Brewer Fanatic

Link Report duty: who's going to help ensure the L.R. lives on?

TooLiveBrew

In short, we the MiLB forum readers have to be the ones to keep the Link Report going. Jim (MassHaas) obviously did an amazing job over the years, but more specifically, he was doing the work of multiple people imo. Even last year, when Jim & Erik (Sessile Fielder) took most of the full-season squads, & I chipped in with mostly the short-season clubs, more help would've been useful.

My thought here is if we create some form of 'paint-by-numbers' type guide to crafting the Link Report posts, anyone who's feeling up to it at the time could contribute with a L.R. post (or L.R. posts). Sometimes the games don't end or start until odd times, due to rain delays or rescheduling, etc. I know I often had to stay up waiting for one of the AZL or Helena games to finish, when I otherwise would've been done had the game started on schedule. If any interested MiLB forum reader could simply jump in & pick up the slack on any un-link-reported game, the workload would just be a lot less.

There are seven MiLB squads to cover. AAA, AA, A+, & A- are full season leagues. Helena (Rookie), AZL, & DSL are short-season leagues. Imo with seven volunteers -- one for each level -- the Link Report would be fairly easy to keep alive.

I've only spoken with Erik very, very briefly about the future of the Link Report, and this idea I'm proposing here is solely my own. I should also add that I shouldn't hold any more sway in this decision than any other MiLB forum user... last summer was the only L.R. work I've done, & it was very part-time duty. Whatever decision is reached on the L.R. would be best if it came from a majority of the posters on this forum.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I had previously stepped away from the LRs as I found my enthusiasm for the organization significantly waning as Melvin's tenure has continued and my free time was incredibly limited over the last 16 months. However, I'm on the upswing from a time standpoint (I still view the organization's future from an incredibly dubious position) so I'd take the A and AA teams every day to chip in and help out. I've been pushing posters to this forum for years, it only seems fitting that I offer up some of my time to keep it going now.

We need someone to get the report started every day, who's facing who, at what time, and the probable pitching match ups. It would be great if someone on the west coast would volunteer to take AZ and Helena once those seasons start. Waiting until 1 AM Central Time for the Independent Record to post the Helena game stories can be pretty taxing with work early the following morning.

If we could get 3-5 people working on it each day/night the burden would be significantly reduced and we would still have enough coverage so 1 person didn't have to do it all when people inevitably have other commitments that keep them away for a couple of days or a week. Mass is truly amazing, his dedication and commitment would be easier met getting a group of us together to hammer it out everyday.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can't do it everyday, but if I'm given some notice I could probably fill in here or there. Or if someone can't do it for a week I could potentially fill in there as well.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I can't do it everyday, but if I'm given some notice I could probably fill in here or there. Or if someone can't do it for a week I could potentially fill in there as well.

Same here.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I'm on the Brewers sites everyday for updates on Brewers Major and Minor league information multiple hours a day. I usually visit and follow the Brewers Minor League sites on a regular basis. I have a good amount of free time during the day and at night (even late night). I could use the Majority of the free time to help keep the Link Report going with updates, news etc on a specific level of the Brewers Minor League system. I would be honored to help contribute if you would like my help. Just let me know.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

It's great to hear that there's so much willingness to contribute so far, in just the first few responses.

Let's see how many people, over the course of the next week or so, want to contribute for the 2012 L.R.'s. After we have a good idea of who's 'in', we can start to divide the workload.

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

I indicated privately to TooLiveBrew that some of the "life events" that were going to impact my 2012 are a bit delayed.

While I had always indicated I'd be around "some", turns out I'm going to be able to kick off the initial schedule post for a Link Report, at least until further notice, which was probably going to be the biggest challenge facing the board initially.

What I won't be able to do all season are any of the actual box score links and associated comments. I had gotten away from that in recent years anyway, but it's definitely off-limits for me this year.

So it is in that regard that the forum members will need to come together to pitch in.

I will probably link most of the the next-day newspaper reports if any. One thing folks will notice this year is that we'll be providing less of the "link PLUS copy-and-paste" and just going with links in many of our threads. While in the long-term, this will impact the archive aspect of the site as some of those links go dead down the road, it will also make it much easier for all providing the news, as formatting the copy-and-paste was among the more tedious and time-consuming aspects of the forum each day.

I indicated privately to TooLiveBrew that some of the "life events" that were going to impact my 2012 are a bit delayed.

While I had always indicated I'd be around "some", turns out I'm going to be able to kick off the initial schedule post for a Link Report, at least until further notice, which was probably going to be the biggest challenge facing the board initially.

What I won't be able to do all season are any of the actual box score links and associated comments. I had gotten away from that in recent years anyway, but it's definitely off-limits for me this year.

So it is in that regard that the forum members will need to come together to pitch in.

I will probably link most of the the next-day newspaper reports if any. One thing folks will notice this year is that we'll be providing less of the "link PLUS copy-and-paste" and just going with links in many of our threads. While in the long-term, this will impact the archive aspect of the site as some of those links go dead down the road, it will also make it much easier for all providing the news, as formatting the copy-and-paste was among the more tedious and time-consuming aspects of the forum each day.

I think the need for us readers to contribute can only make this forum even better. Everyone who participates is going to be just that much better informed. I know I had a lot of fun following the AZL & Helena kids last season, I really did look forward (most nights... sometimes it was tough :)) to seeing how the baby Brewers had done each evening.

I'm still in and will pick up A and AA everyday that I'm available.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I wanted to add that I may not be able to contribute much over the next three weeks or so. I'm going to be busy with summer softball season rapidly approaching (I help to run a league). Once the season gets underway, ironically, my workload should actually diminish significantly.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm swamped with a project until early May. Might be able to help a day here or there but probably not until about May 10th or so.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 months later...

I would be great if we could have someone step up and take the Arizona Brewers and/or Nashville.

DHonks would you be interested? You read the LR everyday, contribute regularly, and are in that time zone so covering the AZ Brewers would be easier for you than those in the East and Central time zones. You wouldn't have to take Nashville, we could work on finding another contributor.

- Plato

- Plato

I can chip in, I'm just a little hesitant to take a team full-time. I do a fair amount of traveling and hotel internet is always hit or miss. I'm out of town for a few days now, home after the MWL All-Star game on Tuesday and then should be able to get a majority of the Nashville and/or AZL games but would miss a few here and there. If someone wanted to maybe tag team with me that might work best. Or if you find someone to take them on full-time I can always just sub for guys when needed too.

How about I take Nashville and you take the T-Rats since you cover them anyway? The media coverage would make it relatively easy to cover you when you're unavailable.

Unless you'd like to work with a different team? What do you think?

- Plato

- Plato

Much as I enjoy contributing, I'm too flakey for link report duties. I keep busy in the summer (I'm a teacher) and ont get o check it every day/night. Also once Aug 1st comes aroun, I'm busy coaching. Thanks or thinking of me, but I just know I'm not reliable enough

Works for me. If you can take them tonight and tomorrow yet, then I will plan on taking the Rattlers once the second half starts up next Friday.

Sounds like a plan.

- Plato

- Plato

Any one willing to take the AZ squad? PrinceFielderx1?

- Plato

- Plato

Awesome, thanks for stepping up, if you have any questions about post formatting please feel to PM any of us who regularly do the postings.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived