Brewer Fanatic

$250 million isn't classy enough

jerichoholicninja

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/stan-musial-not-time-albert-pujols-finally-accept-222755742.html

Just so you have this straight, Pujols is a little ticked that the Angels didn't know about a request that was only a minor news item in St. Louis a few years back. And he's also not happy with some promotional billboards the team put up, even though he or his agent never said anything to the team about them. The nerve!

To be fair, Pujols just said that out of respect for Stan Musial the baseball player and Stan Musial the person, he doesn't want to be known as "El Hombre," which is Spanish for "The Man." It doesn't sound like he's mad, just that no one notified him of the ads, and he would rather they not be continued.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Ok I can't believe I am going to say this and I know I will get serious backlash for doing so but...

Since Pujols has signed out here with the Angels, the L.A. Times has done a lot of reporting on his background and who he is and I must say I am beginning to like him. While I can't stand the staring down of every single HR and the on field antics with Chris Carpenter and Nyjer Morgan last year, Pujols genuinely seems to be a class act off the field.

I must admit I am a sucker for charitable foundations for children with Downs Syndrome:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0214-albert-pujols-charity-20120214,0,5091118.story

Sometimes I think we all get a little carried away with our "hate" for players and sometimes some perspective of who they are helps to remember it is only a game.

I will still boo him when he stares at a wall scraping HR though.

He's really not a bad guy. I've lived in STL since his debut, and while he is annoyingly talented, and prone to watching home runs...I don't have much else bad to say about him. Low profile, charitable, and from all accounts a genuinely nice person.

It is well within the Angels rights to do as they see fit to get their investment in him back. If he wanted to stipulate things like that he should have made that known before the contract not after. While I think it admirable for Pujols to show such respect he should remember who Musial played for. Or more to the point who he didn't play for. Why should the Angels change their marketing plans to show respect for an Cardinal legend?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived