Brewer Fanatic

Attanasio to extend Melvin and Roenicke?

Invader3K

I'm really surprised there isn't a topic on this already. I guess it got lost in all the Braunageddon hysteria.

Here's a link from the JSOnline: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/140449033.html

Now the Ryan Braun saga is behind the Brewers and the focus is back on baseball, the next order of business for principal owner Mark Attanasio is extending the contract of general manager Doug Melvin.

And, once that deal is done, Melvin will address the contract of manager Ron Roenicke. At present, both Melvin and Roenicke are on the final years of their contract, though the club holds an option for 2013 on the skipper.

I personally have no problem with this, but I know others may feel different. What does everyone think?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I was kind of surprised to see the talk of extending Roenicke already myself. The players seem to like him, which counts for something I guess, but I agree that seeing how we start the season off would probably be prudent. If we're doing well, extend him at the all star break or something.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I kind of agree that there shouldn't be a big rush to extend Roenicke, but I wouldn't have a big problem with it. I don't want this franchise to turn into one that hires a new manager every couple years.

As for Melvin, he should get a nice 3-4 year extension. Good GMs don't grow on trees, and he's the most successful one the Brewers have ever had.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It seems kind of unusual that Roenicke hasn't already been extended. Most teams, the Brewers included, prefer not to have a lame duck manager.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't see what could happen that would change their minds about either of these things. If the Brewers come out with a bad start it will be hard to pin it on the Manager and I can't see any reason to randomly replace Melvin during one of the better stretches in franchise history.

They could just make his option year official or whatever, but I wouldn't want to give him any years past that yet.

What often happens is that the option is guaranteed and another year's option is added. I'd support that to avoid the lame duck thing.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I kind of agree that there shouldn't be a big rush to extend Roenicke, but I wouldn't have a big problem with it. I don't want this franchise to turn into one that hires a new manager every couple years.

As for Melvin, he should get a nice 3-4 year extension. Good GMs don't grow on trees, and he's the most successful one the Brewers have ever had.

Agreed. I actually am a Roenicke supporter but I agree that this could wait until the middle of the season to see how he has adjusted from some mistakes he made as a rookie manager. The lineup and his handling of it this year will be a big determining factor in what I think of Roenicke's adjustments.

I am totally fine with both of these moves. Melvin has got to be nearing the end of his tenure though. probably another 5 or so years maybe. Roenicke had a fine year last year imo and I actually don't mind his style of play usually. His contract will probably match Melvin's in length cause if Roenicke doesn't work out then I doubt Melvin gets a 4th try.

Melvin?

I'd pick up the option and see how the 2012 offseason went. A lot depends on the success of the Fielder replacement plan. if Gamel struggles and/ or ramirez age related drop accelerates the offense is in trouble. If we can't extend Grienke or they extend Marcum we lose 2-3 starters and likely pick up Wolf's option which would hamstring the budget for below average performance. If many things go wrong/bad we are looking at a rebuild and Melvin is not the right GM for a rebuild with the current farm system. Melvin's an old school GM who's days are numbered so this is probably his last gig and lucky for him he's working for an owner who still thinks moneyball is a lottery game.

Roenicke?

The players love him so that must make him a good manager. As much as i think Ron is an idiot, as long as Melvin is picking the manager we might as well keep the moron we know.

I actually don't think Roenicke is an idiot, which is why it's frustrating to see him play small-ball. He was part of an Angels team that won a WS with that style, so my guess is he thinks that approach is the one that has to be disproved.

But I do think he's smart, and open to being proven wrong in terms of strategy. My guess is he won't stop bunting, but when he talks about being open to conflicting opinions, I believe him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Thinking that 30 or so spring training at bats meant Carlos Gomez had changed his approach and was a good hitter (by the way, he didn't walk once) and should hit second in the lineup had me sold on RRR not having a clue about an offense or run production... not to mention his foolish idea to start Mark Kotsay in CF. Ever.

This idea that the players love RRR is just foolish. They love winning. Funny how that coincided with actually having a pitching staff last year. Makes me feel bad for Macha.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Thinking that 30 or so spring training at bats meant Carlos Gomez had changed his approach and was a good hitter (by the way, he didn't walk once) and should hit second in the lineup had me sold on RRR not having a clue about an offense or run production... not to mention his foolish idea to start Mark Kotsay in CF. Ever.

It's not that I expect RR to figure out what players are good or bad after 30 training AB. I expect him to not be so absolutely foolish as to think he ever could have. And on top of it, he was absolutely dumbfounded when Gomez turned out to be exactly the hitter he's always been. Same old, same old.

"The Kotsay in CF in that playoff game was a fatal offense. It was Yost-Shouse-Burrell bad."

That was exactly what I was going to say. I think I could have lived with him until game 3 happened. Game 3 is my RRR defined moment, and it's pretty much unforgivable.

Melvin should certainly be allowed to stick around for a few more years but I think it is premature to discuss a RR extension right now. The guy was handed a whole bunch of talnet on a platter. Lets see how he handles players and strategy this year before getting too excited. He'll need to be able to develop young, emerging and scrap heap talent if he is going to stick around. lets see how he does with some of this years projects.

I'm good with extending RR. His rookie year wasn't flawless by any means, but the results were good over all and it was his rookie year. You can't expect a rookie to perform like a multi-year vet in any job, much less this particular job, wherein experience seems almost invaluable.

I'm not a Roenicke fan, but I think most managers are extended rather than letting them play out their contract. As someone stated, I'd expect the option to be exercised so he's not a "lame duck," and maybe have another option year added. I'm sure Attanasio isn't thinking about giving him a five year deal or anything like that.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Ya I'm cool with extending RRR but I think it's more a formality. For the most part I'm good with him but I do think he needs to show growth this year. He puzzles me at times but I like his style. I'm also on board with whoever said, they don't want us to be the team that gets a new manager every 2-3 years. It would be great to have a coach and GM that are around for a good chunck of years and work well together.

That leads me to DM. He's not perfect but the Brewers sure are way more relivant now. I have to give him credit for that. I know there are many others involved in making this team succesful, but when things are bad, the GM tends to get most of the blame. So I want to give him most of the credit right now. I also think that it's a tough spot to be a GM for a mid market team because you have to make bold moves at times. If they work, it's great. If they don't, it can hancuff a team for a long time.

Archived