Brewer Fanatic

Deep Down, what are your thoughts about Gamel?

RobDeer 45
It's too bad for him that he didn't realize that stuff sooner. He might have been in the show the last few years playing 3B for the Crew.

I doubt it. The brewers were pretty enamored with McGehee.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The subject line of this thread cracks me up. First, "Deep Down" is capitalized, which I just find funny. Second, I feel like it's asking me to reveal some dark, secret, repressed feelings about Gamel that I was previously too embarrassed to share.

When they cut to the CF cam while he is hitting, I feel like his eyes are looking into my soul.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

It's too bad for him that he didn't realize that stuff sooner. He might have been in the show the last few years playing 3B for the Crew.

I doubt it. The brewers were pretty enamored with McGehee.

Well, we can't really know that thou.

Had Gamel "figured it out" sooner, maybe the Brewers don't pick up McGehee off the Cubs scrap heap.

The jury is still out on Gamel. He's certainly shown flashes but he needs to do it day in and day out. The next 6 weeks are pretty critical for him. If his OPS is still lingering under .700 and his power numbers continue very modest in mid June, there will be calls for the Brewers to scour the trade market, or move Hart to first and Aoki to RF.

The jury is still out on Gamel. He's certainly shown flashes but he needs to do it day in and day out. The next 6 weeks are pretty critical for him. If his OPS is still lingering under .700 and his power numbers continue very modest in mid June, there will be calls for the Brewers to scour the trade market, or move Hart to first and Aoki to RF.

Are they really "cries," when it's mainly one person?

If he is still playing the game the same way in 6 weeks, I think he'll be just fine. 10 days ago his OPS was .800. It's early. Stats fluctuate. Something I know you're aware of because you just dismissed a point citing an 11 game sample size to support your argument, except your argument was going the exact opposite way, ie, he only hit good for 11 games, so it was insignificant. So now Gamel's OPS drops over a 10 day period and that's the number you're going to cite?

So basically if a player has a great stretch, he doesn't get credit for it, if he has a bad stretch, particularly when he is a bit banged up with a sore shoulder, that does not merit consideration because.....I guess the only logical conclusion I can draw is that your opinions of a players stats changed based on preconceived notions of a player.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

What is gamel's babip? Seems he has stung a ton of outs. Including his first AB yesterday.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Had Gamel "figured it out" sooner, maybe the Brewers don't pick up McGehee off the Cubs scrap heap.

I doubt Gamel "figuring it out" really had anything to do with picking up McGehee. He was picked up after the 2008 season to be a backup infielder. Gamel had just finished a full season of AA. Unless you expected Gamel to move up as fast as Braun did there is no reason to expect him at 3B until the middle of 2009. The organization overestimated what they had in McGehee.

I blame Wang.

From McCalvy's MLB blog-

Manager Ron Roenicke expressed concern after the Brewers 2-0 loss to the Padres, speaking to reporters at the same time Gamel was being further examined.

Asked whether he feared the injury was significant, Roenicke said, “Yeah, I think so. I felt pretty good when he stayed in the game. He seemed to be strong. Any time a guy walks off after trying to swing, you’re going to be concerned about him. With the knee, there’s so many things that you can tweak. Whether it’s a slight tear or whatever the case may be, there’s a lot going on.”

From McCalvy's MLB blog-

Manager Ron Roenicke expressed concern after the Brewers 2-0 loss to the Padres, speaking to reporters at the same time Gamel was being further examined.

Asked whether he feared the injury was significant, Roenicke said, “Yeah, I think so. I felt pretty good when he stayed in the game. He seemed to be strong. Any time a guy walks off after trying to swing, you’re going to be concerned about him. With the knee, there’s so many things that you can tweak. Whether it’s a slight tear or whatever the case may be, there’s a lot going on.”

Why would you let him go back onto the field? Send him back to get an MRI. I put that on the training staff at least as much as Roenicke, but I can't understand how you would let him go back onto the field with possible knee damage.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

From McCalvy's MLB blog-

Why would you let him go back onto the field? Send him back to get an MRI. I put that on the training staff at least as much as Roenicke, but I can't understand how you would let him go back onto the field with possible knee damage.

Agreed. We all remember how that worked out for Yo when they let him continue to play a couple years ago.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Amazing isn't it? Fielder played 6 years at first base, virtually never missing a game, and within 10 days, Gamel bruises his shoulder and injures his knee and yes the Gallardo play immediately came to my mind as it was not all that dissimilar type of awkward landing.

While you have to love the effort on both plays, there's something to be said for living to fight another day. Hopefully, it's nothing serious.

While you have to love the effort on both plays, there's something to be said for living to fight another day.

This was my thought as soon as Gamel hit that wall last night. I just really hope he's not out for an extended period; that would be a pretty big blow.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Are they really "cries," when it's mainly one person?

If he is still playing the game the same way in 6 weeks, I think he'll be just fine. 10 days ago his OPS was .800. It's early. Stats fluctuate. Something I know you're aware of because you just dismissed a point citing an 11 game sample size to support your argument, except your argument was going the exact opposite way, ie, he only hit good for 11 games, so it was insignificant. So now Gamel's OPS drops over a 10 day period and that's the number you're going to cite?

So basically if a player has a great stretch, he doesn't get credit for it, if he has a bad stretch, particularly when he is a bit banged up with a sore shoulder, that does not merit consideration because.....I guess the only logical conclusion I can draw is that your opinions of a players stats changed based on preconceived notions of a player.

Just out of curiosity, why did you put "cries" in quotations? Briggs didn't say that.

• 8 months later...
deep down, i think that mat is going to seize an opportunity that's come his way. i know he had the same opportunity last year, but he's going to be healthy and hit lots of doubles off the wall for the crew. i'm talking overbay & a-ram doubles totals.

It's certainly now or never as far as he's concerned with the Brewers. With the way a lot of people are talking on talk radio, etc., Gamel stunk the joint up last year.... I actually thought he was pretty good with the bat, I checked his stats and they weren't as good as I expected them to be.... I think people are too reliant on that.

His stats were not all that great. It was a small sample though. I thought he looked pretty good at the plate and hit quite a few balls really hard that were right at guys. His BB rate was decent so if a few more balls fall in I think he looks a lot better. Tough luck season for him last year. Love his swing.

I blame Wang.

He was doing fine 'til he went 0-for-his-last-12, dropping his BA from the .270s to the .240s given he had so few ABs that early in the season. We have to remember that or we'll look at his stats and say, "Whoa, he wasn't very good."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Pressure is off to a large degree. Maybe that helps him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think he'll be adequate but nothing special. Remember he hasn't seen live pitching in a long time. That worries me some. Honestly, I not sure he's any better of an option than Ishikawa would have been.

It's good that he'll get lots of AB's early in the season. That should help him later on be a key guy off the bench. They have enough offense to survive the loss of Hart, but they can't afford another significant offensive loss in the meantime and that is what worries me.

I think he'll be adequate but nothing special. Remember he hasn't seen live pitching in a long time. That worries me some. Honestly, I not sure he's any better of an option than Ishikawa would have been.

It's good that he'll get lots of AB's early in the season. That should help him later on be a key guy off the bench. They have enough offense to survive the loss of Hart, but they can't afford another significant offensive loss in the meantime and that is what worries me.

I don't know. We have 4 capable outfielders and a decent backup catcher. I guess with another significant loss we'd be pretty thin, but unless that loss is Ryan Braun our offense should be good enough to absorb an injury here or there. Hart is one injury--but he certainly won't be out for the year, and may not be out more than a couple of weeks.

Archived