Brewer Fanatic

Marcum signs 1-yr./$7.725M deal, avoiding arbitration

TooLiveBrew

I'm pretty shocked this still hasn't been posted here yet.

It turns out that Shaun Marcum’s arbitration hearing was scheduled for 1:30 p.m. CT today in St. Petersburg, Fla., and the parties were minutes away from presenting their cases when they agreed to settle at the midpoint of each sides’ salary request. That means Marcum will earn $7.725 million in 2012.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If there isn't a semi-updated topic on team payroll, it'd make sense to have one. http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Does anyone have updated steam salary for 2012. Didn't want to start a new topic.
I have $99.5M now for the 25 man roster. A couple notes this doesn't include performance bonuses, and it assumes Green & Izturis get the 24&25th spots which are up for grabs. Barring FA any signing those spots would likely go to somebody else making the league minimum so even if they don't make the team it is a wash. I wish I knew how to export excel in here I could show the out year obligations as well.

C Lucroy 0.45
1B Gamel 0.45
2B Weeks 11
3B Ramirez 6
SS Gonzalez 4.25
OF Hart 9.3
OF Braun 7
OF Morgan 2.35
BN Gomez 1.96
BN Kottaras 0.7
BN Green 0.45
BN Aoki 3.5 (Includes $2.5M posting fee + $1M salary)
BN Izturis 0.45
SP Grienke 13.5
SP Wolf 9.5
SP Gallardo 5.75
SP Marcum 7.725
SP Narveson 0.47
RP Loe 2.175
RP Axford 0.47
RP Braddock 0.45
RP Estrada 0.45
RP Parra 1.2
RP Rodriguez 8
RP Veras 2 (Brewers arbitration offer. Veras requested $2.375. case pending)
TOTAL 99.55

Thanks Polish.

A couple of tweaks, I think Braun and Weeks have some type of bonus paid this year which would push Braun to $8.5 (6 million base). Weeks makes $10 million base and receives a $2.5 million bonus in July. I got this info off of Cots Contracts, what a site!!

That adds $3 million to your numbers putting us at $103 million, last year opening day payroll was $83 million. You have to think we're very close to be maxed out. I would love to get Derrick Lee though.

GO BREW

Good move, but Marcum's nightmarish 14.90 postseason ERA makes me want to stay away from any long-term deal at this point.

Not saying I want to sign him long-term but I put more stock in his great April to mid-September (and overall career really) than his few postseason starts.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Good move, but Marcum's nightmarish 14.90 postseason ERA makes me want to stay away from any long-term deal at this point.

Not saying I want to sign him long-term but I put more stock in his great April to mid-September (and overall career really) than his few postseason starts.

I do too, but the October was when it most counted and it was horrific. All I'm saying is that I'm hoping it was just an aberration, and not a sign of how effective he becomes late in the season with an extreme workload over 200 innings.

As bad as Marcum was in the playoffs, he ran into some pretty potent lineups in Arizona and in St. Louis. He wasn't exactly sharp against Arizona in Game 3, but he only made one really awful pitch and it cost him 4 runs (Goldschmidt grand slam). Also keep in mind St. Louis was exceptionally hot and got the following off of the Phillies stud pitchers:

-3 runs in 8 IP off Halladay in Game 1

-5 runs in 6 IP off Lee in Game 2

-5 runs in 6 IP off Oswalt in Game 4.

Just some perspective.

This is the worst deal/move of the offseason, and still not that bad. They should have been able to argue against him receiving nearly a 4 million dollar raise after single-handedly losing games for the team during the most important period of the season and finishing with an ERA in the 4's counting the playoffs.

This is the worst deal/move of the offseason, and still not that bad. They should have been able to argue against him receiving nearly a 4 million dollar raise after single-handedly losing games for the team during the most important period of the season and finishing with an ERA in the 4's counting the playoffs.

I have to believe that the arbitrators have a much firmer grasp of small sample than anybody pointing at his postseason stats as a reason for going with the Brewers offer.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'd debate that, the Ramirez contract and signing takes that distinction.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I agree...but in the same respect, the goal is to win the World Series. If you fall off a cliff after 180 IP, you're not helping us achieve our goal.

I think the fact that he's had his arm cut open already and then ran out of gas in October should give the front office pause, and rightfully so.

I agree...but in the same respect, the goal is to win the World Series. If you fall off a cliff after 180 IP, you're not helping us achieve our goal.

I think the fact that he's had his arm cut open already and then ran out of gas in October should give the front office pause, and rightfully so.

Sure you are. You don't make the post season if he doesn't pitch well in the regular season.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Post season has nothing to do with abitration. You may not like it, but that's how it works.

Beyond that fact, if we had a Doug Davis type pitching all year, we probably don't make the playoffs. As a glass half full kind of guy, I say appreciate what Marcum did last year. I hope better in 2012, but he was a vital part of our success last year.

I'd debate that, the Ramirez contract and signing takes that distinction.

You're probably right, but I hope you're wrong. It's going to be pretty ugly if he's making $16MM in a couple of years and he can no longer play the field or hit well.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm mildly drunk, but I was watching the bucks game and I swear the ticker said he signed a two year sixteen million dollar deal. If true, that's great.

You're partially right. I was watching some of the postgame and the ticker at the bottom said they agreed to a two year contract for 8 million total not 8 million a year. I almost past out with joy, then realized that they were obviously wrong.

People really don't understand how good Davis was in his first stint with the Brewers.

While he was FA when the Brewers acquired him, he was a waiver claim by Tornto then a non tender, not even close to the same concept I'm talking about. His 2004 salary was something like $450,000... not the $4.25 million we paid him in 2010 to finally implode when his results finally came crashing down to his peripherals, specifically that horrible BB rate he sported most of his career.

Of course you knew exactly what I was referring to but chose to post anyway.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Does anyone have updated steam salary for 2012. Didn't want to start a new topic.
I have $99.5M now for the 25 man roster. A couple notes this doesn't include performance bonuses, and it assumes Green & Izturis get the 24&25th spots which are up for grabs. Barring FA any signing those spots would likely go to somebody else making the league minimum so even if they don't make the team it is a wash. I wish I knew how to export excel in here I could show the out year obligations as well.

C Lucroy 0.45
1B Gamel 0.45
2B Weeks 11
3B Ramirez 6
SS Gonzalez 4.25
OF Hart 9.3
OF Braun 7
OF Morgan 2.35
BN Gomez 1.96
BN Kottaras 0.7
BN Green 0.45
BN Aoki 3.5 (Includes $2.5M posting fee + $1M salary)
BN Izturis 0.45
SP Grienke 13.5
SP Wolf 9.5
SP Gallardo 5.75
SP Marcum 7.725
SP Narveson 0.47
RP Loe 2.175
RP Axford 0.47
RP Braddock 0.45
RP Estrada 0.45
RP Parra 1.2
RP Rodriguez 8
RP Veras 2 (Brewers arbitration offer. Veras requested $2.375. case pending)
TOTAL 99.55

I have Weeks at $10M, Hart $9M, Braun $6M + $2.5M (prorated bonus), Gallardo $5.5M.

If Peralta is tearing it up by June, I wonder if salary relief would give the Brewers the thought of seeing if they can move Wolf or Marcum in the last year of their deals to a team who has lost some SP to injuries...

I think that will all depend on how the season's going. Barring any extensions, if we start out slow then there's a good chance that we try to trade Greinke, Wolf and Marcum rather than losing them at the end of the season. If we're leading the division, then I highly doubt we'd trade away a good SP to replace him with a rookie. Peralta is good insurance in the minors, and will probably have to step in at some point this season to fill in for an injured starter.

I'm excited that we're going into a season in which we once again should compete for a Division title. However, you've hit upon my biggest worry beyond this year: how will we deal with potentially losing 3/5 of our starting rotation after the season. I'm still hopeful we'll extend Greinke. Beyond that, I hope we make the playoffs this year, but making the playoffs may mean a worse team in the future, as we will not have traded Wolf and Marcum for young talent, but rather will probably have traded some young talent for a better chance of winning this year. To me, that makes this a very pivotal season, as going for it could mean we're in for a couple of down seasons while we wait for our pitching to come around, while "selling" could mean we've given up on a promising year, but will be in better shape for playoff contention for the next few seasons.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived