared with his confidence as his performance waned, hard to be more wrong than that.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

MLB wants fans to feel good about their draft picks, which of course is just good business.

Pretty much every top prospect ranker has very good things to say about Jungmann. It seems like he's starting the season on most of the top 100 lists. You seem to be basing your opinion of him mostly on his last few starts of the college season.

The reason I paid more attention to this PG review is that Patrick (colby) has been very fair in his prospect evals, & the comments about Gennett & Jungmann were the first in-depth analyses I'd seen on either guy beyond stats or Jungmann's delivery. I'm assuming colby's colleague at PG would be objective as well. Patrick was specifically held off doing the Brewers' top 10 list precisely because he's a Brewers fan. I don't see a fan bias.

MLB wants fans to feel good about their draft picks, which of course is just good business.

Pretty much every top prospect ranker has very good things to say about Jungmann. It seems like he's starting the season on most of the top 100 lists. You seem to be basing your opinion of him mostly on his last few starts of the college season.

The reason I paid more attention to this PG review is that Patrick (colby) has been very fair in his prospect evals, & the comments about Gennett & Jungmann were the first in-depth analyses I'd seen on either guy beyond stats or Jungmann's delivery. I'm assuming colby's colleague at PG would be objective as well. Patrick was specifically held off doing the Brewers' top 10 list precisely because he's a Brewers fan. I don't see a fan bias.

I guess that depends on what you are looking for in a scouting report. Personally I care about "stuff" first and his delivery second, then I'll go do some statistical analysis looking at IP, highest pitch counts, K rates, K:BB, etc, which is not so coincidentally the same way I evaluate the pitchers in our system. Pretty much every pitcher taken at the top of the draft is going to have a big arm and prototypical frame or they wouldn't be drafted in that position. Yes there were lots of reports that had nice things to say about Jungmann in that sense, but there very few positive reports on his stuff. In fact if you look at the draft forum discussion about the pick the only guru with overwhelmingly glowing report of Jungmann was Mayo, who writes for for MLB and MiLB.

I generally take time to read everything I can find on prospects I'm interested in, but I don't necessarily zero on in any single write-up or evaluation as my "truth" regarding a prospect. I'm going to take it all in and then form my own opinion which is going to be based on any number of factors. There isn't definitive right and wrong with this stuff, it's just differing shades of grey based on one's perspective.

I'm not one to make excuses for any player, so the whole he was worn down in the tourney excuse doesn't sit well with me, he's been pitching deep in the college postseason since he was a freshman, why would he tire now? He didn't look dominant when I saw him pitch, his secondary stuff isn't great, and I don't like his short stride at all. He has many positive qualities to be excited about, they just don't happen the factors that I tend to zero in on.

I could give a hoot where he's placed in top 100 lists at this point, BA's lumping of him and Bradley together in the 70s was laughable, it was a throw away ranking. Most places are going to rate them high because they were high draft picks in a deep draft in a league that's focusing on the position they play. There's nothing wrong with that type of thing, any list is going to be subjective, I'm just going to take the rankings for what they are and move on with life.

I'm not going to back away from my initial impression because people write good things about the young man before he's played in a game that counts for real. I want to see him perform over the course of a season, the same way I've done with every other prospect I've followed. Like I said, I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong, everyone knows how much I value pitching, and I'd much rather be hesitant about a guy and have him explode into an impact player than be really excited about a guy and have him tank miserably. I'll happy take a "we told you so TheCrew07" thread in September if my concerns prove baseless and Jungmann flies through the system with relative ease.

- Plato

- Plato

I'm not going to back away from my initial impression because people write good things about the young man.

Loud & clear. For me, the specific note made about Jungmann in the PG piece was new & relevant information. I tried to make it abundantly clear that that was my only point to you on Jungmann, but oh well.

• 3 weeks later...

I want to say Brad Krause is someone MassHaas has linked to in the past. I don't mean that as any kind of comment on your links, YG (thanks, btw, great to look through!). But am I remembering that correctly, MassHaas (or anyone)?

He does a great job, Krause Sports and Four Seam Images are my two favorites to check out for minor league pictures.

From the few pictures I saw last year of Arcia, wow he has started to grow nicely. Looks like he is a bit taller and has started to add some meat to his frame. Best part is he techniquely is only a high school senior (going by age, maybe even a junior depending on if he would have been an early or late start) so here is plent more room to grow.

Yeah, I really can't believe they've got him stateside already. This Brewers MiLB season is going to be a lot more interesting to follow than last season imo.

I was hoping they'd bring him state side but I was expecting him to be with all the other guys who come over and the young drafted kids in rookie instruction. No way did I see him at 17 coming over bypassing all the rookie games and being an everyday starter for Wisconsin through Nashville and performing well! If it was not for Rivera, after the way they have been aggressive with him, it would have not shocked me for him to start in Wisconsin. With Rivera there and needing to play everyday, I think he starts at Helena but is the first call him Rivera has to miss time.

I'm really excited for this season. We have a lot of young talent that can really start to breakout. That big 09' wave is hitting AA which is the shining moment to become prospects. Our rookie teams are fully loaded with young high school players with potential. Ramirez and Walla injuries hurt but excited for when they come back and are in Wisconsin. Rivera and Arcia can finally start to give us some real SS hope. We actually are pitcher prospect heavy in the first time in how long? I'm pumped! I do not think this is the 26th best milb system and hopefully they breakout and prove it

Archived