Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun exonerated, no suspension… Latest: MLB drops Eliezer Alfonzo suspension; case similar to Braun's (part 1)

dlk9s

The more I read/listen the more it becomes apparent that even media outlets that are making an attempt to be fair just don't get it.

You can't put up a poll question or fish for comments on the subject "Who is to blame?" without at least implicitly taking the position that Braun is a cheat who got away with it and that the exercise to be engaged in now is the assignment of blame for that state of affairs. The cart is so far before the horse in all this coverage that you can't even see the cart with the unaided eye.

The only thing keeping us from still burning witches (in most of the world) is our secular techological advancement. The human mind is clearly still a fertile place for the kind of psychology that leads to such acts.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The most important thing is that it wasnt a technicality. A technicality would be that the sample was late and that was all. If that was all Braun would be facing a 50 game suspension. The facts appear to be that the sample was late and Braun's team was able to demonstrate, consistently, that the extra time sitting around in some guys house would case the sample to break down in a fashion that would case the eleveted ratio. That isnt being reported enough.

The most important thing is that it wasnt a technicality. A technicality would be that the sample was late and that was all. If that was all Braun would be facing a 50 game suspension. The facts appear to be that the sample was late and Braun's team was able to demonstrate, consistently, that the extra time sitting around in some guys house would case the sample to break down in a fashion that would case the eleveted ratio. That isnt being reported enough.

well said. i think braun will really hammer this home.

The two days sitting in some guys refrigerator (or wherever it sat) is one thing, but the two things that really stick out in my mind as far as what we know (or think we know) so far is this:

A) The 3 times more than any previous result thing. If this is true (and it sounds more and more like it is), then how could anyone take the test results seriously? They should have thrown out this result immediately and wouldn't Bruan's demeaner been very visibley altered if the levels were that high?

B) The reports that the testing facility should never have accepted a sample that was delayed. It would have been nice to know what would have happened if they just followed this simple procedure.

I think there is always a danger with anyone who does screening or auditing to fall into a "lazy" rut and possibly ignore procedures regardless of the importance of the subject matter, especially if the results of the audit or screen are negative 99% of the time. So, in this regard, it does bother me that MLB acts like they are immune to making mistakes. No one should expect them to be perfect. That's why there is an appeals process.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

I've been dying for a new sig...thanks Nottso :)

If anyone can post a link to a video of Braun's announcement or even just a recap, it would be greatly appreciated. Not sure I'll be able to get away for it.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Excellent point. As we've learned through Lester Munson and Will Carroll's interviews this morning, it's not just that it was sitting around for a while. Braun's attorneys were actually able to replicate the results, which is huge.

Also, don't forget that Lester Munson reported that Braun offered to do a DNA test to show that the urine wasn't his, and MLB said no.

The two days sitting in some guys refrigerator (or wherever it sat) is one thing, but the two things that really stick out in my mind as far as what we know (or think we know) so far is this:

A) The 3 times more than any previous result thing. If this is true (and it sounds more and more like it is), then how could anyone take the test results seriously? They should have thrown out this result immediately and wouldn't Bruan's demeaner been very visibley altered if the levels were that high?

Munson said on the radio that it was actually sitting on the guy's desk for two days. We've also heard basement. Also not sure exactly how relevant this is, but Munson says the collector is a part-timer and he does this on the side. Works in a hospital otherwise. Then again, if he works in a hospital lab you'd think he'd be qualified to do this sort of thing.

I'm just curious if the collector had like 3-4 dozen samples from players sitting in a minifridge for a weekend (everyone's required to be tested during the postseason, correct?). If not, why is it just Braun's sample? I know there are certainly circumstances that require samples to be held by the collector for a period of time prior to shipment/delivery to the testing lab, but to think MLB couldn't coordinate a more efficient way to get these samples to the lab is silly.

So, we know with some certainty now that the issue was bigger than a "technicality", which should be surprising to no one given the rigor of MLB's testing process. Incidentally, it's just so ironic that talking heads chose to write off this decision this way after talking up the strength of the 13-0 record until yesterday.

There's still something missing here, in my view, and maybe you all can help me out. If the entirety of the explanation follows the trail of Carroll's scientific explanation involving identified and repeatable degradation of the sample upon improper or extended storage, then MLB's reaction doesn't make sense to me.

If I was MLB, in that case, I would take the result as a win (many have discussed this previously). I would throw the employee of the testing agency under the bus, individually, and claim that the process is still whole and reliable. It's actually a fairly easy message.

Yes, MLB is talking about amending the policy to prevent the so-called chain of custody break, but they could do that while still coming out claiming the process worked.

So, why aren't they taking this as a win? It seems like it's the smart thing to do. MLB has smart PR people. That's standard spin. What else is going on that is making them go so negative? There really must be something deeper that calls into question their entire process, and I predict that we'll hear it from Braun - the PR mission thus far may have been to undermine his credibility on his eventual announcement.

Carroll made a comment that if MLB really did take this to court (he said there was no way they would) that MLB would be forced to give full disclosure of their whole process. That would lead to other issues being brought up which would make it way easier for other players to appeal as well. he made it sound like this is why they wouldn't take it to court

I just listened to the full Carroll interview. That combined with Lester Munson saying the sample was in fact kept in tupperware on the guys kitchen table and not refrigerated for 2 days should be all the exoneration Braun needs. On October 1 the game time temp was 67 and on October 2nd it was 73. It's not likely that this guy had his AC on, and I recall that Sunday Packers played the Broncos and it was sunny so temps inside a house likely could have easily been 75 degrees, hardly a cool, dry place.

The nonsense threat that MLB will take it to court is simply an attempt to discourage Braun and his team from doing exactly that for this process having severely damaged his character and earning power in endorsements.

Well my question is how could keeping the sample at room temperature transform the sample into a a monstrously high positive test? I guess that is what Braun's team was able to prove but I am no scientist and can't fathom how that could possibly happen. Not to mention the positive test included synthetic T.

Well my question is how could keeping the sample at room temperature transform the sample into a a monstrously high positive test? I guess that is what Braun's team was able to prove but I am no scientist and can't fathom how that could possibly happen. Not to mention the positive test included synthetic T.

Pure guess... Braun took a substance that is allowed by MLB, but the poor handling of the sample caused the levels to go out of whack.

So, we know with some certainty now that the issue was bigger than a "technicality", which should be surprising to no one given the rigor of MLB's testing process. Incidentally, it's just so ironic that talking heads chose to write off this decision this way after talking up the strength of the 13-0 record until yesterday.

There's still something missing here, in my view, and maybe you all can help me out. If the entirety of the explanation follows the trail of Carroll's scientific explanation involving identified and repeatable degradation of the sample upon improper or extended storage, then MLB's reaction doesn't make sense to me.

If I was MLB, in that case, I would take the result as a win (many have discussed this previously). I would throw the employee of the testing agency under the bus, individually, and claim that the process is still whole and reliable. It's actually a fairly easy message.

Yes, MLB is talking about amending the policy to prevent the so-called chain of custody break, but they could do that while still coming out claiming the process worked.

So, why aren't they taking this as a win? It seems like it's the smart thing to do. MLB has smart PR people. That's standard spin. What else is going on that is making them go so negative? There really must be something deeper that calls into question their entire process, and I predict that we'll hear it from Braun - the PR mission thus far may have been to undermine his credibility on his eventual announcement.

I also am scratching my head at the whole MLB reaction. There has to be some underlying reason other than protecting the integrety of the testing system that they reacted so harshly. I really hope the Braun presser sheds some light on the MLB reaction. I'm almost expecting Braun to say something along the lines of (bare with me, I'm not a speech writer).."My fight is not over. My reputation is very important to me and to have it comprimised by the carelessness of the testing process is not acceptable to me. I will take whatever action is necessary to restore my good name"

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think that it would be awesome if the Brewers players banded together and boycotted ESPN and their reporters for the season. Just don't talk to anyone associated with ESPN. They give the Brewers little to no coverage anyway, but why not?

One of my favorite baseball moments of the last 20 years was when Chad Curtis dissed that dweeb Jim Gray on live national TV after a playoff game.

If I'm reading Will Carroll's tweets correctly. It sounds like cnnsi didn't want the article. And that he's looking for someone to publish it and he won't just blog it because he feels he needs to be paid? Why wouldn't SI want it if it's about Braun and the science of it all? Or am I reading it wrong?

Archived