Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Maryvale Spring Training Lease

I agree that most other areas in the greater Phoenix area are much nicer, but to say Maryvale is terrible and the Stadium is a dumpster is just going way too far, IMO.

Anyone traveling to AZ Spring Training for the first time and reading these threads may actually be afraid to travel to the "Ghetto" of Maryvale, which is beyond ridiculous to me.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maryvale(the ballpark) is nice if you want close player interaction. Outside of that it is pretty lacking if you ask me. Just very outdated.

To me it is just the fact we should be able to do so much better than Maryvale. For these small cities the ballparks can actually make quite a bit of economic sense. I guess Gilbert just doesn't want to invest in one. Maybe someday we can move up in the spring training facility world.

I'm 36 and have been to spring training 6 of the past 7yrs and 8-9x overall since I turned 21. While the greater area surrounding the stadium isn't sexy or ideal I've never heard there being any violence or other negative issues that detract folks from attending. While it's not as visually appealing as Scottsdale and other areas I've never felt uncomfortable driving through the area. The parking isn't a beast in or out and the walk isn't long either.

The stadium itself is a great place to watch a game. It's FAR from a dumpster. It's usually very clean and easy to navigate. Every seat gives a great view, easy concourse to walk while also being able to keep an eye on the game (which is great if you have young kids that requires you to get up and move around). The accessibility to players in the stadium is much better than most other stadiums in AZ. It costs $5 to park. For $23, with fees, I can sit 16th row directly behind home plate in the shade. What's the price increase of that ticket with a new stadium in an upscale suburb?

The accessibility to the minor leaguers is by far and away the best of any team in AZ. Standing 10 feet away from 6 different pitchers throwing pen sessions is outstanding. Leaning against the dugout fence, or behind home plate, watching these guys practice or play a game is outstanding. Getting autographs, pictures or simply saying hi to the players and coaches is outstanding. There isn't one team that competes in this regard.

I get the appeal of upgraded facilities because everyone likes luxury but but what's the advantage of watching a SPRING TRAINING game at Salt River or Sloan vs Maryvale? I'll worry about the 81 games that matter in an excellent stadium (Miller Park) vs 15 spring training games that don't matter. There are MLB stadiums in worse neighborhoods than Maryvale (ie White Sox).

At the end of the day, I'm going to spring training regardless of where the Brewers are situated. Well, as long as they're in AZ that is as we always take a day off from a Brewers game and take in a game at another stadium (we've seen them all now and we'll take the overall experience at Maryvale over them all) and the farthest commute is usually around an hour from Scottsdale.

What exactly do the other stadiums have that Maryvale doesn't? I've been to Maryvale a bunch and some others a few times and I don't know what the answer is. There's a field, and seats, and concessions. What else do fans need? Sure, the others look shiny and fancy but it's a spring training complex that has major league players one month a year. You don't need 2 levels of seating with all the bells and whistles and (off topic) you shouldn't be expecting the taxpayers to foot the majority of the cost.

I think its telling enough that nobody suggests actually staying in Maryvale while visiting. Its an area known for its urban decline and past crime. Sure, it may not be as bad as the '80s. Why sugar coat it? Maybe south side Milwaukee bad, but not as bad as the ghetto north side?

I think its telling enough that nobody suggests actually staying in Maryvale while visiting. Its an area known for its urban decline and past crime. Sure, it may not be as bad as the '80s. Why sugar coat it? Maybe south side Milwaukee bad, but not as bad as the ghetto north side?

Are there even any hotels in Maryvale? Isn't a residential neighborhood?

Part of the challenge for tourists is that the plan was Maryvale Sports Complex was to be the lynchpin of urban development, including shops, hotels, etc. it's a low-income area. Generally people say that it's not a great area, especially at night. There's a really nice golf course nearby (formerly Maryvale, but now GCu). I don't mind the current location, I've just preferred more northern suggestions as the northern part is full of folks with disposable income, Snowbirds from the upper Midwest, and--selfishly--it's both near me and underserved by current stadiums. Gilbert isn't a hot area for tourists, but it is a strong area for growth in the last 20 years. I feel like the East Vally has an abundance of teams and--like I previously stated-- I try to avoid the 60 like the plague. Every day it can be counted on for serious congestion and accidents on the traffic report.

Gilbert is a GREAT location. The entire SE Valley is a "Snow Bird" haven. I am from the south side of Milwaukee, attended Milwaukee Tech HS. Marvale is comparable to putting a stadium in place of what is now Bradley Tech, identical type areas. I have lived in the Chandler area for over 20 years and it seems like every neighbor is a transplant from a Midwest town. Gilbert is looking to expand its tourism in the worst way. They have recently built places such as Top Golf, Main Event and have also rebuilt their small downtown area with new vibrant restaurants and nightlife. They already have 3 "newer" hotels within a 5 mile radius of the proposed park. Great freeway acces (the park will be nowhere near the previously mentioned US 60). They loop 202 is one of the new freeways which is easily traveled and ever expanding. For the older fans such as me, this location is about 6 miles to the east of the old Compadre stadium in Chandler with a very similar low crime, family oriented neighborhood. Very close to this proposed location is San Tan Mall, which is a huge outdoor mall with many restaurants. One mile to the west of the proposed site is an already established major shopping and restaurant area with each corner having strip malls with many restaurants. This is a SUPERB location.

I lived in neighboring Glendale a few years after Maryvale Stadium was built and worked at Maryvale in the ticket office for a season. It was my favorite Spring Training Stadium at the time and I visited every park. It is probably still in my Top 5 even with all the newer built ones since then. I love the outfield lawn and the area down the 1B line to seek autographs from players as they head to the locker room. Maryvale Baseball Stadium is like a young baseball fan's dream in my opinion.

Also, you posters that visited in your rental cars and haven't actually lived in this area are making out Maryvale to be like Compton or something.

I actually think it's pretty offensive actually to anyone who has actually lived in the area.

All of the locals I have talked to here will not go near Maryvale at night. During the day there are only a small amount of areas in the Phoenix area that I would not go around. There are parts of downtown Phoenix I will not go near during the day or night. I forget what the locals call the Maryvale hospital but it is not a nice nickname for that hospital basically nearly all of the gun shot, stabbings, and other violent crime victims go to that hospital. In general the area around Maryvale is rather nice which is basically the definition of the greater Phoenix area. There are parts of Surprise that are not that good you can go from million dollar homes in anywhere in the greater Phoenix area and then run into am I in a third world country?

Maryvale is not as bad as Detroit or Wilmington Delaware but it can be rather bad late at night. There is a reason why the Brewers don't play that many games in the evening at Maryvale.

I lived in neighboring Glendale a few years after Maryvale Stadium was built and worked at Maryvale in the ticket office for a season. It was my favorite Spring Training Stadium at the time and I visited every park. It is probably still in my Top 5 even with all the newer built ones since then. I love the outfield lawn and the area down the 1B line to seek autographs from players as they head to the locker room. Maryvale Baseball Stadium is like a young baseball fan's dream in my opinion.

Also, you posters that visited in your rental cars and haven't actually lived in this area are making out Maryvale to be like Compton or something.

I actually think it's pretty offensive actually to anyone who has actually lived in the area.

All of the locals I have talked to here will not go near Maryvale at night. During the day there are only a small amount of areas in the Phoenix area that I would not go around. There are parts of downtown Phoenix I will not go near during the day or night. I forget what the locals call the Maryvale hospital but it is not a nice nickname for that hospital basically nearly all of the gun shot, stabbings, and other violent crime victims go to that hospital. In general the area around Maryvale is rather nice which is basically the definition of the greater Phoenix area. There are parts of Surprise that are not that good you can go from million dollar homes in anywhere in the greater Phoenix area and then run into am I in a third world country?

Maryvale is not as bad as Detroit or Wilmington Delaware but it can be rather bad late at night. There is a reason why the Brewers don't play that many games in the evening at Maryvale.

Does playing night games at home matter? If the Brewers don't play any because the neighborhood sucks then what's the reason the Giants only played 2 night games in downtown Scottsdale this past March? The Rockies and Dbacks combined to play 1 night game at Salt River and that's a great location with Talking Stick and Top Golf across the freeway. The Cubs played 2 at Sloan. Who cares what happens at night in Maryvale - nothing ever happens during the morning/afternoon when games are played. Has anyone ever heard of anything happening....serious question....because I've never seen nor heard anything.

Does playing night games at home matter? If the Brewers don't play any because the neighborhood sucks then what's the reason the Giants only played 2 night games in downtown Scottsdale this past March? The Rockies and Dbacks combined to play 1 night game at Salt River and that's a great location with Talking Stick and Top Golf across the freeway. The Cubs played 2 at Sloan. Who cares what happens at night in Maryvale - nothing ever happens during the morning/afternoon when games are played. Has anyone ever heard of anything happening....serious question....because I've never seen nor heard anything.

I'm only going off of memory but I think some players' cars got broken into a few years ago plus the whole serial murder that was on the lose for like a year. Obviously both extreme ends of the spectrum but I really don't remember anything else.

Outside of Scottsdale Stadium are there any other stadiums you can walk to hotels, restaurants, bars, shopping, etc? Even Talking Stick to Salt River would be an awful walk. Maybe Sloan (east side of park)? You're driving everywhere unless you're a Giants fan basically

Isn't Camelback Ranch right next to a shopping center?

Why sugar coat it? Maybe south side Milwaukee bad, but not as bad as the ghetto north side?

This is basically saying Hispanic/Latino lower income area vs. an African American lower income area?

WOW. Just wow.

But you are not "scared" to drive from the Caucasian wealthy areas (Brookfield, etc) to the Caucasian lower income area (West Allis/West Milwaukee) to see a game at Miller Park?

Are there any nice hotels and shopping centers within walking distance from Miller Park?

Answer: No

I guess being drunk in a big parking lot shields us from all that.

Why sugar coat it? Maybe south side Milwaukee bad, but not as bad as the ghetto north side?

This is basically saying Hispanic/Latino lower income area vs. an African American lower income area?

WOW. Just wow.

But you are not "scared" to drive from the Caucasian wealthy areas (Brookfield, etc) to the Caucasian lower income area (West Allis/West Milwaukee) to see a game at Miller Park?

Are there any nice hotels and shopping centers within walking distance from Miller Park?

Answer: No

I guess being drunk in a big parking lot shields us from all that.

That’s a pretty bold acquisition. Curious, are there West Allis neighborhoods or South Side neighborhoods that match Metcalfe Park or Park West in crime rate?

Also, when was the last time you were at Miller Park? There is tons of nice shopping on Miller Park Way. And yes, I’ve walked from Target to Miller Park before even though game parking is “outlawed”. And yes I’ve visited the stores and restaurants before and after games.

So I'm confused on the Gilbert deal. The Mayor says it's dead. The Brewers front office acknowledges ongoing talks yesterday. ABC is Phoenix runs that article. Where does this stand?

There was never talking. The Brewers or the development company brought up very simple terms so Gilbert could research the possibility. Gilbert say they have already done so and said no. So quickly they didn't bother even negotiating or sending back a counter offer of any sort. It's possible the Milwaukee employee interviewed for the story isn't kept up with the status of said proposals.

So I'm confused on the Gilbert deal. The Mayor says it's dead. The Brewers front office acknowledges ongoing talks yesterday. ABC is Phoenix runs that article. Where does this stand?

There was never talking. The Brewers or the development company brought up very simple terms so Gilbert could research the possibility. Gilbert say they have already done so and said no. So quickly they didn't bother even negotiating or sending back a counter offer of any sort. It's possible the Milwaukee employee interviewed for the story isn't kept up with the status of said proposals.

From the article on Brewers.com about the Spring Training site:

Brewers executive vice president of finance and administration Bob Quinn confirmed that the team is familiar with a proposal to build a new facility in Gilbert, Arizona.

Seems like a strange article to run specifically when the Mayor says the city of Gilbert has moved on. Peculiar.

Anything to keep the Brewers in Arizona and out of Maryvale. Will make for long-ish trips between Gilbert and Surprise but still shorter than trips in the Grapefruit League.

Yah, they are in a great geographical location now. Too bad Maryville is terrible and the stadium is a dumpster.

You probably don't realize it, but what you just said is probably pretty offensive to people actually living in Compton.

From the article on Brewers.com about the Spring Training site:

Brewers executive vice president of finance and administration Bob Quinn confirmed that the team is familiar with a proposal to build a new facility in Gilbert, Arizona.

Seems like a strange article to run specifically when the Mayor says the city of Gilbert has moved on. Peculiar.

That article ran before the public comments by the mayor were said, right? This might have been known to be dead by everyone involved except Bob Quinn. Once it started getting lots of attention the mayor felt the need to publically announce it was dead. So it didn't get bigger than it needed to be.

Here is the text of the entire article on Brewers.com:

Whether a stadium proposal moves forward in Phoenix's East Valley or the Brewers remain at Maryvale Baseball Park, baseball operations officials were pleased to see news of progress in the team's ongoing Spring Training saga.

Brewers executive vice president of finance and administration Bob Quinn confirmed that the team is familiar with a proposal to build a new facility in Gilbert, Ariz., about 35 miles southeast of Maryvale. According to the original report in the Arizona Republic, the Brewers could contribute $20 million to the $90 million project. But the club is quick to say they remain open to remaining at their current home in west Phoenix if the city finds room in the budget for further upgrades to Maryvale. It has been home to Milwaukee's Spring Training operation and a Rookie League team since 1998, while also serving as a year-round home for players rehabilitating injuries. "You see what the other facilities look like right now, and all we want to do is have the best in everything we do," Brewers assistant general manager Matt Arnold said. "Whether that's the big league level, the Minor League level, or our hub for Spring Training, that's the goal. If we can accomplish that in Maryvale, that would be great. "Obviously, we would like to have that figured out sometime soon."

Quinn has been exploring options for several years. There are positives to the team's current home, despite its unfavorable location. The Brewers don't share the facility with another team, and the Minor League facilities are on-site. But with the growth of front offices and developments in medical care, Maryvale has become outdated. "In some ways, the intimacy of Maryvale is productive for us as an organization, but baseball organizations have grown in numbers, and we're just out of space," Brewers manager Craig Counsell said. "I think that's the big thing. It's changed significantly in the last couple of years for every organization. "And then there are some quality upgrades that need to be made on fields and things like that. Those are getting to the point they have to be made, in my opinion."

According to the Arizona Republic, officials in Gilbert are reviewing a proposal that calls for a 7,500-seat ballpark, six practice fields, a 55,000 square-foot clubhouse, a 10,000 square-foot office and a 13-acre adjoining village with a hotel, offices and retail. If the project moves forward, it could be open by 2019, the newspaper reported.

"We need to make progress," Counsell said. "We need to improve our facility, whether that is at Maryvale or someplace else."

The whole situation seems odd to me especially now that the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce is hiring a separate consultant given the findings of the first was "limited." This story is not dead by any stretch of the imagination.

Wow, that is a really interesting article. For those that haven't checked out that link you should do so. To give an idea the name of the article is: Study Finds Buying Brewers New Spring Training Park Will Lose Money, So Town Buries Study And Commissions Friendlier One

As a side note, I actually invested a lot of effort researching this topic (public finances used towards professional sports venues) for a college class many years ago. In most cases using economic projections to justify using public funding for sports or entertainment venues is going to be significantly flawed and/or a losing battle. One example, the "jobs created" are typically overstated and many of them are of the "seasonal employment" variety. I honestly think a better approach than trying to justify that the stadium is going to pay big dividends to the local economy would be to be stick with the pitch surrounding intrinsic benefits gained by the public in having a team located in their community as well as coming up with creative ways the public could utilize the facility throughout the year to maximize it's appeal as a local landmark.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

personally I do not see how ANY town investing into a spring training stadium is a good investment. you basically are paying millions of dollars to have a team play games there for 5 weeks that locals have NO connection with. Yes for that time, tourism is very good, but at some point it is a bad investment in how long the ROI is.

that being said, I ould think that if Gilbert falls through some other city would be interested in a new stadium depending on how much the brewers are willing to invest.

I think the best way to get this done is to find a Florida team to pair with, this seems like the best way to get a deal done based on past stadium projects.

it seems that the brewers are the ones being proactive in getting out of Maryvalle, which is a good thing.

Archived