Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun exonerated, no suspension… Latest: MLB drops Eliezer Alfonzo suspension; case similar to Braun's (part 1)

dlk9s
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How exactly is he getting that information?

That means what? that he got really lucky and escaped on that? In that someone could have tampered with it? That could be part of the argument, but that really doesn't make much sense as far as the "highly unusual circumstances".

Jon Heyman ‏ @JonHeymanCBS

part of braun's argument was that the chain of custody was broken for 2 days, meaning the sample was left unprotected

Seriously?? 2 days all by itself seems like an awful long time to this man.

Especially when you add the absurdly high levels of the test, makes it seem like there was a decent chance it was tampered with. Wonder where LaRussa was those 2 days.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nice statement by Braun. A lot of people think he's cocky and arrogant - but it's a respectful and measured response to a situation that will, undoubtedly, cost him millions of dollars over the course of his career.

Well done, Ryan. Look forward to a monster 2012.

Not that I expected it, but no word on the "other 2 Brewers" that were under suspicion. I wonder of 3 Brewers testing high (extremely high in Braun's case) caused some doubt in the testing process (i.e. spiked by someone).

Those tests were thrown out right away, weren't they?

Considering that these cases are built entirely on technicalities, saying that someone "got off on a technicality" is pretty stupid and pointless.

Very happy for Braunie and Brewers fans everywhere.

Not necessarily, I mean what if the guy who took Braun's sample misspelled his name on the test tube and they had to throw it out? If it is a technicality like that it looks very bad for Braun, if it is something like the first test gave a false positive then its not a big deal.

IF it is truly a technicality in that very limited sense, then it looks bad for Braun. On the other hand, these are all extraordinarily complicated tests, the validity of which are dependant on following procedures extremely closely. When the entire case rests upon doing things exaclty right to get a vaild result, and you are going to construct a system in which the person not in control of the process or the evidence must essentially prove a negative, there should be no such thing as saying that the accused "got off easy". The system was stacked in MLB's favor. Either Bruan is innocent or MLB lost a stacked game. Whining after the fact in either case is extraordinarily poor form.

Ryan is and always will be my favorite brewer and co favorite player of all time. right up there with Aaron Rodgers. Seeing the way Rodgers has come to Braun's defense is just such a great feeling, knowing that my 2 favorite players are great friends. I am glad Braun can finally be considered clean. Ill admit being a grown man i almost broke down in tears that night I heard of the suspension. This is just such a great feeling right now

A "technicality" of a broken chain of custody for 2 days is a big flippin' technicality. I work for an environmental consulting firm that deals with alot of litigation cases, and if any sample being used to support a case doesn't have airtight chain of custody records, it's thrown out. temperature changes alone can cause all kinds of false detections or non-detects of compounds, depending on analytical methods and what you're testing for. Also, chains of custody are scrutinized more closely on samples that appear to be outliers in data sets. Legally, a broken chain of custody invalidates the sample results because the result can't be proven or disproved - it's like the sample never existed. The solution is to resample.

2 days of a broken chain of custody is a huge timeframe for this sort of thing, too. I'd be interested to know what the acceptable holding time is for a sample like this that isn't frozen/chilled. Biological samples tend to alter themselves more quickly if they aren't properly stored.

I'd be interested to know what the acceptable holding time is for a sample like this that isn't frozen/chilled. Biological samples tend to alter themselves more quickly if they aren't properly stored.

You mean like altering to the point that testosterone levels are reportedly INSANELY HIGH? This seriously makes a ton of sense.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
A "technicality" of a broken chain of custody for 2 days is a big flippin' technicality.

You nailed it Fear. To leave a sample unattended for two days is ridiculous. It's huge. No one knows what can happen in those two days.

Sadly, Braunie will always be a PEDs guy to some people.

I just hope he responds with a monster year, just to show the doubters how good he is.

Archived