Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun exonerated, no suspension… Latest: MLB drops Eliezer Alfonzo suspension; case similar to Braun's (part 1)

dlk9s
I just wanted to mention a thought on the DNA test and whether Braun offered or backed off taking it. Braun's angle clearly seems to be that the urine sample was tampered with or mishandled. That would make the sample his DNA either way, whether it was tampered with/mishandled or truly positive. In that case I can easily see why Braun would back off taking a DNA test as it wouldn't prove anything either way.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just wanted to mention a thought on the DNA test and whether Braun offered or backed off taking it. Braun's angle clearly seems to be that the urine sample was tampered with. That would make the sample his DNA either way, whether it was tampered with or truly positive. In that case I can easily see why Braun would back off taking a DNA test as it wouldn't prove anything either way.

I think that's the angle that's being sold or spun after the fact. At the hearing the whole point of bringing up the chain of custody issue was to shift the burden of persuasion back onto MLB which was the smart tactical goal. It's clear that they simply don't know why the test turned out like it did, if Braun is in fact innocent. The whole DNA thing may simply have been a ploy on the Braun camp's part, especially if the MLB case unhinged a bit after the impact of the CoC stuff became clear. It's likely that MLB themselves weren't clear as to what happened, especially if the courier's testimony looked bad, and if there was ANY possibility that it wasn't Braun's sample MLB simply couldn't afford to take that chance when first offered (an offer which, if actually made, was probably stunning to the MLB counsel).

Can you imagine if they immediately accepted the offer and it actually turned out that they had the wrong sample as proved by DNA? The public relations disaster would have been of biblical proportions. MLB may have figured out after the offer was made that they should have accepted immediately, but by then it was too late and the Braun camp had a useful post-case talking point in their arsenal if needed.

This is all pure speculation, but I think from all I've seen and heard so far that Braun's camp was much better prepared for a real fight than the MLB side that probably arrogantly figured they'd just paint-by-numbers on this case an win without too much trouble.

-----

Continued here:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=30583

Archived