Brewer Fanatic

May 22nd NBA draft lottery

statman0007
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a conspiracy theorist too when it comes to the NBA lottery, and based on that I predict Atlanta and Boston get one of the top 2 picks. Atlanta is a big market but has a dormant franchise. A guy like Oden would help rejuvinate them immensely. And they don't need yet another 3/4 like Durant. They have about 7 billion of those already. Boston is another big market team with a potentially rabid fan base. I think they'll have a shot at either Oden or Durant. No way they allow the Bucks to have a top 2 pick in a year where there are two true #1 types. I think they got it out of the way in 2005 in a year where there was no true #1 (I hope I'm wrong). That's not a knock on Bogut, but about 5 or 6 players from that draft reasonably could have been the best player.

My board would be:

1. Oden

2. Durant

3. B. Wright

4. Conley

5. Horford

I don't have to go beyond that because the worst the Bucks could get is the 6th pick, and Conley will almost surely still be there.

I think we'd play Oden at the 4 in the minute chance that we can net him, because Bogut has proven he can't handle the pick and rolls. Oden is more athletic than Bogut so he'd have a better shot at recovering. That would still pull Oden out of the paint, but he still has the quickness to recover and be a factor down low in those cases. His shot blocking will help cover up the many mistakes by Buck's defenders. His footwork and strength should still allow him to be a monster rebounder. And keep in mind, the entire year he had a sprained or broken wrist, and thus he had to shoot with his off hand. As is, he still showed good touch in the post, and from the free throw line. He didn't show his full potential because of that injury. Even if that was an accurate representation of his offense, he could still be Bill Russell. And you don't pass on Bill Russell. Oden helped guide OSU to the championship game as a true freshman (Conley too). Durant never led Texas to a legit top 25 ranking all year. They were well below .500 against the rpi top 25 and below .500 against the rest of the top 50. Seeing as though basketball is the team sport where one singular player can make the most impact, that's pretty telling in spite of his individual stats. Durant is not a particularly good man to man defender nor does he make his teammates better. That's not to argue that he's not a fantastic player, he just won't have the impact of Oden, regardless of need.

Well, I was wrong about my top 2 predictions. I can't really think of a vested interest the NBA has in seeing Oden in Portland. Seattle doesn't seem like a favorite of the NBA either....unless they move to Vegas.

I was actually thinking that the #6 pick might be a blessing in disguise if we didn't make the top 3. We might have had a hard time justifying taking Conley at 4 or 5 considering where he was projected. We may have went with Horford or Jianlian. Conley has the ability to make teammates better, which is something which takes no time to translate. That skill is very ingrained and therefore I think he's much more NBA ready than he's given credit for. He also would improve the Bucks defense at the point, which is one of the two most important defensive positions. And Conley would allow us to sign and trade Mo (packaged with Villanueva) for a starting 4 who plays better defense.

All the players that could make a significant impact will be gone. We got hosed plain and simple.

Say hello to the next moody foreigner to step through Milwaukee, Joakim Noah. Yay.

So much for conspiracies.

Kind of funny that Memphis, Boston and Milwaukee all fell as far as they could.

Bucks will still get someone good, just not a franchise player. Eh, oh well.

Picks 3-6 are no different.

THe bucks had an 84% chance of NOT moving up, and a pretty hefty chance of moving DOWN.

There isnt a conspiracy, the NBA didnt do anything on purpose, this isnt going to kill the franchise, the player we will get will most likely have the same impact as the player we would have gotten at 3.

That is all.

Now Boston, I could see them having a gripe..after the Duncan lottery when they had picks 1 and 4 (potentially)

Archived