Brewer Fanatic

Worst News Ever - Russell Branyan New York Yankee

This really upsets me. What does Melvin have against bringing guys back who are not named Counsell? Yes, he brought The Muscle back once along with Cirillo, but from what I remember both had to basically beg him for a job. Yes, I know that Branyan is basically a PH/1B at this point....

I think he's going to like hitting in that stadium.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He would have been a nice cheap insurance policy for the Brewers at any rate. Very little risk there. One frustration that I have with Melvin is that year in and year out, he passes on guys like this, and then comes back to Milwaukee with a guy like Erick Almonte, Brad Nelson or Chris Duffy on the roster.

This really upsets me. What does Melvin have against bringing guys back who are not named Counsell? Yes, he brought The Muscle back once along with Cirillo, but from what I remember both had to basically beg him for a job. Yes, I know that Branyan is basically a PH/1B at this point....

I'm still at a loss why we're so consistently disappointed that a guy who's been worth 12 WAR over 12 seasons wasn't brought back to a team that Melvin has said specifically needs to rely on their younger home grown players, and believes we have several guys who can contribute in the near future.

And actually, since 1998, it's only 11.9 WAR. So still not getting the BF.NET love. He can hit it a mile and he gets red hot for 2-3 week stretches and then can't hit for 3 months.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

This is amazing. Perfect fit for Yankee Stadium, except that they're going to have to install a 4th level on the RF upper deck. Principessa is excited.

I'd only heard Raul Ibanez-Yankees rumors leading up to this, so I wonder if that's still something they're going to pursue. One concern they reportedly had was Ibanez being older, & Branyan's a tick younger.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Branyan would have absolutely no role on our team. If we sign a player in his mold we would want a righty.

It won't surprise me if he gets like 50 AB this year and retires afterwards. The power isn't what it used to be and he doesn't do anything else well enough to keep a job.

Do we know that Melvin didn't try and go after Branyan? Seems like an interesting assumption as DM usually does his due diligence on most options.

Interest has to go both ways and the Yankees seem like a better fit for him than the Brewers given the left handed friendliness of Yankee Stadium, rosters and DH option.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Can they really be evil anymore if Russell Branyan is wearing their uniform?

They are all the more evil BECAUSE he is wearing the uniform. Does the devil become less evil because he seduces another soul? [/half-blue]

I agree with Endder, though. He wouldn't have a role with the team.

I'm still at a loss why we're so consistently disappointed that a guy who's been worth 12 WAR over 12 seasons wasn't brought back to a team that Melvin has said specifically needs to rely on their younger home grown players, and believes we have several guys who can contribute in the near future.

And actually, since 1998, it's only 11.9 WAR. So still not getting the BF.NET love. He can hit it a mile and he gets red hot for 2-3 week stretches and then can't hit for 3 months.

The problem I have is that as it stands, outside of Kottaras, there is not one player on the Brewer bench with any discernible power, and with Kottaras, you cannot use him regularly as a PH because he is the backup catcher. I'd rather have an option like Branyan on the bench than a 7th RH rotting in the bullpen like they had for a good chunk of last season. The Brewers used a pinch hitter 257 times last season with an OPS of .619. In my view, there is a role on this team for a DH type with little to no versatility/skills in the field.

Branyan would have absolutely no role on our team. If we sign a player in his mold we would want a righty.

It won't surprise me if he gets like 50 AB this year and retires afterwards. The power isn't what it used to be and he doesn't do anything else well enough to keep a job.

Blasphemous!!! 3TO will bring the power of a 1000 suns into Yankee stadium and threaten power records normally reserved for Ruth, Mantle & Maris.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd only heard Raul Ibanez-Yankees rumors leading up to this, so I wonder if that's still something they're going to pursue. One concern they reportedly had was Ibanez being older, & Branyan's a tick younger.
Russell has had so many health issues compared to Ibanez - even with the age difference,. If I wanted a lefthanded hitter to get 400 ABs, I'd probably go with Ibanez due to the Muscle's constant trips to the DL.

But honestly, I wouldn't want either of them at this stage of their career. I love Russell, but I wouldn't trust his health.

The problem I have is that as it stands, outside of Kottaras, there is not one player on the Brewer bench with any discernible power, and with Kottaras, you cannot use him regularly as a PH because he is the backup catcher. I'd rather have an option like Branyan on the bench than a 7th RH rotting in the bullpen like they had for a good chunk of last season. The Brewers used a pinch hitter 257 times last season with an OPS of .619. In my view, there is a role on this team for a DH type with little to no versatility/skills in the field.

Precisely! And when you need one run to tie it late in the game and have the bench of Izturis, Green, Gomez & Aoki (Kottaras won't be used most times as he's the backup C), you likely will need more than the one hit that Branyan brings. Green may develop the power eventually but most everything I've read is he is a doubles guy.

Give me Branyan or his RH equivalent.

I feel the same way. I have to wonder whether the Brewers are waiting on the whole Braun thing to play out. If Braun is suspended, my gut says they will get Conor Jackson and I'm not a big fan of his. I still think that they should call Houston and see if they are willing to eat some serious cash for El Caballo. As for free agents, the cupboard is pretty much bare (with options dwindling by the day), but there are a few guys out there like Ankiel and Ibanez (both lefties though without much experience in LF). A wily vet who was willing to accept his role like Jason Giambi would be ideal. Let's assume that Braun is suspended. Just for giggles, let's say that Manny's agent comes to Melvin in Maryvale begging for a job. Do you bite?

Let's assume that Braun is suspended. Just for giggles, let's say that Manny's agent comes to Melvin in Maryvale begging for a job. Do you bite?
assuming braun is suspended for fifty games, his suspension would end when manny ramirez's suspension would end (assuming manny is signed to a major league contract by opening day). how would that benefit the brewers?

I feel the same way. I have to wonder whether the Brewers are waiting on the whole Braun thing to play out. If Braun is suspended, my gut says they will get Conor Jackson and I'm not a big fan of his. I still think that they should call Houston and see if they are willing to eat some serious cash for El Caballo. As for free agents, the cupboard is pretty much bare (with options dwindling by the day), but there are a few guys out there like Ankiel and Ibanez (both lefties though without much experience in LF). A wily vet who was willing to accept his role like Jason Giambi would be ideal. Let's assume that Braun is suspended. Just for giggles, let's say that Manny's agent comes to Melvin in Maryvale begging for a job. Do you bite?

Conor Jackson was invited to the Rangers camp. You can sleep tonight.

assuming braun is suspended for fifty games, his suspension would end when manny ramirez's suspension would end (assuming manny is signed to a major league contract by opening day). how would that benefit the brewers?

Ironically enough, I totally forgot about Manny's pending suspension. Scratch that idea.

Conor Jackson was invited to the Rangers camp. You can sleep tonight.

Didn't know that either. Color me uninformed. I'm grasping at straws here.

Well he did "bring back" Corey Patterson this year!

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived