Brewer Fanatic

Suppan signs minor league deal with San Diego

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This isn't really important, but I thought it fun to report on the favorite all time Brewer, Jeff Suppan.

http://www.mlbtraderumors...to-sign-jeff-suppan.html

Suppan, who just turned 37, had a 4.78 ERA and a 1.431 WHIP at AAA last year. Granted, it was the Pacific Coast League, but you gotta wonder what anyone sees in him at this point.

Not sure why teams keep giving him a chance either. I don't get why he would wanna play in AAA again at this stage in his career either.

I think some teams see value provided by Suppan in the experience, polish, & professionalism he brings. If the Pads needed rotation or pitching staff filler for AAA, & Soup still wants to play, good for both parties.

My personal guess is that Suppan has some interest in coaching, and hanging around the game in any capacity until he has to hang up the spikes is meaningful for him... perhaps even helpful towards a goal of coaching, in showing that he's a team player.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Why not keep playing? There's always time to get a real job if the pitching thing doesn't work out for him. Yes, he's made millions, but being a professional baseball player is not something you can do in your AARP years. Do it while you can. It baffles me that people even question why athletes try to "hang on".

I don't get this signing for either party. The guy was hit around in AAA last year, does he really want to put in another year in the PCL? Maybe his wife is nagging him about remodeling the house or something.... Is the restaurant still open? Even if he lost a ton in that venture, he should still have enough Brewer money to live on forever. I get the 'love of the game' thing, but if that was the case, aren't there independent leagues in California that would allow him to play closer to home?

I don't get this signing for either party. The guy was hit around in AAA last year, does he really want to put in another year in the PCL? Maybe his wife is nagging him about remodeling the house or something.... Is the restaurant still open? Even if he lost a ton in that venture, he should still have enough Brewer money to live on forever. I get the 'love of the game' thing, but if that was the case, aren't there independent leagues in California that would allow him to play closer to home?
Exactly, it's not like he's poor and has to play for the money or because he has nothing else to do. He has another business venture, and he could always go into coaching or something. Not sure why getting rocked in AAA appeals to him or the Padres.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

For the Padre organization, the importance of the minor leagues is not to win minor league pennants, but to develop their top talent to become major league players. I would guess that Suppan could teach his teammates a lot about what it takes to be a MLB player.

As for why he'd continue to play... because he can. Someone is willing to pay him to do something he loves, so why not play? It's not like someone from the BBWA is going to say "I was going to vote him into the Hall of Fame, but now I won't because he finished his career in AAA."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

For the Padre organization, the importance of the minor leagues is not to win minor league pennants, but to develop their top talent to become major league players. I would guess that Suppan could teach his teammates a lot about what it takes to be a MLB player.

As for why he'd continue to play... because he can. Someone is willing to pay him to do something he loves, so why not play? It's not like someone from the BBWA is going to say "I was going to vote him into the Hall of Fame, but now I won't because he finished his career in AAA."

I know what you're trying to say here, and I agree with you. I just can't help but laugh anytime there is a post that includes "Jeff Suppan" and "Hall of Fame".

Seriously though, why would you want to live the minor league lifestyle in your late 30's with millions in the bank and a family at home (does he have kids?). Don't AAA guys stay in Day's Inns with a roommate and get like 25 bucks a day meal money? It's not like he's Crash Davis or something, trying to get that second cup of coffee because he wants the glory/needs the money.

My only thought is that he's deluded himself to the point where he still thinks he can pitch in MLB. Either that, or maybe his wife does nag him too much at home. I know some guys that get overwhelming 'to do' lists once they retire, especially if they do so before the wife.

Seriously though, why would you want to live the minor league lifestyle in your late 30's with millions in the bank and a family at home (does he have kids?).

Dude was on the couch watching the 1996 NLCS DVD for the fifteen thousandth time and his wife snapped and made him promise to get a job?

Seriously though, why would you want to live the minor league lifestyle in your late 30's with millions in the bank and a family at home (does he have kids?).

Dude was on the couch watching the 1996 NLCS DVD for the fifteen thousandth time and his wife snapped and made him promise to get a job?
Busboy at 'Soup's On'?

Don't AAA guys stay in Day's Inns with a roommate and get like 25 bucks a day meal money?

Suppan can probably dip a little into his personal accounts if he wanted to. He'd certainly make enough money to offset whatever he had to spend to class up his road accommodations.

I agree with jerichoholic, Soup seems to just love the game.

Don't AAA guys stay in Day's Inns with a roommate and get like 25 bucks a day meal money?

Suppan can probably dip a little into his personal accounts if he wanted to. He'd certainly make enough money to offset whatever he had to spend to class up his road accommodations.

I agree with jerichoholic, Soup seems to just love the game.

But wouldn't that make him kind of a prima donna in the eyes of the other players? I could see it if he was a player-coach or something, but to me Soup is starting to come off like the 30 year old dude at the college house party.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

But wouldn't that make him kind of a prima donna in the eyes of the other players?

I doubt he is taking limos and staying at the Four Seasons while the rest are on the bus and at the Roach Motel. Plus, AAA is much better than A-ball too. I doubt its too "rough" on them.

Not sure why its such a big deal to people that he wants to play baseball. Better to leave too late than to leave too early.

But wouldn't that make him kind of a prima donna in the eyes of the other players? I could see it if he was a player-coach or something, but to me Soup is starting to come off like the 30 year old dude at the college house party.

I dunno, if he buys a few pregame spreads here & there for his teammates, I'd bet they'd love having him around. http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smile.gif

His ERA is going to be about 6 if he doesn't make the Padres. They play in Tucson and the other three teams in their division are Las Vegas, Fresno and Sacramento. Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, Reno and Tacoma make up the rest of their Conference. High altitudes, thin air, balls flying out. At the very least he better get a good pillow from turning his neck. http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/wink.gif

trwi7] At the very least he better get a good pillow from turning his neck. http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/wink.gif

I don't think he has to turn his neck any more. He's had enough balls leave the field stadium zip code that he can tell without looking.

His ERA is going to be about 6 if he doesn't make the Padres. They play in Tucson and the other three teams in their division are Las Vegas, Fresno and Sacramento. Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, Reno and Tacoma make up the rest of their Conference. High altitudes, thin air, balls flying out. At the very least he better get a good pillow from turning his neck. http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/wink.gif
He posted a 4.78 ERA in 165 innings with Omaha last season. This signing just has to be almost paying for a role model, but he's also a real organizational soldier at this point.

My personal guess is that Suppan has some interest in coaching, and hanging around the game in any capacity until he has to hang up the spikes is meaningful for him... perhaps even helpful towards a goal of coaching, in showing that he's a team player.
If his goal is to get into coaching wouldn't it make more sense for him to retire rather than hang around. Then he'd have a couple more years coaching experience and would have a jump on moving up in the coaching ranks.

Archived