Brewer Fanatic

Kotchman to Indians - 1 year / $3 million

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Not a bad buy for the Indians. 1 year / $3 million

http://www.mlbtraderumors...sign-casey-kotchman.html

I like Kotchman, but I'm not totally convinced last year's performance was going to be repeated. He was mediocre to bad from 2008-10.

I love his glove, but there's just not much upside as a hitter. Still, if the Brewers had not felt Gamel could do the job, this would have been a nice, reasonably cheap option.

As Haudricourt pointed out on twitter, this doesn't say much for Cleveland's view of LaPorta
I'd trade for LaPorta as the RH compliment to Mat Gamel and/or to be a potential replacement for Braun if he is suspended.

Anybody we have that Cleveland would want? Taylor Green for Matt LaPorta? Green immediately starts at 3B replacing Hannahan. Conrad becomes our backup at 2B and 3B. Might be worth investigating as A-Ram is probably entrenched for the next 3 seasons at 3B, Weeks is signed for another 4 and Gamel is going to be given the shot at 1B. I guess it would come to who you prefer to be the 1B if Gamel fails, LaPorta or Green.

As Haudricourt pointed out on twitter, this doesn't say much for Cleveland's view of LaPorta
I'd trade for LaPorta as the RH compliment to Mat Gamel and/or to be a potential replacement for Braun if he is suspended.

Anybody we have that Cleveland would want? Taylor Green for Matt LaPorta? Green immediately starts at 3B replacing Hannahan. Conrad becomes our backup at 2B and 3B. Might be worth investigating as A-Ram is probably entrenched for the next 3 seasons at 3B, Weeks is signed for another 4 and Gamel is going to be given the shot at 1B. I guess it would come to who you prefer to be the 1B if Gamel fails, LaPorta or Green.

I posted in this Rumors thread about this too. Why would you trade Green for LaPorta? Green is 2 years younger and has more service time remaining. He also plays more valuable positions in 3B/2B while LaPorta is bad defensive 1B/LF and we already have plenty of those in the organization. LaPorta's best year was his first and he has a .700 career OPS in 1000 PAs. I don't care about former top prospect status at this point. If that was the case, we should've picked up Brandon Wood last year.

edit: As for Green being "blocked," I think ARam and Weeks are bound to miss some time and he should be the first guy to step in. I've also said in the past that I believe Green should give ARam one day off a week and get another start at 3B every week with ARam at 1B. But I doubt the Brewers would think along those lines.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived