Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun exonerated, no suspension… Latest: MLB drops Eliezer Alfonzo suspension; case similar to Braun's (part 1)

dlk9s
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/140226473.html

This pretty much confirms that the only reason he got off was because of the sample not being sent out for 2 days.

I don't think it's the only reason though. Breaking that procedure allows you to call into question the abnormally high test and Braun's subsequent and previous test. Without the chain of custody issue, those arguments lose weight.

Calling it a technicality is an attempt to diminish the result.

The reaction by Ravech, the goons in Chicago, etc., are exactly why Braun needs to file suit for the leak. And I think he will as he indicated this is "the first step" in restoring his reputation. He shouldn't have to restore anything.

The sample is evidence. If the prosecution in a criminal case doesn't establish a proper chain of custody for evidence, then they can't make a case. Its that simple. It's prosecution 101. That Braun's defense focused on this aspect mean there weren't other issues but it was easily the most likely route to the ruling they wanted.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/140226473.html

This pretty much confirms that the only reason he got off was because of the sample not being sent out for 2 days.

I don't think it's the only reason though. Breaking that procedure allows you to call into question the abnormally high test and Braun's subsequent and previous test. Without the chain of custody issue, those arguments lose weight.

Amen to that. There's a reason chain of custody is important.

Eric Byrnes said he thinks someone in Ryan Braun's camp was the first to leak the news of a positive test....what?

That's what a couple posters here said as well. I think it was Jeffy and someone else. Except it makes no sense whatsoever. If he didnt leak the news none of this ever makes the news and he is as clean as can be in the public eye. NONE of this would be public knowledge. He has zero to gain by leaking the info. I guess someone from his camp could have mistakenly done it but it is much more likely it came from MLB.

Amen to that. There's a reason chain of custody is important.

Absolutely. Once three was a break in chain of custody, the sample is compromised and worthless, no exceptions. What I am wondering is about the report form Dan Patrick that 2 other Brewers had off testosterone levels as well. Were these samples kept in the tester's fridge also?

Buster Olney is seriously defending himself against everyone on twitter

it is amazing lol

He got absolutely owned right here.

@AndyMonfre @HelloKittysBf Key word: 'Offer.' And as I wrote, knowing that Writers wouldn't take it back. It was a suggested PR track.

@Buster_ESPN How would this have been good PR? "NL MVP Braun Offers to Give Back MVP, A Move That Likely Suggests Guilt"

@AndyMonfre To me,he would have appeared magnanimous,with the best interests of baseball at heart. But I never wrote he should give it back.

@Buster_ESPN If you were accused of plagarism, would you give back your AP award before your trial (knowing you were innocent) for PR sake?

@AndyMonfre Difficult to answer without specifics,but getting ahead of worst possible outcome is standard operating procedure in politics.

Exactly. And the other samples that showed high levels makes it clear that the samples were compromised. I doubt that Braun's group just went in and said "the tester didn't follow protocol so Ryan is innocent". They clearly swayed the arbitrator that the other samples that also showed elevated T from the same day is a clear indication that chain of custody lead to a COMPROMISED sample. The arbitrator may have agreed that the issue was not simply that the tester didn't follow protocol, but that the tester didn't follow protocol and multiple samples had abnormal readings. Braun's was probably just the worst. In the absence of poor performance of 2 other samples would the arbitrator still have sided with Braun? Maybe, but I'm glad we will not have to worry about that.

What I am wondering is about the report form Dan Patrick that 2 other Brewers had off testosterone levels as well. Were these samples kept in the tester's fridge also?

Bingo. Between that and the absurd never-this-high level in Braun's sample, there's more than enough there to at least establish a reasonable doubt.

The chain of custody is not a technicality when you consider that this collector kept urine in his fridge at his own house.

Suddenly a can of worms opens. He's got Braun's urine in his fridge? Does he have someone else's urine in his fridge? Does he do this routinely? Has urine spilled in his fridge?

That right there is already enough to clear Braun.

John 19:30 ...It is finished...

Whew.

EDIT: It doesn't feel right to celebrate knowing that Braun's rep has still been trashed by this whole ordeal, but obviously that was going to happen in either outcome so there's joy in the outcome that doesn't involve suspension. And maybe some micro-fraction of public perception will be swayed away from thinking he cheated due to the exoneration.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Here's another angle to consider.

As many have posted, chain of custody is important for a lot of reason, not least of which is maintaining the scientific basis of the testing procedure.

At some point in this process MLB had to become aware of the problem with chain of custody, possibly from day 1, and yet they decided that they had to press the case anyway. I have little doubt that they though that they would win anyway. What does that tell you about the general integrity of the system?

But even if they didn't win, they could minimize the damage after the fact by saying that they really should have won (and by implication that Braun is dirty), by playing off on the "technicality" angle.

As I posted way back at the start of the thread, the outcome of the case doesn't get us much closer to "the truth" than we were at the start. MLB had a simple job to do and they would have won regardless of the truth. They blew it. It doesn't change things one iota that Braun was vindicated in that way. If MLB had done their job impartially he wouldn't have had to be vindicated at all.

Listening to 670 out of Chicago on the way home, these guys are pissed. They are stating that it's pretty obvious this was Bud Selig's doing, they are 100% sure he did it, that it's a fact that Clay Matthews is also on roids, and calling anyone from Wisconsin an idiot.

Yeah, I normally love listening to B & B, but had to turn them off on my way home. A lawyer called in and explained the importance of chain of custody and that it is NOT a technicality and they just dismissed him because they're minds were already made up since Bud is "involved" (even though MLB is outraged by this decision).

Is this really the current rumor that is running around? And it has been substantiated by what? It took an independent panel more than 45 days to determine something that open and shut?

I love how we've learned nothing from this whole situation and everyone continues to base opinions on bogus sounding rumors.

At some point in this process MLB had to become aware of the problem with chain of custody, possibly from day 1, and yet they decided that they had to press the case anyway. I have little doubt that they though that they would win anyway. What does that tell you about the general integrity of the system?

Thanks for mentioning this. This case should have been thrown out the second they heard "so I took the sample to my home".

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Who are B&B on AM670?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived