Brewer Fanatic

WIAA Basketball Tournament

paul253

From what I heard, there were some students from Riverside that made their way to the game to cause problems. They were allegedly denied access to the game, but hung around to cause problems after the game. I thought the students were extremely well-behaved last night. I enjoyed the students chanting "We Can't Hear You" at each other when their team would go on a run.

King's defense combined with Central's interesting ball-handling choices was the difference-maker. King found ways into passing lanes and trapped well. The freshman from Central has some serious potential. Very entertaining game. Hard to call it "good" with so many fouls and sloppy play, but it was definitely worth the $4.00. The runs in this game were insane. Central went 6-0 to briefly take a lead before half. Then after 2 starters got stuck on the bench with 4 fouls, Central went like 9-2 to take a nice lead. King put up a 14-2 at the end of the 3rd quarter to seemingly take control. Then 3 consecutive king TO's followed by Central baskets late to get within a basket. King struggled at the FT line for 3 quarters, but hit the ones they needed to.

I had the bleachers at about 85-90% full. It seemed like many of the people standing were doing so by choice. There were open rows in the corners on the King side of the gym. Central's side seemed pretty much full. Couldn't have fit too many more people in there, though. WAC hosts Milwaukee Washington and Pius Saturday night. That should be interesting. I imagine both schools will travel well.

I have heard through the grapevine that cost is definitely one of the factors behind the move to HS sites, but I doubt the WIAA would ever admit that. It will be interesting to see how Saturday's games go.

I checked out the Racine Lutheran (D5-#1) game Thursday evening. Tallest player is 6'3", but they move the ball around and shoot well. Five treys in the first period to break things open quickly.

Should be a good matchup with Randolph Saturday afternoon. Post-play vs. perimeter play. The edge to Lutheran.

And to follow up on Paul's above comment - no tickets sold at the door for the Germantown-Hamilton game @ Waukesha North. Insufficient capacity, I suppose?

I have heard through the grapevine that cost is definitely one of the factors behind the move to HS sites, but I doubt the WIAA would ever admit that. It will be interesting to see how Saturday's games go.

I'd be really disappointed in both the WIAA and the local colleges if cost was a factor. Do they really want to jeopardize safety for the sake of saving a couple hundred bucks, or whatever it may be?

I had the bleachers at about 85-90% full.

I'm terrible at estimating crowds. How many people do you think were there? Maybe 2500?

Sam Dekker shows why he is one of the top recruits in the country! 12 points in about 50 seconds to take his team from down 8 to a 1 point win. Racine was the better team but Dekker willed his team to a win. He had 40 points and 13 rebounds!

Is anyone else surprised at how easily Germantown manhandled Madison Memorial last night? I am also surprised that Cuba City was no match for Dominican in the D4 championship game today. I am really looking forward to the Germantown-King game tonight.

Sam Dekker shows why he is one of the top recruits in the country! 12 points in about 50 seconds to take his team from down 8 to a 1 point win. Racine was the better team but Dekker willed his team to a win. He had 40 points and 13 rebounds!

I did my student teaching back in the day at Sheboygan Lutheran, and when I lived in Sheboygan, I did some helping out in the classrooms and sub teaching at Sheboygan Lutheran. I know lots of people who are affiliated with them and I am so ecstatic and happy for them!

I've seen a lot of basketball and many award ceremonies in my years. The look on the Racine Lutheran coach's face was as if he wanted to take that runners-up trophy and chuck it 50 feet through the air. I saw them play four games in nine days and didn't think they could get beat. Up six with a minute left I went to my computer only to come back and catch the final fourteen seconds. People will be talking about that finish for a while.

The team I've been following, Neillsville girls, advances in D4. A possible conference rematch with Regis. Owen-Withee qualifies in D5. Two teams to state from sparsely populated Clark County.

Saw the clip of that Dekker shot this afternoon. I think the most notable thing about it is the way he reacted. No jumping up and down or anything. Just raised his arms calmly in the air, as though he was saying 'Just did what I'm supposed to do.' He was yelling, but definitely not reacting the way you'd expect a high schooler to react in that situation. I cannot wait for him to get to Madison.

Edit: Just found this quote from him after the game.

'I said I didn't want to tie it. I was just gonna win it. And they said..."okay."'

I'm a assistant coach for a D-5 team who was highly ranked this year and ended up getting upset a little earlier then many people thought so I decided to not attend the state tourny this year. Regretting that I did. Sam Dekker was unreal and I cannot wait to see him play next year in Madison.

Archived