Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Maryvale Spring Training Lease

A very interesting aspect to this is the battle brewing between local business owners (who make up the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce) and the local government. It appears the Chamber of Commerce is in strong favor of having the Brewers come to Gilbert.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw this on a local Gilbert page today...

The People of Gilbert Arizona:

9 NEW FACTS you want to know about the Brewers Stadium proposal:

1. Milwaukee Brewers will pay for 100% of the stadium, which is $70 million.

2. LGE, the developer who created the amazing downtown Gilbert strip, is willing to invest $90 million to build the surrounding village of restaurants, entertainment, and hotels.

3. $267 million economic benefit for Gilbert comes from just the construction of the stadium.

4. Construction of the stadium, surrounding fields and village will create around 1900 jobs.

5. $278 million in ANNUAL economic benefit for Gilbert after stadium is operational.

6. Operation of the facility and village will create around 2500 jobs.

7. When not being used by the Brewers, the practice fields will be available for youth sports and the town of Gilbert to use all year long.

8. The cost of all this to Gilbert is $3.5 million per year FIXED, which does not escalate with inflation.

9. What will go up with inflation and benefits Gilbert is the $1.5 million extra in tax revenue.

Above all else, Gilbert will not have to pay approximately $750,000 for maintaining the parks that the community is going to be able to use. This, plus the $1.5 million in tax revenue is $2.25 million to the town. Tax revenue goes up over time so the gap between that and the $3.5 is not that much (less than $1 million).

So I pose this question to the people of Gilbert... Where can you get a return of $278 million annual economic benefit???

I'll go one step further, even if only 1/4 of the economic impact happened, where else can you get a return of $70 million per year on a less than $1 million investment?!?

I hope this sheds new light on some facts for what could be a smart business deal. Please share with friends!!!

If the Brewers are truly willing to invest $70 million into the facility than they should be able find a new home in the near future with relative ease whether it is in Gilbert or elsewhere. I remain somewhat skeptical that is indeed the case because the initial study was left somewhat ambiguous on that topic and the initial stories quoting Bob Quinn said the Brewers would cover $20 million.

If the Brewers put down $70 million on their Spring Training facility I believe that would be an unprecedented move (if anyone knows of another instance of a team investing > $50 million on their Spring Training facility let me know). Kudos to them if they are indeed willing to invest that much money.

I think a lot of the motivation for the Brewers to have a new facility isn't necessarily the fan convenience aspects we are drawn to, but more likely centers around items that impact player development such as larger/better strength training facilities, upgraded sports medicine spaces and equipment, additional back fields, nicer locker rooms, expanded nutritional and meal areas, improved player housing options, etc. Beyond just Spring Training the facility serves as the hub for a lot of the organizations prospects during extended Spring Training, player rehab stints, the AZL season, and fall instructs. There is a lot to it beyond just the main playing diamond.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If the proposal from the Brewers was actually that the thing would be labeled as "Under Construction". Why would the city not accept a deal that only requires them to pay basically what they will get in direct revenue? They would be losing absolutely nothing and only could potentially gain from such a deal. Pretty sure that is what the city wants not the Brewers. The Brewers likely want the deal that requires the team to only pay $20mil. That is more in line it's past stadium deals for ST.

I think it is a long shot to pay all of it, but they did drop the cost of the stadium after not getting taxpayer money so maybe their is legit motivation. I like the complex plan so I hope it happens.

I live about 1 mile from this site, in Chandler, but on the border with Gilbert. I don't pretend to be any sort of insider but I do run a local business that heavily involves me with all the local towns and school districts. I don't know anyone on the Gilbert town council nor do I know the mayor. I do know people who work for the town and people who are a part of the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce.... In saying all this, here is what I have been able to find out... The Brewers approached the town of Gilbert with a proposal that included the Brewers pitching in $20m. The town and the Brewers were at the table for about 6 months on this until a town driven study came back that said the numbers didn't make sense for the town. The town left the table (this was back in June). Since then, the Brewers have appeared to get involved with a company called LGE Design Build and the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce. The proposal now being talked about has the Brewers paying for the cost of the stadium ($70m) and LGE taking on the development of the proposed "village" around the new stadium. This would include hotels and restaurants. LGE Design Build is the company most responsible for transforming the small downtown area of Gilbert into a hip, vibrant, must go place for locals. The Chamber of Commerce, without any of the town's funds or approvals, went and had their own study done. It is reported to be a much broader study to include impact on neighboring businesses and areas (such as downtown Gilbert and San Tan Mall/Village). Apparently the study by the town was on impact directly with the new site only and the tax dollars just that site would generate. It is told to me that the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce is all for the new Spring Training facility as the local business owners in the area see the impact it would have. Gilbert, once known as a small farm town has seen unprecendted growth in population and in the "things to do" department. The transformation in the last 5 years has been incredible.

I live about 1 mile from this site, in Chandler, but on the border with Gilbert. I don't pretend to be any sort of insider but I do run a local business that heavily involves me with all the local towns and school districts. I don't know anyone on the Gilbert town council nor do I know the mayor. I do know people who work for the town and people who are a part of the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce.... In saying all this, here is what I have been able to find out... The Brewers approached the town of Gilbert with a proposal that included the Brewers pitching in $20m. The town and the Brewers were at the table for about 6 months on this until a town driven study came back that said the numbers didn't make sense for the town. The town left the table (this was back in June). Since then, the Brewers have appeared to get involved with a company called LGE Design Build and the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce. The proposal now being talked about has the Brewers paying for the cost of the stadium ($70m) and LGE taking on the development of the proposed "village" around the new stadium. This would include hotels and restaurants. LGE Design Build is the company most responsible for transforming the small downtown area of Gilbert into a hip, vibrant, must go place for locals. The Chamber of Commerce, without any of the town's funds or approvals, went and had their own study done. It is reported to be a much broader study to include impact on neighboring businesses and areas (such as downtown Gilbert and San Tan Mall/Village). Apparently the study by the town was on impact directly with the new site only and the tax dollars just that site would generate. It is told to me that the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce is all for the new Spring Training facility as the local business owners in the area see the impact it would have. Gilbert, once known as a small farm town has seen unprecendted growth in population and in the "things to do" department. The transformation in the last 5 years has been incredible.

Thanks for the insider knowledge on this. While Gilbert would be an increase in drive time for me coming from California, I am seriously hopeful they can get this done. Please share any additional information you get regarding the proposal.

I live about 1 mile from this site, in Chandler, but on the border with Gilbert. I don't pretend to be any sort of insider but I do run a local business that heavily involves me with all the local towns and school districts. I don't know anyone on the Gilbert town council nor do I know the mayor. I do know people who work for the town and people who are a part of the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce.... In saying all this, here is what I have been able to find out... The Brewers approached the town of Gilbert with a proposal that included the Brewers pitching in $20m. The town and the Brewers were at the table for about 6 months on this until a town driven study came back that said the numbers didn't make sense for the town. The town left the table (this was back in June). Since then, the Brewiers have appeared to get involved with a company called LGE Design Build and the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce. The proposal now being talked about has the Brewers paying for the cost of the stadium ($70m) and LGE taking on the development of the proposed "village" around the new stadium. This would include hotels and restaurants. LGE Design Build is the company most responsible for transforming the small downtown area of Gilbert into a hip, vibrant, must go place for locals. The Chamber of Commerce, without any of the town's funds or approvals, went and had their own study done. It is reported to be a much broader study to include impact on neighboring businesses and areas (such as downtown Gilbert and San Tan Mall/Village). Apparently the study by the town was on impact directly with the new site only and the tax dollars just that site would generate. It is told to me that the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce is all for the new Spring Training facility as the local business owners in the area see the impact it would have. Gilbert, once known as a small farm town has seen unprecendted growth in population and in the "things to do" department. The transformation in the last 5 years has been incredible.

Thanks for the insider knowledge on this. While Gilbert would be an increase in drive time for me coming from California, I am seriously hopeful they can get this done. Please share any additional information you get regarding the proposal.

Most definitely.

And if that is true, it really does show how badly they want out of Maryville.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

My only surprise with this is that (it appears currently) the Brewers are not getting another major league club to go with them on this..

The Brewers would be able to cut back on some of its costs (say to $55MM instead of $70MM with both clubs committing $40MM each to the stadium and another $15MM to the complex creation).

They could have a nicer place for less money spent..

The Gilbert area should see an increase in its return (not double but still more than just having 1 team)..

7. When not being used by the Brewers, the practice fields will be available for youth sports and the town of Gilbert to use all year long.

is this the norm? if the brewers are paying for the stadium, why should anyone get to use it when not being used. wouldn't the brewrers want the field surface in great condition at all times and not just used by any schmuck?

is this the norm? if the brewers are paying for the stadium, why should anyone get to use it when not being used. wouldn't the brewrers want the field surface in great condition at all times and not just used by any schmuck?

This is the norm. I grew up playing on the Rockies, White Sox, and Dbacks practice fields in Tucson, Arizona.

The leagues pay for the use and it helps recoup some of the operations cost.

Tucson, Arizona brewers fan here.

Pima County (Tucson) is heavily courting the Brewers. News just made public.

http://tucson.com/news/local/a-baseball-comeback-pima-county-reaches-out-to-milwaukee-brewers/article_3c4d2ba0-4f8c-55d8-8c69-fddf8ee15a09.html

I have many contacts in the county government here and am aware that Pima County has been after the Brewers for close to year. I have reason to believe discussion are a bit more advanced than what was reported in the article.

As I've said before, this makes sense. A lot of people down there with midwest ties (Tucson is the University, the Medical School, and retirees...not much else). The old ChiSox and DBacks site (was it Tucson Electric Park?) was in a weak location but had very nice facilities, and a AAA worthy stadium. I'd love to see renovations there with the Brewers buying a AAA team and moving it to Tucson. 1.5-2 hours drive from Scottsdale

As I've said before, this makes sense. A lot of people down there with midwest ties (Tucson is the University, the Medical School, and retirees...not much else). The old ChiSox and DBacks site (was it Tucson Electric Park?) was in a weak location but had very nice facilities, and a AAA worthy stadium. I'd love to see renovations there with the Brewers buying a AAA team and moving it to Tucson. 1.5-2 hours drive from Scottsdale

Yep. Kino Stadium(formerly Tucson Electric Park) is the old D'backs and White Sox stadium. Also home of the D'backs and Padres AAA teams until 2014.

From what I hear Pima County wants to invest $50 million(with the Brewers throwing in some too) and bring in the Brewers and their AAA team.

This would be kind of like what the A's did with the Cubs old stadium in Mesa (Hohokam).

The sale of part of the MLB Advanced Media to Disney that just happened supposedly gave $50m to each of the MLB teams. Any chance that played into the possible willingness to go from paying $20m to $70m? It's a one-time income stream during a stretch of years when the team likely is very profitable anyway.

Whether it's a new ST home or buying one of our minor league affiliates or investing in the Dominican facilities or in the scouting network or whatever it may be, I'm hoping the Brewers use these years of low payroll to invest in the future of the team in some capacity.

Seems like the big story is getting buried a bit. If Tuscon is the landing spot for AAA affiliate, that would great! I mean anywhere is better than CS, but Tuscon sounds better than Fresno. If ST is at same facility, cool, but ST location is secondary.

Two thoughts:

1) I am a little skeptical about the Gilbert plan. If the Brewers and the developmental company were footing the entire bill why has this not happened? It would literally make zero sense for Gilbert to turn down something that will only cost them the money they directly make from it.

2) I seriously question any move to Tucson. It is really far from the other ballparks which I just don't see them doing. I don't buy there being a bunch of Midwest fans there. I mean yes there are, but that is what all of Arizona is. It is a bunch of people fleeing the "cold". You would get little tourist action flocking to Tucson. They will want to be by all the stadiums and Phoenix. The only gain you have from sticking yourself in Tucson is the fact you are the only show within hours. The only way I see them moving there is if the AAA rumor comes to fruition. That would be the only positive coming out of it..,and I guess paying less money. Though how positive is it to snag a less cruddy AAA site than we have now? Is Fresno that huge of a difference than Tucson? I question that.

Two thoughts:

2) I seriously question any move to Tucson. It is really far from the other ballparks which I just don't see them doing. I don't buy there being a bunch of Midwest fans there. I mean yes there are, but that is what all of Arizona is. It is a bunch of people fleeing the "cold". You would get little tourist action flocking to Tucson. They will want to be by all the stadiums and Phoenix. The only gain you have from sticking yourself in Tucson is the fact you are the only show within hours. The only way I see them moving there is if the AAA rumor comes to fruition. That would be the only positive coming out of it..,and I guess paying less money. Though how positive is it to snag a less cruddy AAA site than we have now? Is Fresno that huge of a difference than Tucson? I question that.

This is what I've been hoping for, and why I speculated Tucson a week or so ago. AAA baseball in Tucson is nice for a variety of reasons.

MrTPlush, I think you're exaggerating a bit saying the Brewers would be "the only show within hours." Tempe, Mesa, and Scottsdale are roughly 1 hr 30-45 minutes. That's a pretty easy drive. In good traffic I have to drive nearly an hour to Surprise, 45 minutes to Tempe/Maryvale, over an hour to Goodyear/Camelback Ranch. Gilbert is basically an hour away. What's convenient for me personally is that a former golfer on my team is a starter on U of A's softball team, and it would allow me to head to Tucson to spend a weekend catching some college softball and Brewers games.

Two thoughts:

This is what I've been hoping for, and why I speculated Tucson a week or so ago. AAA baseball in Tucson is nice for a variety of reasons.

MrTPlush, I think you're exaggerating a bit saying the Brewers would be "the only show within hours." Tempe, Mesa, and Scottsdale are roughly 1 hr 30-45 minutes. That's a pretty easy drive. In good traffic I have to drive nearly an hour to Surprise, 45 minutes to Tempe/Maryvale, over an hour to Goodyear/Camelback Ranch. Gilbert is basically an hour away. What's convenient for me personally is that a former golfer on my team is a starter on U of A's softball team, and it would allow me to head to Tucson to spend a weekend catching some college softball and Brewers games.

What are the variety of reasons outside of your personal preferences? I don't think DHonks knowing someone at UA is a good reason In the grand scheme of things Tucson AAA would still be well down the list of AAA spots.

Not much of an exaggerration. The Cubs complex(closest?) would be about 2 hours away in best case traffic.. Then they would be progressively worse.

With all this uncertainty I was just wondering if there is any chance the brewers wind up in Florida instead? Have there been any rumors about that? Or is this completely off the table?

It is not off the table but I think that is the Brewers last resort option. From the people I have talked to in differing chambers of commerce that have been dealing with the Brewers and these situations is that they seriously want to stay in AZ. This is not just a fluff answer the Brewers seriously want to stay in AZ and Florida is really the last and final option. I have talked with the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce members who have dealt with the Brewers and the Peoria Chamber of Commerce members who have also dealt with the Brewers and they have both said this.

I would give the chances of the Brewers going to Florida at about a 5% chance maybe even less.

The Cubs complex(closest?) would be about 2 hours away in best case traffic.. Then they would be progressively worse.

And this is where I was disagreeing. In bad traffic it might be 2 hours. Now I realize we are arguing over 15-30 minutes, but it's a relatively short commute that teams did regularly until 2009.

The reasons why this works:

-available AAA-caliber stadium immediately

-minor league fields and clubhouses for 2 clubs to handle spring training adjacent to stadium

-when I worked Dbacks minor league spring training roughly 12 years ago, the locker rooms and training facilities were very good.

-consistent weather to avoid the constant rainouts plaguing our other affiliates

-facilities to handle a AAA team, extended spring training, rehabbing players, the AZ Summer League all in one spot

-Community/county willing to pony up

-Tucson airport very close and Phoenix airport with direct flights to Milwaukee (important should we purchase a AAA team)

-drive/commute shorter than most in Florida, although roughly double what more are in Arizona (which is why teams usually brought only 2-4 starting players to compete in Tucson). 8:30-9am traffic generally a breeze on the I-10.

-no other viable option at present, besides staying in Maryvale

reasons this isn't great:

-we can wait more years and hope for something better

-It is farther from the greater Phoenix area. Fans wouldn't be able to stay in Old Town and attend home games easily, but can attend road games.

-community near stadium isn't much better than Maryvale. Last time I was there, it needed some development.

-players don't like bus-rides

-many players live in the greater Phoenix area, and wouldn't be able to live at home during Spring Training.

Personally for me, I probably would be more likely to travel to Tucson than Gilbert. I'm not a fan of dealing with the 60, especially nearing rush hour. At least with Tucson I might make a weekend out of it, play some courses I rarely get to, etc. Maryvale is ok--centrally located with plenty of parking. I'm still probably more likely to attend plenty of games at Salt River Fields, Peoria, and Surprise (just cause I like the stadium). My first desire is the north valley, as it has no teams training there, but those rumors died down long ago. Plus, there's also the reality that there's no actual plans for a stadium in Gilbert, just proposals

Two thoughts:

1) I am a little skeptical about the Gilbert plan. If the Brewers and the developmental company were footing the entire bill why has this not happened? It would literally make zero sense for Gilbert to turn down something that will only cost them the money they directly make from it.

To help shed some light on #1, the land the Brewers are seeking for this complex is PRIME and maybe the most PRIME land Gilbert has to offer. The Town of Gilbert will eventually make serious $$$ off the location regardless of what they put there. Some of the other hang ups I am hearing is that the park on the far NW end of the parcel is a Owl Park, a nature reserve type area/park. The other issue is the high school that would border the east side and concerns about traffic and other possible issues between the two during the month of March.

Any chance the Brewers have something on the "back burner" that no one really is aware of? Am I not mistaken that some articles have mentioned deadlines? Just speculating, but what if the Brewers have a "back burner" deal in place like in Kissimmee (Champion Stadium)? Probably makes more sense than Tucson and becomes available in 2019.

Archived