Brewer Fanatic

Deep Down, what are your thoughts about Gamel?

RobDeer 45

It would be unwise to bat anyone but Betancourt #8. How many times did that happen? Besides, Lucroy is a C. He has to bat #8. I can't wait for this lineup. I know it's coming.

Hart

Morgan

Weeks

Ramirez

Gonzalez

Aoki

Gamel

Lucroy

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sadly....If Braun is suspended I could see that being the opening day lineup. However I think Gamel is going to out produce everyone's expectations and hit right around a Mike Morse level and just improve next season. Hopefully the future of the lineup has Gamel, Braun, Weeks, Ramirez. Assuming Hart is eventually traded or leaves in FA

McCalvy's latest blog post has a mention of Gamel in the 6-8 spots, and also this:

I spent some time this morning talking to Mat Gamel for a story that will run tomorrow. When I asked him how much weight he’s lost compared to this time last year, he thought a moment and said, “A boat.” He’s down 25-30 pounds.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow, that is a good amount of weight. Is that from his playing weight last year or his end of the year weight? I thought he lost weight before the start of last year as well.

Bill James has Gamel projected at 342/476, that seems about right to me.

I would have guessed .350/.450 so that isn't to far off. That would be a pretty similar batting line to Weeks.

I guess 6th wouldn't be that bad but 8th would be horrible.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The note McCalvy posted says he asked Gamel "compared to this time last year", so I'd assume that wouldn't be compared to his (post-ST) playing weight last season. And he certainly never appeared 'soft' or overweight last season once I could watch on MiLB.tv (not that you get great close-up shots or anything, but still).

That is quite a bit of weight especially for a guy like you said, "never appeared 'soft' or overweight."

I have tried to steer clear of this tread as much as possible since the Gamel at 3B instead of McGehee thread last year. Yeah, I really like Gamel.

Yeah reading comprehension not so good at this time of the day.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like Mat a lot...maybe even love him. But I know deep down he's not the right one for me.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I thought Mat definitely appeared "soft" and even borderline overweight at Spring Training in mid-March last year. After seeing a few of the photos that he posted on his Twitter account the last few weeks, I can absolutely believe he has lost 20-plus pounds over the past year. I am actually incredibly encouraged that he may actually be in the proverbial "best shape of his life" coming into Spring.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I thought Mat definitely appeared "soft" and even borderline overweight at Spring Training in mid-March last year. After seeing a few of the photos that he posted on his Twitter account the last few weeks, I can absolutely believe he has lost 20-plus pounds over the past year. I am actually incredibly encouraged that he may actually be in the proverbial "best shape of his life" coming into Spring.

Your post got me curious, so I checked out his/their(his wife) Twitter account, & found this shot of Mat celebrating the New Year in style, with Manny Parra -- link (image is large enough I didn't want to post it here). Manny looks about 18 years old, I swear.

Also, Mat & family with Robbie Cano. Couldn't not link to that one :)

• 1 month later...

Bump... I'm curious to get thoughts on Gamel so far. One thing I recall being repeated about Gamel a lot over the past two or three seasons is that he had a big hole in his swing in on his hands. I never really agreed with that, & so far this season he's looked very good keeping his hands in & still driving the ball. I realize this post should come with the small sample alert disclaimer, but so far Gamel has hit about exactly as was projected by the posters who were in his corner heading into this season -- not massive power like Prince, but a really nice, short stroke with plenty of power.

Defensively, he's obviously a huge upgrade; we Brewers fans got used to some pretty putrid 1B defense over the past 6 seasons.

Other than his brain farts in the post game interviews, I like his defense and I like his speed.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I haven't seen too many games but his swing is terrific. If there's a hole I haven't seen it yet.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's still really early, but what I like so far is his hussle. He's running out grounders and stretching that extra inch on defensive putouts to first. He looks more motivated than in the past now that 1st base is all his. Hopefully he keeps it up.

I have enjoyed watching him hit so far this season. He has made solid contact on many of his at-bats, and his swing looks much smoother than I expected. Obviously there is the qualifier that we are only 6 games into the season, but it seems like Gamel has the potential to be an above average #6 hitter this season.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived