Brewer Fanatic

peanut controlled area

ilovebeer

Are people allergic to brats?

I guess I never thought that there are people out there with such severe peanut allegies that they can't attend a baseball game, sucks to be them.

The Timber Rattlers started doing this a couple years ago, that was the first time I ever really thought about it. They also have a game where fans can bring their freaking dogs to the game. That to me is one of the stupidest ideas ever. Bringing dogs to games? Why, so they can watch a baseball game? What about the fans who are allergic to dogs?

I don't have any issues with the peanut deal, at least it allows those with peanut allergies to come out to the ballpark.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I know they used to have a peanut-free rule for the row in front of the Tundra Territory seats. I'm not sure if that has changed or not.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

My son has peanut allergies. Luckily, he only has to avoid eating them. Some people can die if they even smell a peanut. We've gone to games, but it does make us nervous when there are peanut shells everywhere. We have to be extra careful that he doesn't touch any.

So this will be nice for us. But I do wonder if it would help people with severe peanut allergies. There could be peanuts right across the aisle.

On a side note, I was raised not to throw anything on the ground even at a sporting event. We collect our garbage and try to find a garbage can. Are we in the minority here?

I'll admit that it never occurred to me that nut-allergic people would be challenged at the ballpark - but clearly they would.

/knocking on wood for my good fortune to date at not having a food allergy/

I'd be interested to know what the Brewers plan to do to keep that area nut-free. The far corner of the club section should be relatively easy to monitor for carry-ins, but can they make sure some yahoos in the terrace don't throw shells on the people in the front rows? Will it be HEPA vacuumed before the game? Do the Brewers cross their fingers that it's not windy with the roof open that game?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I actually have thought about this alot and have wondered how people with peanut allergies handled ball games (or if they just did not go). We usually bring peanuts to the game and I sometimes wondered if at some point someone would ask us if we could put them away because they have allergies. We sit in the family section, so there often kids in our section.

On a side note, I was raised not to throw anything on the ground even at a sporting event. We collect our garbage and try to find a garbage can. Are we in the minority here?

I think you are. We always just throw our peanut shells on the floor and I notice that most others that eat peanuts at the games do the same thing. I don't consider it being rude as it seems to be a generally accepted practice. If it were not, I would probably stop eating shelled peanuts games.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The way they set this up for the T-Rats games is they pressure wash the entire park to get rid of the peanut dust. Then they just don't have peanuts for sale for that game. It's not that big of a deal. In fact I realized it's a pretty nice thing to do once you start seeing the news stories about kids who were finally able to attend their first ball game.

Logistically it's gonna be more difficult to pull off at Miller Park. But I am pretty sure they can pull it off for some designated sections. I'm glad the Brewers are doing this.

I'd also love a take your dog to the game day at Miller. I have no idea how that would work though. When the T-Rats do it, they just designate left field grass area for the dogs and their owners. Here's my pal Milton taking in a game. Looks like he likes baseball.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa455/teatoe993/Milton%20Franklin%20Skog/Picture002.jpg

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa455/teatoe993/Milton%20Franklin%20Skog/5031_96644896381_794611381_1917188_96476_n.jpg

So this will be nice for us. But I do wonder if it would help people with severe peanut allergies. There could be peanuts right across the aisle.

I put refuse in garbage cans at the ballpark too, and the S.O. thinks it's weird. So I suspect you and I are both in the minority, bork.

Also - the Fox 6 link above indicates that the Brewers are scheduling these games to accommodate mild nut allergies, and fans who sit in the peanut free sections will have to sign a waiver.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'll leave shells on the ground (as that is generally accepted), but take all "real" trash. Although, it probably wouldn't take much for me to change that.

But I can see this leading to some other restrictions during those games also. I can see this announcement coming over the loud speakers: "Please fans, we remind you that there are no comments allowed from the peanut galleries... no comments from the peanut galleries, thank you."

I put refuse in garbage cans at the ballpark too, and the S.O. thinks it's weird. So I suspect you and I are both in the minority, bork.

We take all of our "trash" to the garbage cans as well (cups, bottles, bags, wrappers, etc.). We just throw our peanut shells on the ground.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The tavern near my house prefers that peanut shells go on the floor. They say that sweeping them up is easy.

I put my trash under my seat unless I happen to be in the concourse. Carry-in plastic bottles tend to go back home for recycling. I suppose that if I generated an unusual amount of trash, I'd make a trip to the garbage and recycling bins.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

My dad and brother both have peanut and tree nut allergies. Both have it bad enough that if a knife used to spread peanut butter isn't cleaned perfectly and they use it to spread butter or jelly on their toast they can go into anaphylactic shock. I saw my bother bite into a brownie with nuts a few years ago and immediately vomit before heading to the hospital. (the woman who made it assured us it didn't have nuts, then when he reacted and said it had nuts she said, "no just ground up pecans").

Neither have ever had a real problem at sporting events or on airplanes with the peanuts around us. I asked my Dad once at a Badger football game if he was OK because three people around us were all chomping on peanuts and I could smell them pretty strongly and he can usually pick up the scent well before I can when it is faint. He said all he had was a bit of a tickle in his throat but was fine. Both have been to Miller Park with me and had no problems with peanuts around us. But I think having a peanut free section is a great idea, it doesn't hurt anyone, and provides a choice for those allergic or hyper protective about their kids who may not say anything about feeling ill until its too late and they need a shot. That said, I think people sometimes go way overboard in worrying about making sure nuts aren't in the same zip code. I find it funny that now there is all this precaution and warnings on things and when my brother and I were kids the teachers thought he was making it up that he was allergic to nuts and the school nurse once just wanted him to lay on the cot for a bit when he felt ill from eating nuts in something at school. Luckily they happened to call my mom who rushed to the school and over rode the school nurse who insisted he was fine and my mom administered an Epipen shot. Now of course every food package carries the label, "made on a machine or in a facility that processes tree nuts or peanuts", 90% of these things have been eaten by my dad and brother their whole because they so rarely have anything in the product that would cause a reaction. One product I do know that always caused problems was plain M&M's, as a kid they carried no warnings and were "plain" but that one set off the reaction. It really isn't fun for those with the allergy but they cope with it pretty well and watch out for themselves, I know both have told me that nuts taste just awful, they can taste even trace amounts of it in food and know immediately if the food is contaminated.

edit: If they could come up with a bee free zone at Badger football games that would help. My cousin is severely allergic to bees and freaks out about the bees swirling around the soda at the early warm weather games.

The family joke when we all used to go camping together was that a jar peanut butter and some bee attracting sugar could wipe out half the family tree.

My father also has a peanut allergy. I guess that it used to be really bad and that he would have problems just being someplace where he was breathing in lots of dust (like the ballpark or airplanes) but now that the allergy has toned down over the years he just has to avoid eating them.

Peanuts are a big part of the baseball experience for many people but I don't think it is unreasonable to have a place for folks with nut allergies to go. Problem is that it is probably not enforceable and most people won't realize they are buying tickets in the peanut free zone which could lead to problems.

Peanuts are a big part of the baseball experience for many people but I don't think it is unreasonable to have a place for folks with nut allergies to go. Problem is that it is probably not enforceable and most people won't realize they are buying tickets in the peanut free zone which could lead to problems.

That corner of the club level tends to be one of the last parts of the park to fill. The club level family sections are over there (or are possibly the sections being used for the peanut free zone) and on the few occasions we've sat there we've had lots of space.

You can throw the shells on the ground at Texas road house, there used to be a chain called the Chansery that you could throw the shells on the ground.

Yes, we love the food at Texas Roadhouse, but we never go there because of my son's peanut allergy. It's one thing to have peanut shells in a big stadium, but to have them all over a restaurant, is too scary.

Archived