Brewer Fanatic

Cecil Fielder Article talking about Prince--good stuff inside

miggs721

I was estranged from my dad for nearly 30 years. When he was diagnosed with cancer, we reconnected and had a short 6 months. I wouldn't trade those 6 months for anything. There comes a time when all involved have to realize that all involved bear at least some responsibility for failed familial relationships and get past it. I hope that Prince and Cecil reconnect at some point. I miss my dad.

That really didn't seem very scathing at all. The reporter basically got 2-3 oft-repeated quotes from Cecil and made a story out of it. Same old, same old. Cecil thinks that he deserves some credit for Prince's success and somehow thinks that entitles him to having a relationship with his son. It comes across more like pouting and it's been like that for a long time.

It seems that Cecil has turned into kind of a hustler, so it's tough to take what he says at a given time at face value. At the same time, if Prince truly is freezing out his grandparents, that pretty harsh.

I wish that they still had that 'Forgive or Forget' show on TV so we could get the full story. Anybody remember Mother Love?

That's a tough one. I think people here are mostly jumping on Cecil, but we know Prince has also not been very grown up with things. Money is huge, and a lot of trust was destroyed. But his father had a gambling problem and needs help and support, not bitterness and hatred.

Honestly, reading that article, I can see why Prince doesn't want anything to really do with Cecil. Cecil comes off as rather entitled, and I don't think having a relationship with his son and family is his sincere motivation. Cecil tries to paint himself as a great father, while not mentioning stealing Prince's signing bonus and racking up huge gambling debts.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Cecil: There's a lot of people that wish he would get over whatever he's got going on with his self.

I think that the same could be said about Cecil and that it'd probably be more applicable to Cecil.

Cecil: I know what I did for my son, and he knows what I did for him.

Prince has given credit to Cecil when it's due, even in recent years. If he does something because he learned it from his dad, he'll say so.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

For example, Cecil Fielder said: "We all knew the kid was obese. He had a hard time running to first base without getting tired. You don't transform your body by yourself, you've got to have trainers, you've got to have people cooking for you, there's a lot of things that go into that. …

Bravo Cecil! You recognized that your genes and eating habits made your kid fat, so you "transformed" him into the svelte man his is today. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

While nearly everyone here knows where I stand on Prince (not a fan at all in case you missed the "Please do not sign Fielder thread") I cannot blame Prince one bit for not wanting a relationship with Cecil. Reasons?

1. Stolen signing bonus - $200k

2. Airing dirty laundry in the press

3. Cecil's papers served on Prince as he left field while in Single A

4. Leaving his family penniless, w/out any kind of health insurance and in a home that was foreclosed upon while living w/ his new girlfriend in a penthouse suite

While Prince is by no means a perfect person or a man to emulate he is not nearly as much of a scumbag as his father.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I don't know what type of man Prince is. But every single time I read something that Cecil said it irritates me to the core. He's got all the tendencies of someone who has a huge yet delicate ego, a selective memory to accommodate it, and is possibly a bit sociopathic as a result.

This leads me to believe that there are probably many good reasons for why he feels the need to keep away from his father's side of the family. Imagine growing up with that man as your father. You can't tell me he was a good man all those years and just had a few "screw ups." No, that sort of scum doesn't take days off. I'm sure Prince has a lot of stories about him that have yet to or never will become public. I don't blame him.

He's got all the tendencies of someone who has a huge yet delicate ego, a selective memory to accommodate it, and is possibly a bit sociopathic as a result.

This is perfectly said. And agreed that Prince seems to have taken the high road in all this, ultimately, just by mainly keeping his mouth shut.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived