Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Maryvale Spring Training Lease

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting. For those of you familiar who arent familiar with Scottsdale this is roughly the area north and east of where the TPC PGA golf course is in north Scottsdale. It would be about 5-6 miles north of Salt River Fields
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Interesting. For those of you familiar who arent familiar with Scottsdale this is roughly the area north and east of where the TPC PGA golf course is in north Scottsdale. It would be about 5-6 miles north of Salt River Fields

Do you know the exact area they're talking about? I'm looking on a map and thinking it's directly north of E. Bell Rd. and west of N. 94th St.

Whatever they do, I hope they stay in AZ for a number of reasons.

1) How relatively close all the parks are in AZ (especially now that there are no teams in Tucson) and how easy it is to get to any one of them. My understanding is that this is not the case in FL.

2) Watching Philly, Yankee, and Red Sox preseason games on TV, I don't think I want any part of that. I think it was a Yankee game I was watching where the outfield just looked like a quilt with people sitting on top of one another. One of the things I like about the ST games in AZ is how usually you have plenty of room to spread out on the OF berms.

3) Average rainfall in Phoenix in March: 1.13 inches. In Orlando (just picked a central FL city): 3.77 Also, could not find it anywhere, but I'm guessing, on average, there are more sunny days in March in AZ than in FL

Other than that, I have just always enjoyed our AZ spring training trips and I have gotten use to the layout down there. I like going out to eat in places like Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler and I also like the Mountains as a backdrop.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Without knowing the particulars of their current spring training facilities in Florida I would have to imagine the most likely Florida candidates to share a potential Scottsdale location with the Brewers would be the Twins or Astros. Once the Astros make the move to the AL West they will be the only team in either West division in Florida. As for Minnesota, they are the furthest west team not currently in the Cactus League, save St. Louis and you know we'd never share a facility with them...or at least I hope we wouldn't.

would be a great move for me...and all the midwest retirees. Lots of midwest folks are "snowbirds" in the Westworld area. I'd have the Brewers about 15 minutes from where I live, and 5 minutes from where I work.

I would like to see the Brewers in Florida as well.

The old Dodgertown campus in Vero Beach is an awesome place, though it would take quite a bit of money to bring it up to modern standards.

Maybe MLB would be willing to spring for those costs. It would be a shame to lose that great historic place.

That would be a dream come true. My grandparents spent almost 20 winters down in Vero Beach so me and my family a very familiar with the area.

Maybe it is because it is all that I know, but I like the Maryville park. It is low key and access to the practice fields is super easy. I think the setup contributes to a very relaxed atmosphere that some of the other parks I've been to don't seem to have. We never stayed in the area so I have no idea what the area is like in the evenings.

• 11 months later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/morning_call/2013/03/mesa-oakland-as-sign-20-year-spring.html

A's to Hohokam.

While I don't want to take the Cubs sloppy seconds in terms of a facility, I definitely hate that the Brewers are still in Maryvale. I went to Surprise Stadium last year, Salt River Fields last week and have been by Camelback Ranch, Goodyear Ballpark, Tempe Diablo and Peoria Sports Complex many times. All of these stadiums are new and/or are in vastly superior neighborhoods. While the ballpark itself is nice, I for one will be shocked if the Brewers don't leave after 2014. There seem to be too many other opportunities out there to not consider leaving that neighborhood.

I for one wouldn't mind sharing a facility with a team from the Grapfruit League, Twins or Astros (only AL West team not in AZ) perhaps if that's what it took in order to get that rumored Scottsdale stadium built.

Great to see that once again the brewers are so far behind the curve they think its a straight line. While other organizations have leveraged moves to get great new facilities, the brewers dicker around with Phoenix to get the best price. Just like never drafting players who are falling down the board due to bonus demands. Wouldn't want to invest a dollar that only returns a $1 and not $2 to the owners pockets.....

Think there a chance the Bewers will move to Florida.

Man, I wish. There's so much more to do and the beach. One can dream.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Think there a chance the Bewers will move to Florida.

Slim. The longest drive is from Hohokam to Surprise or Goodyear. We're talking 45 minutes max. On the flip side, in the Grapefruit league trips are LOOOOOOOOOOONG. With more and more teams making the jump to the close proximity of the Cactus League, they would be crazy to leave.

As I say each year, Wisconsin people don't vacation to Florida, they come to the southwest. Arizona makes sense for so many reasons, including the Brewers having a huge following here.

As I say each year, Wisconsin people don't vacation to Florida, they come to the southwest. Arizona makes sense for so many reasons, including the Brewers having a huge following here.

This is completely crazy. Every year we go to Florida on spring break and every year half of the people we meet are from Wisconsin. Tons and tons of people from WI vacation in Florida, it is crazy how many do. I generally wear Brewers and Packers gear and I am stopped every 5 minutes with someone saying go pack or go brewers.

The reason the Brewers aren't moving to Florida is because Attanasio is based in LA and likes the relatively short distance to Arizona for spring training.

That's actually a great point.

Personally, the wife and I loved our trip to Arizona three years ago (neither of us had been there before). Looking forward to hopefully going back in a couple years. The Brewers don't need to move to Florida, but they do need to get out of Maryvale. Unfortunately, it sounds like that won't be happening anytime soon.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Florida vs Arizona discussion also too place earlier in this thread, but I'll reiterate that I really hope they never move from AZ. We just got back from our 10th trip to spring training in AZ last week. Our family has also done 2 or 3 trips to Florida (mainly Orlando/Disney). I will take Arizona any day over Florida. We went to the Grand Canyon for the first time this year (can't believe we never did that before!). It was a very scenic drive from Phoenix. I know that Sedona is also a very beautiful place to visit.

I really like the fact that no matter where I stay in Phoenix it is a reasonable drive to any of the ballparks. This was the first year in 10 that we did not go to a game every day (since we went to the Grand Canyon one day).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Yeah, Sedona is very cool and well worth the relatively short drive from the Phoenix area. Beautiful views.

I think people that think there isn't enough to do around Phoenix compared to Florida are pretty nuts. I get the appeal of going to the beaches, but still...there is plenty to see and do in Arizona.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived