Brewer Fanatic

Mr. Jackson goes to Washington

Jackson isn't going to make much of a difference in that division. A one year deal virtually guarantees that he will be elsewhere next season. The guy goes through teams faster than I go through boxes of Kleenex.

What does it being a one year deal have to do with anything? He's signed for 2012, that's what the Nats wanted. I'm sure Jackson would much, much rather find a long-term contract instead.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Jackson isn't going to make much of a difference in that division. A one year deal virtually guarantees that he will be elsewhere next season. The guy goes through teams faster than I go through boxes of Kleenex.

What does it being a one year deal have to do with anything? He's signed for 2012, that's what the Nats wanted. I'm sure Jackson would much, much rather find a long-term contract instead.

I combined two different points. To be clear, I don't think that Jackson is good enough to vault the Nats into contention, though it may help them get to .500. He throws hard, but he's very hittable. Not a bad 4-ish starter and the Nats were smart to get him on only a one year deal. Maybe they are getting him in the hopes of flipping him at the deadline.

My second point is that Jackson is playing his way through baseball. I wonder when the tour will hit Milwaukee.

I combined two different points. To be clear, I don't think that Jackson is good enough to vault the Nats into contention, though it may help them get to .500. He throws hard, but he's very hittable. Not a bad 4-ish starter and the Nats were smart to get him on only a one year deal. Maybe they are getting him in the hopes of flipping him at the deadline.

My second point is that Jackson is playing his way through baseball. I wonder when the tour will hit Milwaukee.

Maybe I am higher than most on the Nationals but having a full season of Strasburg and Ryan Zimmerman AND bringing Gio Gonzalez as your #2 and Edwin Jackson as your #4 vaults them a lot higher than .500 in my opinion. This is a team ready to break out.

To be clear, I don't think that Jackson is good enough to vault the Nats into contention, though it may help them get to .500

Thanks for clarifying on my earlier question.

I think you may be thinking about the value Jackson could provide in the wrong context. Imo the only real thing that matters is summed up by your "Not a bad 4-ish starter and the Nats were smart to get him on only a one year deal." As WTP noted, the Nats don't need Jackson to be a pillar of their rebuild, but adding that really nice #4 SP could absolutely prove to be the difference between an extra win or two, to (theoretically) vault the Nats over another WC or NL East contender (I say NL East because you never know what can happen in a given season) & into the postseason.

However, I also think you're reading the picture well for the Nats, in that Jackson could well wind up getting flipped if the Nats are out of the race come July. The new CBA certainly dampens the type of return a flipping team like the Nats could expect on trading a guy like Jackson, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Jackson isn't an upgrade over what they already have. What he does add though is depth, which is something they really needed with all of those injury rehab guys. It won't surprise me if that team is in the wild card race, just need a few guys to step up and to stay healthy. Especially if they move to the 2 wild card system. I still think they are the 3rd or maybe even 4th best team in the division.

The Nats are playing with house money in 2012. They have zero pressure or lofty expectations, & absolutely have the talent to nab a WC spot if they're fortunate with injuries & other teams aren't.

Say what you will about the Nats, or the bad rep D.C. has in general... I just think it'd be cool to see a Washington D.C. MLB team in the postseason again. You have to go back to 1933 for the last time that's happened.

Say what you will about the Nats, or the bad rep D.C. has in general... I just think it'd be cool to see a Washington D.C. MLB team in the postseason again. You have to go back to 1933 for the last time that's happened.
Seconded. I live in D.C. and have been waiting for the Nats to become relevant. The town will absolutely support a winning team (just look to the Caps resurgence). If the Nats finally get their act together, they will become a serious big spender and contender.

I just don't see enough offense on that team. Zimmerman is a stud, but I'm not sure that you can count on Morse to replicate 2011.

I personally expect him to not only replicate 2011 but improve on it. I also expect Werth to rebound and help out some.

Archived