Brewer Fanatic

Deep Down, what are your thoughts about Gamel?

RobDeer 45
Dunder - Ya I know it's a bit silly but I was just curious what the vibe was out there on Gamel. I think most people are excited for him to be up and play on a regular basis. I was just curious if others were having some hesitations along with that because of some past talk about him not having a the greatest work ethic. Just something to discuss.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, hopefully he has matured a bit. Supposedly he's kept himself in great shape (yes, all athletes say this), and he played in winter ball this year as well. While he may be described as being "laid back", I don't think he's stupid, either. Gamel knows that his MLB career could well be on the line this season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Wow, we have a lot of time in the world these days. We have 62 pages of posts about if Braun has a cold sore.

Then we are going to disect every time Gamel came onto the field, way back to A ball, what expresssion he had on his face and what it means.

I just want to watch Mat play. I am thinking Overbay right now. But, honestly, the guy should get two years in the majors before he is released. His expression as he took batting practice in 2007? I dont care. Maybe he had a hemorrhoid.

Nobody is forcing you to read or post here. I think this is a great discussion as I found out I have a much different opinion than a lot of other posters on this topic.

I think he definitely has a lot of potential, but the comment describing him as backed into a corner with no room for error seems about right. I hope there are other story lines dominating if he starts out slowly. I remember him as having a hard time with up and in pitches. If I'm right, I wonder if he'll be seeing those from the get go.

Honestly, the bit of surfer dude in his voice makes me laugh. Despite that he handles questions pretty well. I listened to a WSSP interview and it was like two old school marms hectoring a middle schooler incessantly. He handled them like routine grounders.

Formerly AKA Pete

I am just thinking: let the guy play. I think the Front Office is actually down on him. And maybe they know many things we dont know. It is werid to me to have him under such and such a microscope. What is strange is I was so high on him (what does it matter that I am high on him) because of all the hype two years ago and before. Then suddenly, I honestly think the guy will be worse than Casey last year - because of all the anti-hype. So I am back to 'I want to watch him play'. All my opinions are based on what others have fed into me. So, to the point of the thread, I am really confused! I am very HIGH and LOW and DONT KNOW on Mat. It is a good thread. RobDeer was fine to ask. And, wow, a lot of opinions are sure there!

Just my opinion, but it's reasonable to assume Gamel can hit, based on his minor league numbers, so if the Brewers commit to him I think he'll be alright. I expect him to start off hot in April, by about mid May as pitchers round into mid season form, he'll probably struggle a bit. How he adjusts to that will be what I judge him by, but if the Brewers allow him to work through his struggles, I'm betting his numbers will be very respectable by the end of the season. Defensively, that's what I would concentrate on if I were Gamel. I think Roenicke (sp?) will let him work through any struggles he may have offensively, but if he proves to be brutal on defense, I think that would be far more reason to give up on him than any struggles with the bat. I like rooting for the little guys, so I will be pulling for him.

I just worry that Taylor Green will be lost.

I hope he's in AAA to start the season, as he will get no PA's if he's on the Milwaukee bench. If Green plays everyday in AAA, he can come up when/if either Ramirez or Weeks get injured, which unfortunately means he'll probably get a month+ as a regular starter in Milwaukee.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Gamel puts up Corey Hart-type numbers, I'd be happy. If that emerges, then the Brewers are in fine shape. I just worry that Taylor Green will be lost.

Why worry about someone who is a platoon player at best?

If Gamel puts up Corey Hart-type numbers, I'd be happy. If that emerges, then the Brewers are in fine shape. I just worry that Taylor Green will be lost.

Maybe clancy, like probably the substantial majority of people who have thought about Taylor Green, isn't as persuaded as you seem to be that Green "is a platoon player at best." Do you actually have a big pile of support for that very bold judgment -- which you appear to suggest is obviously true -- or are you just shooting down somebody else's opinion because yours is different? I'm not saying Green isn't a platoon player; but we're talking about a guy who won the system player of the year award, then hurt his wrist and struggled for quite a while, then came back and tore up AAA. I'm saying I don't know. How anybody could confidently predict what a player with that record would be able to do in MLB eludes me.

The one thing that worries me about Gamel is that he's coming up as a 1b. I agree with everybody who points out that he has hit consistently well in the minors, that his mediocre MLB totals mean next to nothing, and that he needs a chance to settle in and show his stuff. All of that said, I worry that his bat may not play as what we're hoping for: a six-year solution at 1b. If he hits like 2010-11 Corey Hart, then sure; that's not an All-Star at 1b, but it works. But if he OPSs under .800 as a 26 year-old -- which wouldn't be a terrible showing, in absolute terms -- then I think he'll have a hard time sticking. I'm really right at the margin of optimism and pessimism about him.

Maybe clancy, like probably the substantial majority of people who have thought about Taylor Green, isn't as persuaded as you seem to be that Green "is a platoon player at best." Do you actually have a big pile of support for that very bold judgment -- which you appear to suggest is obviously true -- or are you just shooting down somebody else's opinion because yours is different? I'm not saying Green isn't a platoon player; but we're talking about a guy who won the system player of the year award, then hurt his wrist and struggled for quite a while, then came back and tore up AAA. I'm saying I don't know. How anybody could confidently predict what a player with that record would be able to do in MLB eludes me.

When I look at Taylor Green, I see a left-handed hitter much like Jeff Cirillo. I see a long-term solution for third base who could provide a .290 average, 40 doubles, and 15 homers on a regular basis. I like his walk rate, I like the plate discipline, I think he could be the #2 hitter the Brewers are looking for.

When I look at Taylor Green, I see a left-handed hitter much like Jeff Cirillo. I see a long-term solution for third base who could provide a .290 average, 40 doubles, and 15 homers on a regular basis. I like his walk rate, I like the plate discipline, I think he could be the #2 hitter the Brewers are looking for.

Exactly how I feel. He won't be the typical 25-30 HR "power 3B" but he has solid gap power and he should get on base.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Exactly how I feel. He won't be the typical 25-30 HR "power 3B" but he has solid gap power and he should get on base.
Do those even exist anymore?

There were three 3B who hit more than 25 HR last year -- five if you count Miggy Cabrera and Bautista. Every time I look at the crop of current 3B in baseball, Green looks more and more valuable (and it makes me less angry with the Ramirez signing).

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Green doesn't defend well at third (his arm in particular looked suspect last season), & shouldn't be expected to be able to hit MLB lefties much at all. His value is completely overblown on the BF forums imho, & I actually really like him.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Like someone said before, Freddie Freeman's last year is what I hope and expect from Gamel. I don't think he's talented enough to avoid slumps like Braun, but I think he'll have his hot and cold stretches. And like most young players, the slumps will probably last longer than most of us would like. I would expect this year to be very streaky, and future years to start evening out. I'm comfortable with giving him the job this year and I hope they give him a long leash when he does struggle. I'm sure he'll get the occasional day off or two, but if they can let Mcgehee play through last year and still win the division they should give Gamel as much rope as possible. I hope he is our future at first, because we don't have anything much coming and free agency is tough to find a good 1B (without paying an arm and a leg).

I've worried about his mental toughness with everything that's come out about him over the years. But if he's going to be a major leaguer, this is his shot, and I don't think it will be a problem.

Green doesn't defend well at third (his arm in particular looked suspect last season), & shouldn't be expected to be able to hit MLB lefties much at all. His value is completely overblown on the BF forums imho, & I actually really like him.

Well the bar was set pretty low last year with McGehee. I think a lot of the Green hype was him bing able to play 2B but I don't think he is really an option there anymore.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Well the bar was set pretty low last year with McGehee. I think a lot of the Green hype was him bing able to play 2B but I don't think he is really an option there anymore.

Did Green do something to prove to anyone he can't play 2B? If so, I surely don't remember it. The only way I see him not being much of an option at 2B is if Weeks all of a sudden attains a Prince-like level of durability and the type of production that never benefits from a day off. . . . . I still think he's much more of a 3B than a 2B, but that's not the point that was brought up. I'd also think Green would take the opportunity for everyday PT wherever it might come defensively.

What you say makes sense to me MNBrew.

Also its not as if Aramis is Jed Clampett with his throws. Weeks still insists on doing his underhanded flip into the dugout. Why I don't know, but Bill Schroeder will tell us how hard he's working on that. Then Telly will tell us how hard he's working. Then Melvin the Magnificent will tell us how hard he works.

Formerly AKA Pete

I BELIEVE (Deion Sanders voice) in Mat Gamel.

He's got a smooth swing which he generates plus bat speed with anyways. He was pressing last season, having to make quite the impression to steal AB's from Braun and Prince. He hit .760 in his most extended opportunity in the bigs a few years ago. He's improved his #'s in the minors each year since. I think if Roenicke gives him the same leash a veteran would receive then he'll hit at least .800+. If he doesn't succeed here he'll likely do so elsewhere. It's RR and Doug's choice.

Wow, we have a lot of time in the world these days. We have 62 pages of posts about if Braun has a cold sore.

Then we are going to disect every time Gamel came onto the field, way back to A ball, what expresssion he had on his face and what it means.

I just want to watch Mat play. I am thinking Overbay right now. But, honestly, the guy should get two years in the majors before he is released. His expression as he took batting practice in 2007? I dont care. Maybe he had a hemorrhoid.

Nobody is forcing you to read or post here. I think this is a great discussion as I found out I have a much different opinion than a lot of other posters on this topic.

Yeah, and his opinion is that people are overly critical of Mat Gamel and have made judgements from a distance based on perceived body language that probably wouldn't be an issue if Money never said anything.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I definitely think there's more to it than just Money's comments last season, the organization has clearly had something intangible weighing down their overall valuation of Gamel. It's not realistic to think us fans can know what exactly it is, but I also don't think it's unfair to observe that the Brewers have had a problem with Gamel several times in the past.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I definitely think there's more to it than just Money's comments last season, the organization has clearly had something intangible weighing down their overall valuation of Gamel. It's not realistic to think us fans can know what exactly it is, but I also don't think it's unfair to observe that the Brewers have had a problem with Gamel several times in the past.

I don't have time to pull up the links right now, but I also seem to remember TH and Witrado taking seemingly innocent comments about Gamel and putting a heavy amount of their own spin on them. I got the impression Mat was a little unmedia savvy when he first came up and may have done something to upset the beat writers.

I think Mat was laid back, constantly got hurt in spring which was attributed to poor conditioning, and really never inspired much with his attitude.

That being said I have never heard a thing about being lazy in season, a bad clubhouse guy or anything like that. Sounds like he might have been a bit immature, blew some opportunities and now might be playing with past in is rear view mirror.

This is his last shot with the Brewers, he knows that. His attitude should be at its best in his career, and his talent is obviously there. Put those two together and I think he is going to surprise those who gave up on him after 180 PA or whatever he has had in the majors.

Archived