Brewer Fanatic

The Collector's Identity

JET15

I think it goes without saying that the Ryan Braun sample collector/courier is a highly sought person right now. The media must be trying very hard to find that person or person(s), as it may be a father/son team, or something like that.

Should their identity remain hidden? Will they be compelled to come forward to say their side of the story or will they remain in hiding? Do you think someone goes to the press with the scoop because there's a good chance they've already talked to friends about it? If they are revealed, would they be hassled so much that we have a mini-Bartman situation in Milwaukee?

I can't help but wonder about all of these things at this point after that press conference

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Careful. This could run a heck of a lot deeper than some rogue sample collector who's a Cub or Cardinal fan.

Think about it. What player in the 2011 postseason had a. more impact on his team than the league MVP and b. was more conscious of his public image than Braun?

The results of the test were told to him on the 19th of October. That would have right at the start of the World Series. What's the most famous scandal involving the World Series? Nothing like having a distracted MVP on one of the World Series teams to make a big time gambler feel confident.

Gambling interests could be behind all of this. I fear for the safety of the collector, even if he's dirty.

Careful. This could run a heck of a lot deeper than some rogue sample collector who's a Cub or Cardinal fan.

Think about it. What player in the 2011 postseason had a. more impact on his team than the league MVP and b. was more conscious of his public image than Braun?

The results of the test were told to him on the 19th of October. That would have right at the start of the World Series. What's the most famous scandal involving the World Series? Nothing like having a distracted MVP on one of the World Series teams to make a big time gambler feel confident.

Gambling interests could be behind all of this. I fear for the safety of the collector, even if he's dirty.

Wow, that's a conspiracy theory right there.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

If you want a conspiracy theory try this one on for size. The failed test matches almost perfectly with the total collapse of the pitchers for the Brewers which at the time by the eye test was largely due to a joke of a strike zone they were given for most of the post season. Basically if it wasn't right down the middle it was a ball. I'd love to see some Pitch F/X data from those games just to compare the strike zones just to make the nagging thought go out of my head.

The guy messed up. I hope for his sake the identity isn't publicly revealed, since everyone makes mistakes. I really don't think the guy would have tampered with anything with his son present, but I guess I do have a sliver of hope left for humanity.

It'd be interesting to see the reaction if the identity did become public knowledge. I think a lot of people would look at him with contempt, but if he does his job and ships out the sample on time, we most likely get an announcement of Braun's suspension being upheld yesterday. His lapse in judgment gave Braun's side all they needed to make a case. Without it, it would've been nearly impossible for Braun to win.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I have an incredibly hard time believing that there was any intentional foul play involved here.

And I also think it's pretty shameful that this thread exists here. EDIT: to clarify, I have nothing but respect for the OP, JET15. I just think it's the kind of thing that BF.net has always strived to stay above.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The guy messed up. I hope for his sake the identity isn't publicly revealed, since everyone makes mistakes. I really don't think the guy would have tampered with anything with his son present, but I guess I do have a sliver of hope left for humanity.

It'd be interesting to see the reaction if the identity did become public knowledge. I think a lot of people would look at him with contempt, but if he does his job and ships out the sample on time, we most likely get an announcement of Braun's suspension being upheld yesterday. His lapse in judgment gave Braun's side all they needed to make a case. Without it, it would've been nearly impossible for Braun to win.

But that's assuming that Braun would have tested positive regardless, which I'm not so sure is the case (and really is impossible to know). There are different theories floating out there about tampering, bacterial infection because of sitting out at the wrong temperature, etc.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Well if they know the guys phone number; it is only a matter of time before they show up at his house. Sooner or later the guy will either have to disappear or speak. I understand the guys unwillingness to become a public figure though. His life as he knows it will certainly be changed forever. If he gets exposed and it turned out he didn't intentionally do anything or atleast wasn't a blubbering idiot I will feel bad for the guy. On the otherside if it is proven that he was willfully negligent or acted with malice I hope he gets whatever is coming to him

He's either dirty or the victim of circumstance (circumstances which may be related to a level of negligence on his part). So he's basically in the same position as Braun, except that if he's formally accused of being dirty he'll get the legal benefit of the doubt.

"all samples shall be taken immediately to fedex on the day they’re collected absent unusual circumstances". that's what the joint drug prevention and treatment program states.

there needs to be a clause on protocols for when "unusual circumstances" occur: the unusual circumstances need to be reported immediately to a supervisor, the supervisor has to be fully compliant in sharing all details of the unusual circumstances with mlb and the players' union, etc.

one can only assume that when immediately made aware of unusual circumstances, management would find a way to fulfill the task at hand--which is transferring the shipment to an authorized carrier. in other words, a competent manager would have known that a 24-hour fed ex facility is available at mitchell international airport, and would have instructed the collector to drive there.

ryan braun did not give any indication that the collector made any effort to discuss the situation with a superior or a co-worker. at this point, we're led to believe that the collector had no contact with any person of authority at comprehensive drug testing, inc. during those 44 hours.

And I also think it's pretty shameful that this thread exists here. EDIT: to clarify, I have nothing but respect for the OP, JET15. I just think it's the kind of thing that BF.net has always strived to stay above.

I thought twice about posting it, but like I said, it's something everyone is already thinking after hearing that news conference.

Oh, and for the record, I posted it an hour before the Michael Hunt article. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/conspiracy-aside-brauns-sincerity-shines-through-634aqd3-140333773.html.

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Archived