Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun exonerated, no suspension… Latest: MLB drops Eliezer Alfonzo suspension; case similar to Braun's (part 1)

dlk9s

At the risk of blowing my own horn, I called this aftermath scenario way on the night the story first broke. I'm not a psychic, I've just seen it done before.

viewtopic.php?p=757045#p757045

A "technicality", as it is simple-mindedly and misleadling characterized, is the only real avenue open for athletes to win these cases. It's virtually impossible to prove "innocence" in these things, even when it's the truth. Any journalist who does the minimum amount of homework on this subject knows this to be the truth. One can only conclude that majority journalists covering the case have either not done their homework or are not interested in conveying these facts to a broader audience.

The first alternative makes them miserable journalists. The second alternative makes them miserable human beings. It appears that Will Carroll at least falls into neither category. Tom H has been very fair-minded as well, hometown guy or not. I'm not going to kill all the coverage on this case because to a certain extent the subject matter is simply too much to cover in the space that most writers have available to do justice to the story. What I cannot abide is the cynicism and rush to judgment which was all too prevalent beginning way back on that first night in December. Cheating athletes bear most of the burden for creating such a toxic atmosphere, but the role of the testers, aided and abetted by a much too cynical and "scoop"-oriented media, should not be undersold.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The telling fact is that MLB doesn't need to prove anything to anywhere close to a "reasonable doubt" standard and they had an opportunity to win in spite of a simple "oops" just by showing that the test result was strong enough that the arbitrator feel "reasonably comfortable" that suspending Braun was the right decision. In spite of all that they still lost.

The uncomfortable squealing from places like USADA, which have as much access to the facts in this case as you or I, and the totally predictable spin that the "guilty until proven innocent" crowd immediately resorted to in the wake of the decision provides strong support for my feelings about this case from the beginning.

It's really too bad that they have to run these things like they do. There are some very good people and some incredibly bright and fair-minded scientists who have done incredible work in the field of drug-testing who really do have the best interests of athletes and sports at heart. It's just sad that crusaders almost inevitably ruin everything they touch.

My take on their squealing is that in many bureaucracies, 80% of the "work" done is aimed at justifying the very existence of said bureaucracy. There has to be billions, if not trillions, being spent each year on drug testing in one form or another and the Golden Goose must be protected.

ESPN and MLB are making it sound like the only reason Braun won the appeal was because the sample was kept in the technician's fridge over the weekend. I recall reading an article stating that the seal on the samples was intact when it arrived at the testing facility. If that is true, I find it very hard to believe the chain of custody issue is the sole reason Braun won the appeal.

Somewhat related, the only place in Wisconsin that tests blood samples for the presence of alcohol in OWI cases is the State Lab of Hygeine in Madison. That means if an officer in Ashland arrests someone for OWI and a legal blood draw is completed, the State Lab of Hygeine will do the analysis. Obviously, the sample will be mailed and not hand-delivered. Officers are directed to mail the sample via the United States Postal Service. There is no chain of custody, whatsoever. An officer will drop the blood evidence kit in a mailbox or deliver it directly to the post office. The blood evidence kit will change hands multiple times when being sorted and delivered. What matters is: 1.) The phlebotomist drew the blood and sealed it in the officer's presence 2.) The blood evidence kit was properly sealed and 3.) The kit itself and blood samples inside were still sealed (and untampered) when the State Lab of Hygeine tested the samples.

I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison since MLB's anti-doping policy includes specifics about the chain of custody, but there has to be more than what ESPN and MLB are reporting. Can't wait for the Will Carroll article.

ESPN is still continuing with their stupidity. I don't listen to them, but I guess Mike & Mike trotted out the old "difference between innocent and not guilty" line this morning already.

But they can be met with the discussion between "not smart and dumb". Both definitions have their pictures next to them.

ESPN Legal Analyst Lester Munson on Mike & Mike saying Braun offered to do a DNA test to prove conclusively whether or not the tested sample was his. MLB refused.

Oh wow. If true, it's beyond apparent that MLB chose to protect the integrity of the process even at the expense of persecuting a potentially (and increasingly likely) innocent superstar player. If it's shown that MLB or their testing process caused the sample to have been switched or lost, that integrity would have been completely gone.

How disgusting.

Wow, if that is true, MLB has lost my respect. One would think that in order to maintain the integrity of the system, a DNA test to prove the sample was in fact that of the person being accused would be very important. MLB is more worried about convicting people and seeming tough against steroids than actually getting the truth. If I was an MLB player this would frighten me.

...I also wonder if I (or others on this board) would feel the same way if it was Pujols who got off on a "technicality".

My opinion would, I think, be the same. But then my opinion is that Braun most likely got off on a technicality.

Assuming the facts are as reported by Tom H that the collector kept the sample refrigerated at home for two days before making the shipment and the seals on the samples were unbroken upon arriving at the lab...

I believe were it Pujols, the vast majority here would be inclined to agree more with MLB than with the player. I think most would believe that despite the delay in shipping, the collector most likely did keep the chain of custody intact and most likely did store the samples in the proper environment. (I say "most likely" because we are not privy to the testimony that was presumably given by the guy who collected and stored the samples.)

Because Braun wears a Brewer uniform, instead, the assumption is that he is pure like snowflakes and the sample collector is a complete idiot or corrupt. That he mixed up labels, added synthetic T, stored the pee in his kitchen refrigerator next to his leftovers, told the neighbors he had Ryan Braun's piss in his fridge, or whatever.

Since I went to bed last night and logged in this morning there were 3 or 4 pages added to this thread. I skimmed through some of the new posts and I didn't see this, so I apologize if I missed it. Channel 4 in Milwaukee stated a couple time this morning and last night that MLB may appeal the appeal?? I have not seen this reported anywhere else and I'm not sure where they are getting this from, but I can't believe that this would even be an option for MLB...would it?

I really hope more information comes out pointing to Braun's complete innocence (The pending Will Carroll article maybe?). I has very happy to hear that Braun was going to be in the lineup on Opening Day, but I didn't exactly go to bed last night with a warm fuzzy feeling about the overall situation.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

Humor aside, I'd be more inclined to hang Pujols, but if evidence came out that he were innocent I'd change my mind and be vocal about it. I can't sit still for the innocent getting hanged even if I dislike the innocent in question.

If Pujols went through the same lengthy process as Braun did, I would let the issue go and move on once resolved. I would probably still have doubts, but let's face it...if presented with one of Braun or Pujols potentially being on steroids/PEDs, who would you honestly pick?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Thats why I tend to believe that there is more to the story. I have to imagine it is much harder to win an appeal in MLB drug testing policy only because the courier stored it in his freezer and no seal was ever broken. If it were that easy other tests would have been overturned as well due to other minor technicalites. I think there are other contributing factors and will be revealed in the next couple of days. I am really hoping Carrol throws out a bombshell of an article that will make people rethink the "technicality." I also hope Braun spills the beans in ARI today. His team his probably telling him he has to because he is still guilty according to 80% of america.

...I also wonder if I (or others on this board) would feel the same way if it was Pujols who got off on a "technicality".

My opinion would, I think, be the same. But then my opinion is that Braun most likely got off on a technicality.

Assuming the facts are as reported by Tom H that the collector kept the sample refrigerated at home for two days before making the shipment and the seals on the samples were unbroken upon arriving at the lab...

I believe were it Pujols, the vast majority here would be inclined to agree more with MLB than with the player. I think most would believe that despite the delay in shipping, the collector most likely did keep the chain of custody intact and most likely did store the samples in the proper environment. (I say "most likely" because we are not privy to the testimony that was presumably given by the guy who collected and stored the samples.)

Because Braun wears a Brewer uniform, instead, the assumption is that he is pure like snowflakes and the sample collector is a complete idiot or corrupt. That he mixed up labels, added synthetic T, stored the pee in his kitchen refrigerator next to his leftovers, told the neighbors he had Ryan Braun's piss in his fridge, or whatever.

This is baseless. It's a cheap shot at people who disagree with you, for excellent reasons, about the immediate case, and it's an attempt to inflate your own supposed objectivity at the expense of unnamed others.

A lot of us have thought hard and critically about this case. Our posts make that clear. If exactly the same things happened, just fill in "Pujols" for "Braun"? I wouldn't be as emotional about it, because I dislike Pujols, but of course I would analyze the facts the same way and make the same arguments.

This is baseless. It's a cheap shot at people who disagree with you, for excellent reasons, about the immediate case, and it's an attempt to inflate your own supposed objectivity at the expense of unnamed others.

A lot of us have thought hard and critically about this case. Our posts make that clear. If exactly the same things happened, just fill in "Pujols" for "Braun"? I wouldn't be as emotional about it, because I dislike Pujols, but of course I would analyze the facts the same way and make the same arguments.

I don't think it's baseless at all. There is a lot of vile towards Pujols on this board. In fact there is a thread out there now about his "classiness" in regards to protesting billboards around LA with his picture and the word "El Hombre". In general people seem to look for any reason to rip Pujols or the Cards on this board.

I'm not saying Braun is guilty. I'm just saying at this point there is way too much grey area to say without a doubt that he is guilty or innocent of taking a PED (a history of clean tests does not mean a whole lot to me). Hopefully more information will come out to confirm his innocence.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The arbitrator's written decision has not been released (not sure if it ever will be). All of the speculation to this point has been from information that has been leaked by someone familiar with the process.

Based on MLB's whining about this and insistence on trying to defend their testing program, it's pretty apparent to me that the news of the "technicality" of the chain of custody problem came from someone at MLB.

100% of the information from this process has come from one side of the aisle, starting from the leak of Braun's failed test. There's more to this than what is currently known by media outlets who have been blindly speculating since mid December. Braun gets to start telling his side of the story publicly at noon during his presser, and I really hope he does. Any semblance of confidentiality with this has been shattered by the other side, so there's no reason for him to follow the rules either. His case was solid enough to be the first player to overturn a failed drug test - a chain of custody issue seems trivial, but there's ALOT of things that cause a chain of custody/sample handling problem that are anything but technicalities.

Braun is speaking at noon MIL time; I hope I can listen to at least part of it or I hope enough brewerfan people will be listening to give a good recap. It will be a make or break news conference for him; if he offers no new reason for the "acquittal" and just refused to comment he is going to look terrible.

I really want him to just drop a bombshell and no one knew about and just watch all the journalists squirm. And for my own sanity I want there to be another reason for the successful appeal other than a guy storing it in his fridge for two days with no tampering evident.

Archived