Brewer Fanatic

Golf Thread

RobDeer 45

Did a quick search, not sure if there is a golf thread in here but didn't see one. I'm not sure how many golfers are in here but thought we could start a thread for all things golf. Any of you guys belong to a course?

Got a mechanics question that I need help on. Do any of you know any good exercises to train yourself to have a straight back swing? I know my baseball/softball swing has hampered my ability to get this fixed. I'm going to make an effort to correct my swing this year and I believe this is the first main hurdle I have.

I prefer not getting a membership anywhere and just playing random courses throughout the area. I hate being limited to one course.

Disclaimer: I am not a PGA pro...but I do know the swing fairly well. My swing coach (me) has helped me have an average score in low 80's/upper 70's. Regarding the question about your backswing...I always like grabbing 2 clubs or maybe even a sledgehammer and just swing them back slowly (not meant to be at full speed). Its very hard to get off plane when you have all the extra weight. I always like the John Daly approach of starting the backswing by thinking low and slow. Just make sure your the toe of the club is pointing straight up when the shaft is parallel to the ground. You should be able to get it pointing straight up with just a shoulder turn (and maybe a little bit of hands).

If you want...I could probably give you more direction if you posted a video of your swing.

I would recommend having someone kneel behind you on the range, and practice your take-away by slowly starting your swing and having him/her hold their hand out to stop (and hold) the clubhead when it gets to almost waist-high.

This will allow you to be able to get instant feedback to make sure the toe is pointing up and that you took it back correctly.

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/backswing.htm

I like this one too. http://www.andylambgolf.com/online-lessons/lesson1.php

The other one I like is also the one I can't find a picture of....but it works almost the same as the above link. I saw this on the show The Golf Fix. Place your hands at your side with your palms pointing away from your body. Then put your palms together with your right arm going over the top of your left arm. When you do the first half of the back swing (and follow through)...the crossover created by your hands forces you to stay on plane. Obviously once you get past the point where the club goes past being parallel to the ground...this drill doesn't do much good.

I had this problem last year where I could not replicate the driving range successes on the golf course. I spent lots and lots of time at the range, especially in April and May. For the most part, I hit well with my driver. When I got to the course, I was all over the place.

Also, I did have a problem at one point last year where my hands would almost get stuck at the top of the back swing when I would start my hip rotation. My body would open way up, opening up the club face, forcing me to have a wicked slice. It happened with pretty much every club, including the pitching wedge. It was beyond frustrating...I went from hitting the best I ever did to not being able to hit at all.

• 1 year later...
I peaked at a +1.8, so perhaps what worked well for me could work for you. In my college years I would go to the Moorland golf center (by The Ridge theater). I would hit off range mats so that directly behind me were the windows of the shop. I treated them as a mirror to judge my take back. I wanted my club at waist high to be pointing straight back with the clubface pointing to the sky. From there my goal was to continue rotating my body while simply flipping my hands to shoulder high

I peaked at a +1.8, so perhaps what worked well for me could work for you. In my college years I would go to the Moorland golf center (by The Ridge theater). I would hit off range mats so that directly behind me were the windows of the shop. I treated them as a mirror to judge my take back. I wanted my club at waist high to be pointing straight back with the clubface pointing to the sky. From there my goal was to continue rotating my body while simply flipping my hands to shoulder high

You do know that you are replying to a post from over a year ago...right?

Anyways, if you are looking to become a better golfer...maybe you could try this:

http://thedanplan.com/

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

You do know that you are replying to a post from over a year ago...right?

Anyways, if you are looking to become a better golfer...maybe you could try this:

http://thedanplan.com/

He is, but I still have not fixed my back swing yet ;) Hahaha. I shouldn't even call it my back swing, that's fine, it's when it goes from back swing to swing I rotate it out (like a loop at the top) and then end up coming outside in. I know exactly what I'm doing wrong and what I should be doing, just can't get it to change. I'm looking at taking lessons this summer to help me with that.

• 1 month later...

Big golfer here. Not a member at any course, I mostly just play the munis in Columbus.

About your mechanics question, one way to get straight back is to focus on the feel of keeping the clubhead outside of your hands going back and not hinging your wrists until the club is parallel to the ground.

Just a diehard Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks and Admirals/Predators fan living the good life in the heart of Buckeye country.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to get my kids into golf. I have a soon to be 5 year old and 7 year old. I'm a grip it and rip it hack and won't be able to help them the correct way.

Am I better getting them lessons right away or let them play at the driving range first? I'm not sure if I get the lessons first that they won't develop as many bad habits.

Thank you for this reminder. My game had gone to hell and haven't been able to break 100 in three years (living in LA and NY will ruin your game). I just started focusing on this and keeping my left elbow straight. Shot a 91 at Whispering Springs in my first full 18 of the year (tough greens there), and a week and a half ago got out for 9 after work and was +3 after 8 but the damn skeeters were so bad on #9 (got right in my face as I was swinging on my approach shot to the green - right at the 100 yard marker in the middle of the fairway; topped it 25 yards short of the green) they cost me what would have been the second time I finished under 40 for a 9.

I'm somewhat interested in replacing some of my long irons with hybrids, but I don't have a ton of money to put into them. I'd replace my 3-iron and probably 4-iron with a hybrid. Do any of you use hybrids? If so, how do you like them? Any tips on quality, budget hybrid clubs out there? I would of course need to hit them at a store to see how I like them.

On a side note, I shot my lowest 9 in over 10 years the other day. I was even through 5, and should have been even through 6, but I missed my par by less than an inch. I also missed chipping in for an eagle on a par 5 by about an inch (I was pin high just off the green on my 2nd shot). I think carrying around my kid a lot has given me a bit more strength because I can hit the ball much farther this year than in years past. It feels good to be back where I was many years ago.

I have a 3 hybrid and will for sure go 3 and 4 with hybrid with my next set. I love it! I used to dread using my 3 iron and now with the hybrid, it's one of my favorite clubs. I think you are probably fine with any hybrid that feels good to you. Just test them out at a place. Get a couple in your price range and see what works best. You might be able to save money too by buying a hybrid that is new, but a couple years old.

Anyone by any chance have the Rocketballz HP irons? I'm very interested in them and want to know what people think.

Hunter Mayhan drops out of the Canadian open after the 2nd round with the lead when his wife goes into labor. Clearly the right decision, but wow, 1st place was $1M. No guarantee that he would have won the tourney, but talk about your "million dollar baby"!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Hunter Mayhan drops out of the Canadian open after the 2nd round with the lead when his wife goes into labor. Clearly the right decision, but wow, 1st place was $1M. No guarantee that he would have won the tourney, but talk about your "million dollar baby"!

Yeah 1 million is a lot but he has made over 24 million in his career so far so I am guessing he will be alright!

• 7 months later...

This could have also have gone in the "What's not bugging me" thread.

I really enjoy the wealth of golf tips/help you can find on the internet. I have been going to the Currie golf dome once a week for the last 4 or 5 weeks and I've been pretty pleased with how I'm striking the ball with the exception of one glaring issue....I have been shanking just about all of my chip shots for the last 2 weeks. It's been really frustrating. So, I did a quick "shanking chip shots" search on the internet this morning and found several videos. After watching 2 of them it's pretty clear what I'm doing (too open of a stance and definitely coming outside-in on my chip shots). I now feel very confident I can fix it. I can't wait to try!

Archived