Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun exonerated, no suspension… Latest: MLB drops Eliezer Alfonzo suspension; case similar to Braun's (part 1)

dlk9s

The squealing by MLB since this decision is most telling. It shows that they wanted Braun to be the fall guy in some weird PR move to prove the toughness of their drug policy. That also explains the reasoning behind the leak. It was lets get a big name guy's name sullied up (that he's from Bud's old team all the better) and our drug routine will be very well respected by all. They didn't factor in that the arbitrator was actually independent and not some media or MLB stooge.

That they are squealing so loud now is to drown out Braun's attempt to restore his reputation and thus preserve their perceived toughness.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
100% of the information from this process has come from one side of the aisle, starting from the leak of Braun's failed test.

I'm as shocked and as dissapointed as anyone else at MLB reaction to this decision. I think is was the wrong reaction. However, I don't understand why everyone assumes the leak came from MLB. It could also have come from a 3rd party or Brauns camp. That does not mean that Braun would have intentionally leaked it!! I realize that Braun leaking it on purpose makes no sense at all and that is not what I am saying. Sometime leaks just happen because someone can't keep their mouths shut and they want someone else to know what they know. To assume at this point that this leak was A) intentional and B) came from one side or another is being less than objectional in my opinion.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Braun is speaking at noon MIL time; I hope I can listen to atleast part of it or I hope enough brewerfan people will be listening to give a good recap. It will be a make or break news conference for him; if he offers no new reason for the "acquittal" and just refused to comment he is going to look terrible.

I really want him to just drop a bombshell and no one knew about and just watch all the journalists squirm. And for my own sanity I want there to be another reason for the successful appeal other than a guy storing it in his fridge for two days with no tampering evident.

I don't think you need to worry. The Aaron Rodgers tweets are likely reflective of Braun's state of mind as anything and I think we'll hear plenty.

The arbitrator's written decision has not been released (not sure if it ever will be). All of the speculation to this point has been from information that has been leaked by someone familiar with the process.

Based on MLB's whining about this and insistence on trying to defend their testing program, it's pretty apparent to me that the news of the "technicality" of the chain of custody problem came from someone at MLB.

100% of the information from this process has come from one side of the aisle, starting from the leak of Braun's failed test. There's more to this than what is currently known by media outlets who have been blindly speculating since mid December. Braun gets to start telling his side of the story publicly at noon during his presser, and I really hope he does. Any semblance of confidentiality with this has been shattered by the other side, so there's no reason for him to follow the rules either. His case was solid enough to be the first player to overturn a failed drug test - a chain of custody issue seems trivial, but there's ALOT of things that cause a chain of custody/sample handling problem that are anything but technicalities.

I agree with you here. I doubt it's just a chain of custody issue. My question is if this is such a detailed testing system how the heck is there not a plan to have things scheduled to the point where the correct protocol is followed. There had to be more players tested so did their samples make it on time?

I heard this morning that MLB was considering taking this to federal court? Can they even do that? Could a player do that? Whats the point of having an agreement in place to appeal the suspensions if MLB is just going to whine and take it to another court if they lose?

I guess Dan Patrick has some interesting info on the hearing and more this morning, though I missed the first parts of it. Something a person on Twitter sent me:

"On DP radio show: brought the collector in to the hearing. said it took the guy 37 seconds to state his name. Couldnt look at Braun"

https://twitter.com/#!/TSH255/status/173054515149422592

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Let me rephrase - I think 100% of the information currently known publicly since the leak of his failed test has come from MLB sources - I do agree that the failed test leak could have come from anywhere...with how bad MLB looks right now, I wouldn't be surprised if their people that knew the particulars of this situation didn't want this to get out publicly, either unless a suspension was levied.

My opinion would, I think, be the same. But then my opinion is that Braun most likely got off on a technicality.

Assuming the facts are as reported by Tom H that the collector kept the sample refrigerated at home for two days before making the shipment and the seals on the samples were unbroken upon arriving at the lab...

I believe were it Pujols, the vast majority here would be inclined to agree more with MLB than with the player. I think most would believe that despite the delay in shipping, the collector most likely did keep the chain of custody intact and most likely did store the samples in the proper environment. (I say "most likely" because we are not privy to the testimony that was presumably given by the guy who collected and stored the samples.)

Because Braun wears a Brewer uniform, instead, the assumption is that he is pure like snowflakes and the sample collector is a complete idiot or corrupt. That he mixed up labels, added synthetic T, stored the pee in his kitchen refrigerator next to his leftovers, told the neighbors he had Ryan Braun's piss in his fridge, or whatever.

Please refrain from acting like any of us who believe Braun is actually innocent are unable to think logically while your opinion is so much less biased. Since this story broke you have been convinced of Braun being guilty, you called him out for not doing a press conference and you assumed his camp leaked the story. Those are your opinions and some have facts to be based on and some are wild speculation. You stated Braun's team was doing all the spin and called them out for it but now you dont saying anything about the incredible amount of spin from MLB

Some of us who think Braun could be not simply cleared are listening to more than talking heads on espn. I noticed you havent quoted Will Carrol who said Braun's team was able to replicate the same results of his test under the scenario of the courier taking the results home. I dont appreciate someone acting like I cannot think logically in a situation or acting like you know how I would have responded in a different situation.

There are great reasons to believe Braun is actually innocent beside simply being a Brewer fan but you made up your mind of his guilt right off the bat

We'll probably never know the real story, unless the written ruling gets leaked. This is still a huge day for Braun. Albeit the article by Carrol if that gets posted (why is he the only one with this data?), the Braun press conference, etc.

I'm glad he's not suspended but it kinda sucks if it really is all just on a technicality (I don't believe this) but many people will and he could and probably will be forever ruined.

Carroll may be the only one with the data because Braun's camp may have only given him information - he's a writer with alot of medical knowledge and probably the best option to write an article that could explain this situation without omitting or oversimplifying it.

If Braun wants information to get out, you think he wants ESPN to have it first?

I would hope cooler heads would prevail at MLB and it wouldn't reach that point. What a fiasco that would be. If Braun provides other reasons for the acquittal to day it definitely would be in MLB's best interest to just drop it. MLB agreed to the arbitor appointment and now since they realize he isn't there stooge they are all mad about it.

https://twitter.com/#!/TSH255/status/173057955808280579

More notes: Urine collector is a Cubs fan. Bypassed 2 open Fed Ex locations that were open. 3rd one was closed.

Who is this "Mark M" on twitter?

He was relaying notes from the Dan Patrick show. I should have specified that.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

ESPN is saying MLB could pursue action in federal court. MLB is just looking horrible right now.

If this entire process was following an aribitration agreement, which i am 99.9% sure it is, they can't. No court would even listen. Arbitration's very definition is a contractual agreement in which disputes avoid court. You can't contract for arbitration and then take it to a court if it doesn't go your way. The arbitrator's decision (in this case the 3 person panel) is final. This would be the same if Braun would have lost the appeal.

https://twitter.com/#!/TSH255/status/173057955808280579

More notes: Urine collector is a Cubs fan. Bypassed 2 open Fed Ex locations that were open. 3rd one was closed.

Who is this "Mark M" on twitter?

He was relaying notes from the Dan Patrick show. I should have specified that.

Did anyone listen to the Dan Patrick show today? Is it Dan Patrick saying this? Does he have a guest on saying this? What is the source?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

ESPN is saying MLB could pursue action in federal court. MLB is just looking horrible right now.

I really doubt this happens.

As someone who works in commercial credit and collections and has to occasionally decide whether or not to file suit to collect, let me point out that this is a common tactic of a party that expects to be sued themselves. Find some reason to sue yourself in hope the party that actually has a case (in this instance Braun) will agree not to sue if you don't either.

MLB is also calculating here that it has deeper pockets than Braun and that if it can force Braun into ever increasing fees for lawyers, he will not pursue litigation.

Fortunately for Braun, he's got friends with plenty of resources too (ie. Rodgers).

Archived