Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun exonerated, no suspension… Latest: MLB drops Eliezer Alfonzo suspension; case similar to Braun's (part 1)

dlk9s
I'm disappointed in MLB's response. I wish they would have just said, "We disagree with the results. We fully back the testing process. But we are going to learn from the situation and make things better so that a situation like this does not happen again."

Instead they are acting like Braun is guilty, which sucks.

MLB is doing this to protect the integrity of future tests, I really don't care if fans in St. Louis, Chicago or whereever think he's guilty. Being a season ticket holder I want Braun on the field. I like the Brewers more than the Packers and I would love to see another season like last year.

There is always going to be naysayers about Braun, who cares, let Braun and others worry about that. Meanwhile #8 will be in left field on opening day!!!!

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From ESPN:

Braun didn't argue evidence of tampering, didn't argue anything about science being wrong but argued protocol had not been followed. A second source confirmed to ESPN investigative reporter Mark Fainaru-Wada that Braun did not dispute the science but rather questioned chain of custody/collection procedure.

According to one of the sources, the collector, after getting Braun's sample, was supposed to take the sample to FedEx/Kinkos for shipping but thought it was closed because it was late on a Saturday. As has occurred in some other instances, the collector took the sample home and kept it refrigerated. Policy states that the sample is supposed to get to FedEx as soon as possible.

Braun's initial T/E ratio was more than 20:1. And sources previously confirmed synthetic testosterone in his system. Source says MLB is livid and is considering options and other comment.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7608360/ryan-braun-wins-appeal-50-game-suspension

That MLB is 'considering options' is annoying.

Community Moderator

Kruk: "If the test was positive then he should be suspended for 50 days if he failed the drug test."

"Shame on Ryan Braun for not coming out and saying hey, I did it."

"I'm not accusing him of anything, but IF he failed the test, he should stand up and say it."

He just said all this live on ESPN.

All Kruk is saying that if the sample that supposedly sat around for a couple days would have tested positive regardless, it's wrong that Braun shouldn't be suspended. He said he obviously has no idea if this supposed delay would or would not mess up the test and that he's not accusing Braun of anything, but he's disappointed at the idea that a player could get off on a technicality.

It's an understandable opinion.

What options can they possibly have? They setup the system. They have an agreement with the Players Union on it. The arbitrator ruled. That's the end of it isn't it? If the suspension was upheld, would Braun have had "options"? I doubt it very much so.

I love how ESPN and everyone else is just ignoring the fact that for 2 days the test sat with some guy in his house. Who knows what was done, who came/went, etc. That is a long period and when levels come back that are that extreme, those 2 days really make a glaring hole in the process. Also, no, Braun didn't test the science of it, what was he supposed to say?

Wow! I am so happy for Braun and the Brewers. I can't wait to hear all the details. It sounds like Braun got off on a technicality, but if the people handling the sample weren't following the correct procedure then that's their own fault. This was a long appeal process and I think regardless of the outcome we have to respect the decision.

Way to go Braun, let's get this season started!

I'd love to have some news outlet find out who "the collector" is and sit him down for an interview.

This is egg all over MLB's drug testing face - you are MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL and you can't get a sample transferred to a lab without having some schmo "allegedly" take it home and set it next to his case of busch light in his fridge? I put "allegedly" in quotes because that's what MLB claims their collector did without any legal proof of it.

"EXONERATED" really?

I don't think I would call getting off on a technicality such as this being exonerated. Glad he does not get suspended, but this hardly proves his innocence or that this was "BS".

Ryan's spin machine told us:

"There are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case which will support Ryan's complete innocence..."

A 2 day shipping delay does not fit that description, IMO.

Has that 4 letter network appolgized yet?

For what exactly? They had a source that said Braun failed a test. He had a positive sample which would indicate a failed test. What did they do wrong?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It sounds like the 'collectors' had done this before - taken packages home with them when they couldn't get them to FedEx.

Sort of bizarre - the 'best' system in world relying on something like this.

As I said before, I wish MLB had said they stand by their system, but they'll learn from it, and make the process better so this sort of dispute doesn't occur again.

On a semi related note, who does Eric Byrnes' hair? He looks like a complete tool, and sounds like the late infomercial huckster Don Lapre.

How dare you speak ill of Eric Byrnes.

I don't watch MLB network too much- especially during the off season, so I haven't noticed him before. Is he fairly new?

For what exactly? They had a source that said Braun failed a test. He had a positive sample which would indicate a failed test. What did they do wrong?

Are they guilty of violating his HIPAA rights(for releasing this info), or the source? Serious question here, as if it's them, they need to apologize.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

That's exactly what Buster Olney is saying. The story was correct. He tested positive. No dispute there.

I actually don't blame ESPN in this instance - but whomever gave them the story. That was a breech of the system that screwed over Braun. And now it's screwing over MLB, because it's calling into question their processes.

I'm guessing there is more to this than just the "protocol", which is enough in any event to make the result suspect.

As noted above by Fear the Chorizo, this sample wouldn't even BE evidence in a civil or criminal trial. In this case, all the the matter of protocol does is require MLB to go farther in proving that the test is valid. In other words, even with this "technicality", MLB STILL had a chance to win the case, but now they had to prove their side to the satisfaction of the arbitrator. The fact that they didn't leads me to believe that it's more than just a simple "oops" situation with the courier (which is a nice, convenient argument for those who still want to villify Braun to make). There have been plenty of "chain of custody" arguments made in past drug hearings, and several that have worked to shift the burden back to the governing body, but very often the governing body wins anyway.

They reported that he tested positive for PEDs. We were almost immediately told by every other news agency that was not the case.

Archived