Brewer Fanatic

Marcum signs 1-yr./$7.725M deal, avoiding arbitration

TooLiveBrew
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wonder if salary relief...

I hope they don't do it for salary relief alone. A trade to improve the team or at least to get something back for a guy that isn't going to be with the team next year would be preferable. I know they are above their preferred salary level, but I get the feeling it isn't a dire situation.

If we extend Greinke and if Narveson improves a tiny bit I'm not too worried about the future of the rotation. Gallardo, Greinke, Young guy, Narveson and then someone like Oswalt or Edwin Jackson etc as a free agent. Pitching isn't nearly as scarce as it was even a couple of years ago.

I do too, but the October was when it most counted and it was horrific. All I'm saying is that I'm hoping it was just an aberration, and not a sign of how effective he becomes late in the season with an extreme workload over 200 innings.
Have you seen the article/blog where Marcum's going to overhaul his delivery a bit? I guess he wasn't using his legs much, if at all. I'm curious to see if that helps with his velocity (overall) and stamina - especially late in the season.

Well not using his legs much would make sense, since it looked like he was trying to stretch out his hip-flexor-ailed hip in several different starts after his 'return' from the injury. And I'd have to guess leg strength & using the legs more in delivery can affect not only velocity & stamina, but movement & control as well.

Can you share what article you're referring to?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree with all of those comments, but I guess my thought was what if Peralta is pitching so well that he might be the better option over say Wolf in 2012 and be a substantial financial saving that might allow us to take on salary at the deadline in another manner.

I guess this is stemming from me thinking Peralta is going to put his incredible ground ball rate from 2 years ago, with his greatly improved K rate from last year, and really develop into a top of the rotation starter at some point this season. Not and ace, but actually giving the team a better chance to win then possibly Wolf, Narvy, or even Marcum if eh shows any signs of wearing down again.

That is when I wonder if taking the risk on the rookie could actually benefit the team in multiple ways. Most likely just wishful thinking, and we will allow him to pitch at AAA, make spot starts when needed and have him groomed for hopefully the 3rd spot in the rotation for 2013 behing Yo and ZG.

If we extend Greinke and if Narveson improves a tiny bit I'm not too worried about the future of the rotation. Gallardo, Greinke, Young guy, Narveson and then someone like Oswalt or Edwin Jackson etc as a free agent. Pitching isn't nearly as scarce as it was even a couple of years ago.

If we extend Greinke, I will issue a huge sigh of relief.

I guess my thought was what if Peralta is pitching so well that he might be the better option over say Wolf in 2012 and be a substantial financial saving that might allow us to take on salary at the deadline in another manner.

I look at it as risk management for this season. Even if Peralta were an upgrade over Wolf or Marcum, if the playoffs are on the line, Melvin would not want to take the risk of trading one of his pitchers to make room for Peralta, and then having another pitcher go down with an injury. We're better off for the playoff run this year if Peralta is kept in AAA to step in for when that injury occurs. I like your line of thought, as what we're doing this offseason may not be the best long-term strategy for the team, but since Melvin is in full on "go for it" mode, I don't see us selling unless we're in third place or worse come trade deadline.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I could see Peralta coming up late in the season as a reliever. While I could see the season going either way, there is an awful lot of talent on it to have no chance at the trade deadline. If anything, I could see Melvin overpaying with prospects to get another player if there is still a chance.
Formerly AKA Pete

Well not using his legs much would make sense, since it looked like he was trying to stretch out his hip-flexor-ailed hip in several different starts after his 'return' from the injury. And I'd have to guess leg strength & using the legs more in delivery can affect not only velocity & stamina, but movement & control as well.

Can you share what article you're referring to?

I believe he was referring to this article on JSonline, Rotoworld-Marcum

Sorry, that didn't work, I'm guessing because of JSonline's new pay-per views, but here is Rotoworld citing the JSonline blog about Marcum. Just go to "Marcum working on altering delivery" and click on the Milwaukee JS link at the bottom of Marcum's page. That should work.

Thanks Spidey. Here's Marcum's quote, for the lazy:

Since the season ended, Marcum has focused on strengthening his core and legs, with the ultimate goal to use the added strength to tweak his pitching motion. "I've been almost all arm, it seems like, the last couple years," Marcum said. "By doing that, having my legs a little bit stronger, that'll probably add a little bit more velocity. But at the same time I'll be able to get down the mound a little further, and by getting down the mound a little further you obviously release the ball closer to home plate."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived