Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Maryvale Spring Training Lease

One of my best friends here in Utah is a Cubs fan and just went down for his first experience of Spring Training. He took in two games and one of them happened to be Maryvale. When asked, he said his impression of it is equivilant to a AA park. Much less accommodating than the AAA park in Salt Lake City that he is accustomed to. I understand the benefit some feel towards being close to the sights and sounds, however I don't think that needs to be lost in a facility that seats more people, has upgraded tools, or sits in another state.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

lcbj68c - Dont you live in Florida? Maybe Im mistaken or maybe you moved, but for some reason I seem to remember you living in Florida. In that case, hell yeah Id want them to move to Florida too!!

I used to live in Florida, but I moved away going on 4 years ago. I now live in Salt Lake City, approx a 10 hour drive from Phx. I have no plans of ever returning to Florida. But, having been a resident and having taken in plenty of spring training, the distance between parks, occassional rainout in March, and other factors discussed here are much ado about nothing. If the Brewers get a great situation/offer, they should go.

lcbj68c - Dont you live in Florida? Maybe Im mistaken or maybe you moved, but for some reason I seem to remember you living in Florida. In that case, hell yeah Id want them to move to Florida too!!

I used to live in Florida, but I moved away going on 4 years ago. I now live in Salt Lake City, approx a 10 hour drive from Phx. I have no plans of ever returning to Florida. But, having been a resident and having taken in plenty of spring training, the distance between parks, occassional rainout in March, and other factors discussed here are much ado about nothing. If the Brewers get a great situation/offer, they should go.

Not sure how you can say those factors are "much ado about nothing". In general, Florida Spring training games are clearly more expensive than Arizona ST games, there are less outfield grass seating options in FL, and there is no way you can make the argument that the FL ST games are not a lot more spread out that AZ games. It's just a geographical fact. Here again is what I posted pack in February in this thread (the times I posted between sites are from Google Maps).

FL:

Minn - lowest price $12 (when they play the Yankees or Boston it's $14 - if you can get a ticket)

Pit - lowest price $15 (when they play the Yankees or Boston it's $17 - again, if you can get a ticket)

Toronto - lowest price $17 and they don't have a berm

AZ:

Milwaukee $8.00

Cleve $6.50 for kids, $10.50 for adults

Higher demand teams:

Tor @ NY: Lowest price $21.50 (no berm from what I could see).

Minn @ Boston: Lowest price $27 (only available seats left for this game - RF Grand Stand).

AZ:

Mil @ LA Dodgers: $14

Mil @ SF: $16.50

Mil @ LA Angels: $18.25

If your team plays in FL and they happen to be playing NY, Boston, or Washington good luck getting tickets and if you do expect to pay through the nose. Even if they are playing a team where tickets are less in demand, you are going to pay inflated prices compared to AZ.

Lastly, in regards to travel time between parks. FL is clearly more spread out than AZ. According to Google maps if you stay in Orlando and want to go see your team play in Fort Meyers it's 2 hours and 47 minutes, Clearwater: 1 hour and 40 minutes, even Lakeland (which would be one of the closer sites) is 45 minutes. In AZ the greatest distance between two sites (Mesa to Surprise) is 1 hour and 6 minutes and if you centrally locate yourself, you probably have no more than a 40 minute drive to any park.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'll also add the weather factor is you are going to claim that it "much ado about nothing". According to weather underground.com, March rainfall (in inches) for the last 5 years:

Year Phx Orlando

2014 0.99 3.52

2013 0.85 0.87

2012 0.25 0.97

2011 0.06 6.97

2010 1.09 7.66

I only chose Orlando, because it's a bit centrally located in FL, but my guess is that the results would be similar for other FL locations. The historical average for PHX is 0.99, for Orlando it's 1.61. Significant difference, but not huge. However, as you can see from the last 5 years, the standard deviation seems to be much greater in FL. I doubt you will find many years, if any, with March rainfall totals of 3, 6, or 7 inches in Phoenix.

I just think AZ has a better spring training atmosphere. Anywhere you go there are Brewer fans, other baseball fans. Friendly banter with Cubs fans, whether you're in Chandler, Scottsdale, or Glendale. It just seems to be more of an "event" in AZ.

In Florida, it's almost like "oh, yea spring training is going on." It's just shoved way into the background in FL, whereas in AZ it's a major event.

It is much ado about nothing. I've lived it. For 13 years, I've lived it. I'm not using google maps to lament about driving times. I'm not doing climate research to exacerbate something that isn't there. I'm telling you that I've lived in Florida during Spring Training and have taken in several games a year.

Let me just throw the silly weather argument out the window. While total rainfall numbers seem alarming as if the apocalypse is bearing down in Florida, you can get large amounts of rainfall numbers in a single rain event. Additionally, the rainfall doesn't typically occur in Florida between noon and 4pm, when most games are played. Most rainfall events occur between 4:45pm-6:45pm in Florida. This is because the afternoon seabreezes compete with each other and flare up as the cooling begins in the late afternoon/early evening. Rain may fall, but it's not falling at times of the day to compete with baseball. In fact, only 5.6% of all grapefruit league games were rained out last year. 13 in total, so basically 1 game somewhere in the state every third day. Yes, Arizona doesn't see as much rain, since it's a desert and all, but the reality is I'm not going to avoid making a Florida trip simply because somewhere in the state sees a rainout every 3rd day.

Yes, you are correct that there is distances to be travelled in Florida if one wants to stadium hop every single day over a week or several weeks. Seeing ballparks is my thing and so this just isn't a deterrent for me. That said, If seeing lots of baseball was the main objective of my trip, I wouldn't position myself in Orlando. I'd position myself in the Sarasota Area and be within an hour of 8 parks. We don't know where in Florida the Brewers may position themselves, if at all, but one shouldn't expect to spend 6 hours a day on the road everyday in order to see 3 hours of baseball.

Ticket prices are more in Florida. Everything is more in Florida. Hotel prices, rental car surcharges, food prices. Again, I personally am not going out of my way to avoid Florida because a ticket will cost me $14 instead of $10. Just like any sporting event, tickets on the secondary market can be had, if one really wants to go bad enough. I don't consider that a badge of honor that you can always get into Maryvale because they only draw to 65% of capacity. I'm also not basing my schedule decisions on who has a nice grassy knoll to sit on vs a seat. If you do, there are options in Florida. Personally, my kids behave better in a seat. In conclusion, an extra 20 mins on the road (if one doesn't position themselves in Jacksonville) some days, a 5% chance of a rainout, and $20 less dollars (for a family of 4) in my pocket are not compelling enough reasons to lament over the Brewers potentially moving to Florida. If they get better facilities at a cost that significantly helps the bottom line of the franchise, then move. I won't cry one bit.

How many times have you been to AZ for ST games? Perhaps you thought that FL spring training was fine, but you had no or little comparison to the AZ spring training experience. Also, it's different if you live someplace and have not spent $2,000+ on lodging and airfare costs and burned a week of vacation. I don't think you can compare taking in spring training in a state that you live in vs. being on a one week vacation.

Perhaps you are correct about the timing of the weather. Perhaps it rarely rains during game time hours. However, most people that go to spring training are not just going only for the games. It's a vacation. People are spending money and taking off of work to escape bad weather (again, they are not living down there, they have one week). It's nice to see some baseball and get a little closer to the players than you would be able to during the season, but the games are exhibition games and the starters are usually out of the game by the 5th or 6th inning. Many people leave these games early to enjoy other activities in the nice weather like swimming or golfing (hard to do when it's raining). Walking around Scottsdale on a dry warm night is very enjoyable. The weather factor is not just about games being played, so you can't just throw the "silly" weather argument out the window. AZ is in the desert and FL is tropical. It's just a fact that there is greater chance of rain in FL than in AZ

In regards to cost. It's not just the difference between a $14 and $10 tickets (the prices differences are actually much more dramatic than that especially if you do not want to sit in the outfield as you stated you do not care for). As you stated it's the cost of hotels, food, car rentals are also more. So, why would I prefer to see my team play in a place where everything costs more? On top of that, you have to assume that you can get a ticket. There are a lot more sell outs in FL than in AZ because of all the east coast teams (and their obnoxious fans).

Perhaps the distance between parks is a preference thing. When we go to spring training we want to see the Brewers. Why would we go see two other teams play each other when the Brewers are playing at the same time? We are Brewer fans. In AZ we are within 40 minutes (usually shorter) of seeing the Brewers play at any park that they happen to be at. That would not be true in FL, and even when they were not on the road but playing at home against a team like the Yankees or Red Sox we probably would have a hard time getting a ticket and would have to pay a premium to sit shoulder to shoulder with a crowd that consists 80% of mostly annoying Yankee or Red Sox fans. Again, we are only down there for a week and don't have the luxury of choosing what games we are going to go to over a 30 day period like we would have if we lived there.

We went to FL in 2014 instead of AZ. The trip was mainly to go to Disney World, we had no plans to take in a ST game. However, there was one day that it pretty much rained all day (imagine that!) and we decided not to go to the Disney parks. It stopped raining later in the afternoon and Atlanta was playing a night game. I went online to purchase tickets and I think the cheapest ticket available was something like $25 and it wasn't like it was a great seat (may have even been the outfield). There was no way I was paying that to see an exhibition game.

One thing I will say about FL if you have smaller children is that there is the Disney factor. However, that's if you care to spend the extra money on the park tickets and deal with the crazy crowds during that time of year (we will never go there again in March). However, for adults and older children, you will never convince me that FL compares at all to the enjoyment of spring training in AZ.

Edit: Oh yeah...one more negative about FL...toll roads!!!

Maybe im just saying this because I live in AZ, but I wish spring training was in February. Ive been to one game this spring only because its already in the 90s outside and my idea of fun isnt baking in the heat watching a practice game, especially when I can watch it from home on MLBTV.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Maybe im just saying this because I live in AZ, but I wish spring training was in February. Ive been to one game this spring only because its already in the 90s outside and my idea of fun isnt baking in the heat watching a practice game, especially when I can watch it from home on MLBTV.

Go early. I was in Phoenix the week of the 9th, and the temps didn't hit 90 that week....although 88 with no shade in Peoria on the Friday was not comfortable.

We've gone down to ST in AZ about 12 times. We almost always go during the first week of games. There has been 2 or 3 times where the temps have been in the upper 80's to low 90's. There have been 2 or 3 times where the temps struggled to get to 70. The average temp is 70 and 80 throughout March in Phoenix. Temps in the 90's in March can happen, but they are not the norm.

I suppose for visitors temps in the 80s - low 90s is enticing, but when you live out here and suffer through summer,90s in March is way too soon. Then again when I visit WI and it snows I love it while residents loathe it.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

• 10 months later...

Thought I would revive this thread.

Attanasio arrived in Phoenix today to address the team and media. He finally spoke candidly about the Brewers future at Maryvale.

Here is a link to AdamMcCalvey's article on brewers.com: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/165468730/mark-attanasio-brewers-spring-training-home

For those who don't want to read/watch, here is the readers digest version.

Apparently getting a high tech facility is a big priority and Attanasio plans to set a deadline for working out a deal with the City of Phoenix. If the deadline passes with no deal, he will look at all options, both inside the Phoenix metropolitan area and in Florida. He said he would like to be moved in to the new facility in the next couple years, so construction would need to be immanent.

Thought I would revive this thread.

Attanasio arrived in Phoenix today to address the team and media. He finally spoke candidly about the Brewers future at Maryvale.

Here is a link to AdamMcCalvey's article on brewers.com: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/165468730/mark-attanasio-brewers-spring-training-home

For those who don't want to read/watch, here is the readers digest version.

Apparently getting a high tech facility is a big priority and Attanasio plans to set a deadline for working out a deal with the City of Phoenix. If the deadline passes with no deal, he will look at all options, both inside the Phoenix metropolitan area and in Florida. He said he would like to be moved in to the new facility in the next couple years, so construction would need to be immanent.

I understand the benefits of a newly built stadium but one thing that was addressed last year in this thread is accessibility. If the Brewers can keep that same player accessibility it's a win/win for the team and fans. I've been to every AZ stadium except 2 and Maryvale has by far the best player accessibility and it's not even close, especially for the minor league players. You're standing within a couple feet of all the pitchers throwing bullpens in the facility, watching everyone take BP standing directly behind the fence, can stand next to the dugout and listen to the inside chatter, can talk to the players as they move from one field to another. This is exciting especially given all the talent in the farm system now. Yes, the neighborhood sucks. But the complex is nice. And I've never gone to Maryvale where it's been a sellout. You can always get tix, maybe outside of a few games though. And you can sit next to the dugout for $18. It's a nice cozy stadium. I hope they stay in AZ and keep the accessibility factor for the newly built stadium

We live in Mesa, and have been to games all across the Valley, we're pretty close to the Cubs place now, and it looks great. I really, REALLY open the Brewers stay in Arizona. I also really hope they don't stay in Maryvale. While it isn't THAT bad yet, the neighborhood the park is in isn't one I would be frequenting otherwise and that situation very rarely ever gets better over time.

I really hope Attanasio is purely posturing on the potential of a Florida relocation..

Ditto. If the Brewers moved to FL and doubled their ticket prices they would still probably be the cheapest ST tix in Florida and the availability of tickets would cease to be a sure thing.

Also, for reasons noted earlier in this thread, the whole bad neighborhood thing is really overblown.

Also, for reasons noted earlier in this thread, the whole bad neighborhood thing is really overblown.

I disagree on your opinion on Maryvale. Maybe it has improved in the six years since my wife and I went down there, but I remember the first thing we were told by someone at the hotel we were staying at was, "Yeah, most of this area is pretty good, other than Maryvale...oh, you're Brewers fans? Well, it's not so bad if you just go to the stadium..."

I do personally prefer that they stay in Arizona, if at all possible.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Maryvale is straight up hood. If you are just going to the game and leaving immediately afterwards you are generally ok. The hospital that's a mile or so from the ballpark routinely gets gangbanger gunshot victims dumped off at the ER doors. It's not known as "Murdervale" or "Scaryvale" by locals for no reason.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

The Brewers need to get out of Maryville. Plays is a dump. All the other teams have nice locations with great amenities around them and the Brewers need to get in one of those locations. I much rather go to games where they are the visitor because of this.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Maryvale is a terrible neighborhood. Our family travels there annually for spring training and we've never had or seen any issues at the park. The complex is fine but the area it's in is terrible. The complex is the farthest thing from a dump. The Cubs built a new complex 2yrs ago and we've been there. While it's nice it's extremely overrated. Other than aesthetics I'm not sure how other stadiums amenities are so much better than Maryvale. I can literally stand in the middle of the cross-hairs between 4 diamonds and watch all the workouts - get souvenir balls from players, quickly chat with players/coaches as they move from one field to another, stand 5' from bullpen sessions and BP cage. Where else can you get this experience? People should stop focusing on NEEDING to sit in a luxury ballpark to watch a spring training game and instead focus on making spring training a great "experience". The players have everything they need at Maryvale. You might have just read Tulo commenting how Salt River was a luxury resort resulting in player's not focusing on what they're there to accomplish. I hope the Brewers stay in AZ though

The Brewers need to get out of Maryville. Plays is a dump. All the other teams have nice locations with great amenities around them and the Brewers need to get in one of those locations. I much rather go to games where they are the visitor because of this.

If this is an assessment of the Maryvale area, then I can get on board with the statement. However, if this is an assessment of the stadium and the practice fields themselves, then it is a very large overstatement. Take the stadium site and practice fields and place them into Glendale, Scottsdale, Surprise or Peoria and it becomes one of the best venues in Arizona.

Everyone talks about how horrible the Maryvale area is. I've been there twice, only during games, and it certainly doesn't look like a high class area but I've never felt unsafe there. Has there ever been any issues with players or fans and the locals? I mean there are multi-millionaires and their very expensive cars and gullible midwesterners around for a month and I can't recall ever hearing of any incidents.

If this is an assessment of the Maryvale area, then I can get on board with the statement. However, if this is an assessment of the stadium and the practice fields themselves, then it is a very large overstatement. Take the stadium site and practice fields and place them into Glendale, Scottsdale, Surprise or Peoria and it becomes one of the best venues in Arizona.

Yeah, I can agree with this statement. The field facility itself is very nice. I just like to indulge in nice restaurants/bars before or after the game. Or for my wife, shopping venues is nice as well.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived