Brewer Fanatic

New Van Halen

TURBO

I don't see a lot of love around these parts for good old fashioned hard rock and roll, but does anyone have any feelings yet on their new release?

I picked it up a couple of weeks ago.

I really miss the background vocals of Michael Anthony, who in my opinion was one of their strengths on both base, and back-up vocals. Without his signature high pitched voice, it just doesn't sound the same.

That said, I like it, but need to listen to it more to give my full opinion.

The lead song, Tattoo, is surely not their best tune on the album, it may be the most radio friendly one though. To me, the song is average Van Halen.

David Lee Roth's voice sounds great, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he can still wail, but I think his voice is more similiar to his solo days, after Van Halen, than the first few classic Van Halen albums.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I have been playing it constantly since picking it up.

I think most big-time VH fans feel Tattoo is one of the weaker tunes, but it is radio friendly and may appeal more to the casual fan.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I haven't listened to the album all the way through, but I like what I've heard so far. DLR doesn't have the range he used to, but it almost sounds like he's controlling what he has better than on the early Van Halen albums.

As a bass player, I miss Michael Anthony playing with them. Wolfgang does a good job handling the bass lines, I have to say. Anthony's background vocals are definitely missing, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

After giving it a few more plays (actually, probably 10-15 more....haven't had it out of the car stereo since my original post) I have become hooked on it! The more I lsiten to it, the more I like it.

Looks like it took me a few plays, but once it set in, I think it is great, beyond great, I FREAKING LOVE IT!

Wish Michael Anthony was still with them though. Tattoo is weak, in fact, I always flip past it to get to the good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the number of replies in this thread, times have really changed musically...

There was a time that a new Van Halen disc would have caused a lot more buzz. Especially with David Lee Roth back as frontman. Oh well, I must be getting old.

I've listened to it a few times trying to find the song I really like. "Stay Frosty" is probably my most liked song on the album, and I was hard pressed for that. Maybe because it seems to resemble IceCream Man. For me there was no song that I can really rock and sing along with.

I didn't mind the Haggar years (loved For U K N) as I thought he really tried to appeal to the masses.

Archived