Brewer Fanatic

Yankees outright Dickerson

djoctagone

what happens if Gomez is injured or ends up really sucking?
That's why we should trade for Nyjer Morgan, but we won't.

Haha, that's great!

But in all seriousness, I was never sure why some were so high on Dickerson. He isn't a game changer. I think some people get way too attached to porspects because they put a lot of research in to them. Kind of like falling in love with a stock. You start to justify all it's faults and get caught on a few positives and think it's can't miss.

what happens if Gomez is injured or ends up really sucking?
That's why we should trade for Nyjer Morgan, but we won't.

Haha, that's great!

But in all seriousness, I was never sure why some were so high on Dickerson. He isn't a game changer. I think some people get way too attached to porspects because they put a lot of research in to them. Kind of like falling in love with a stock. You start to justify all it's faults and get caught on a few positives and think it's can't miss.

Could you at least read other people's arguments before you trash them? You're mischaracterizing the claims that people made for Dickerson's value. Show me where anyone characterized Dickerson as anything like a "game changer" or a "can't miss." You're just making that stuff up.

First of all, Dickerson wasn't a "prospect"; most of the arguments about him, pro and con, referred to his major league record (although the "con" side tended to fixate weirdly on his few dozen useless PAs as a Brewer in 2010 when IIRC he was coming off an injury, ignoring his prior MLB experience, so maybe that's why you made the "prospect" error). It seems like you want to find whatever occasion you can to flog an argument about how people overvalue prospects, but you'll need to peddle that overgeneralization somewhere else.

Dickerson was a fourth OF / platoon OF candidate. A bunch of us thought he was a pretty good fit for that sort of role, because he had shown some ability in the past. The team had a gaping need in CF, and Dickerson looked better to me and a lot of other people than Reed, Boggs, or Kotsay -- and, if we were talking about a "less bad" starting option, Gomez. Given the performance of that quartet last year, I'd still take Dickerson given the same circumstances (of course I'd rather have Gomez as the weak end of a platoon with Morgan, but we didn't have Morgan when these discussions were going on).

Also, the defenses of Dickerson in this thread were in the context of giving him away for the overpriced, utterly useless arm of Sergio Mitre. If your point is to defend Mitre's honor, please tell us more.

Gregmag, I wasn't trying to fire anyone up. I was actually laughing at the statement that we should "trade for Nyjer Morgan," because the guy called the trade prior to it happening. I thought that was sweet.

As for my other statement, I was just saying that I feel like as Brewer fans we sometimes make a big deal out of a small trade or move that DM makes. It was kind of trading garbage for garbage.

Archived