Brewer Fanatic

Deep Down, what are your thoughts about Gamel?

RobDeer 45

I've really had a hard time getting on the Gamel train for awhile now.  I think I either read some things about him in the past or heard some talk on here about him being lazy.  I don't know if it was legit or just people "thinking" he was, but it really tainted my opinion of him.  I'm hoping that now that he has a legit shot to be a contributor to this team that he will be working hard to be his best.  I was really excited about him in the past but somewhere along the line that changed.  I've tried not to judge but for some reason this has stuck with me.  I was curious what others really think of Gamel deep down.

I'm really pulling for him, but I'm cautious about getting excited.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was the first thing that popped in my head...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bkFIPLIOGL8/SEyVjMQe39I/AAAAAAAAOTI/GS9yXLejBsE/s400/Deep+Thoughts+logo.jpg

"A funny thing to do is, if you're out hiking and your friend gets

bitten by a poisonous snake, tell him you're going to go for help, then

go about ten feet and pretend that *you* got bit by a snake. Then start

an argument with him about who's going to go get help. A lot of guys

will start crying. That's why it makes you feel good when you tell them

it was just a joke."

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

In the back of my mind I feel Gamel gets benched, Hart becomes the everyday 1B, and Aoki takes over RF. For some reason this is what my gut is telling me ... I hope I am wrong. I wish Gamel the best and will cheer him on.

He isnt a lazy guy, he just has that really chill surfer type attitude. I think that is where the misconception comes from.

I have no doubt in my mind he wil not only be a servicable hitter but a very good hitter in our line up. He is a .300 quality bat who can drive in runs and hit for 20+ HR's. He is a pro hitter, and every full-time chance he has gotten, he has excelled at. No reason for me to not think he could be another Hart type bat.

However im in the minority on this one.

I am not enough of a scout or stats guy to predict how Mat Gamel will hit with regular playing time in the Major Leagues . . . but I am concerned about the character and work-ethic concerns that have reportedly been an issue in the past. I don't know all the details, but I am so used to Prince Fielder and his all-out dedication to do whatever it takes to be successful. I just hope Gamel realizes that the opportunity to be a starter in the big leagues is something that millions of kids around the world would dream of. He needs to go above and beyond what is needed to prepare himself and shed the negative labels that have been placed on him by coaches and media.

Frankly, this team really needs him to produce. I really hope he takes that responsibility and opportunity very seriously. We are counting on him.

I think people are letting an extremely small sample size the last two years cloud their judgment of Mat a little. The only time he was more than a pinch hitter he had an OPS of .760 and that was as a 23 year old in his first real taste of MLB pitching. That was a pretty solid first effort. I expect him to hover around .275 BA with an OPS around .800. Solid not spectacular. I am a little worried about his work ethic but hopefully he takes full advantage of the opportunity given to him

he seems like a Greg Brock-type to me. He'll be serviceable but not even close to even halving Prince's numbers. I hope I am wrong. I'm all for minor league numbers showing you the way to a point but I don't see it happening from him.

My nightmare is that he'll be Billy Joe Robidoux part two.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'm not worried at all about the work ethic stuff. Also, the guy has 171 major league AB, so acting like that tells us anything is just silly. That said, there are plenty of players that have good minor league careers who never makes it, so who knows. I hope he gets a real chance with the Brewers this year to sink or swing.

Unfortunately, I am in the "very worried about Mat Gamel" category and I think that the organization is too. I sincerely hope I am wrong, and have no reason to think that any past personal issues about his work ethic are clouding my judgment about future performance. I do however believe that if he was viewed highly by the organization, that they would have found some way to reward him with a September call up last year. I know that Prince was obviously in the way of him getting any playing time, but you'd think that even just the exposure to a pennant race in September would be a meaningful experience for a younger guy. I wouldn't be surprised if Melvin were doing all that he could behind the scenes to explore trade possibilities for Gamel right now with the intention of selling high. Perhaps there has been talk internally of signing a one year stop gap veteran ala Derek Lee to play first next year. Worst case scenario you could go with a good glove guy like Ishikawa or play Hart there with the Aoki addition. Again, definitely hoping that Gamel proves me completely wrong and busts out with a .330 BA and 30 bombs next year as our every day starting first baseman.

I don't know all the details, but I am so used to Prince Fielder and his all-out dedication to do whatever it takes to be successful.

Except on defense.

I think AKA augie 46 said it best so far. With young players, people (imo) should trust scouting reports much, much more than stats. Gamel's swing has always drawn high praise, he's going to hit. Just remember that once upon a time, Hardy, Weeks, & Hart were all to be DFA'd by (at the least) a very loud minority on this site, as they clearly couldn't hit MLB pitching.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He took a big step up last year even though nobody seemed to notice. I don't think he'll ever be anything amazing as a 1B but he won't be a big hole on the team this season either. Just look at his K rates in the majors and minors to understand where I'm coming from, he got it last year, it just didn't translate into the slash stats as much as you might expect.

If he is the 20th-best 1st baseman in baseball this year, that will exceed my expectations.

He's never shown the ability to hit in the majors, and though he's entering his peak, it may just be that a .740 OPS is the very best he's capable of.

I'm glad that they're going with him instead of Overbay/Derrek Lee/Carlos Pena. . .but I think he'll hit 7th most of the year and the absence of Prince will be glaring.

Deep down I think Gamel will prove all of his doubters wrong and make a big impact this season. I have faith in him, and I think he'll come through from the get go. He knows what's at stake, and he'll make it happen. No one in his way now, but himself.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I don't think there is any way in which he can succeed. I think he has been set up for failure by the organization. He's been up and down for so long but has never really been given a prolonged chance. It's been said that pinch hitting is one of the most difficult things to do in baseball. You sit on the bench all game and then are expected to come in in the 8th inning and face a guy throwing 92-95 miles an hour and then do it all over again the next game. Now when he finally has been given an opportunity there is no room for error.

I think he'll be a .250-.270 hitter but that won't be good enough. The first time he goes three games in a row without getting a hit he'll be benched.

Deep down? Call me crazy, but I'm feeling an all-star game appearance somewhere in his fist few years of regular action. (All it takes is a hot couple of months in the first half of a season, eh?) Or, at least some all-star buzz once or twice in the next handful of years ... maybe a snub in there instead of an appearance. Deep down, I have faith in Mat the Batt. Can't wait to see him in the lineup this year ... quick hands, pure stroke, good eye ... I'm expecting to be pleased. I can envision him as a long term solution and not just a temporary gap filler.

Deep down, I think the only thing standing in his way is consistent playing time, and it's not encouraging to hear that Hart might get his spot more than once a week. Deep down, I think that's a terrible idea, and I'm not too happy about it.

EDIT: Italics for emphasis is much less obnoxious than bold.

EDIT: Batt

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I think he'll be fine as long as he gets consistent PT and is given at least 300 regular AB to show what he's got. I doubt RR will give that to him.

Yea, my gut feeling is that if Gamel is given a chance to keep playing even if he initially struggles, he can be a non-washed up Overbay type of hitter. That said, my gut feeling also is that if he gets off to a slow start, Roenicke and Melvin will decide to start taking away regular at bats, especially if Braun is suspended and that very likely could end his career in Milwaukee.

Gamel is going to have major pressure on him to not have a bad month of April because i see little chance that Roenicke/Melvin will give Matt the opportunity to work his way out of it, regardless if other guys also are struggling that will be afforded a vastly longer leash.

I keep having the same thought every time I read a thread about Gamel... where are do all of these reports about his "personal issues", work ethic and character keep coming from? I remember a couple of articles where Brewers brass indicated that they didn't feel that he was mentally ready for the big leagues, but I don't remember ever reading specifics from coaches, teammates or organization reps that really indicated a major character flaw that would prevent him from being successful at first base. I feel like the fan base read between the lines of a few comments and has really blown things out of proportion. Just seems like the echo chamber might be dooming a guy with talent before he ever gets a serious chance.

Ironically enough one of the better comparisons, is none other than Cecil Fielder. Prince's dad was blocked for a number of years, got minimal playing time, but hit fairly well especially for the late 80's. So the post Japan surge is actually a mirage in his case. Gamel would have gotten a real shot last year for certain (if not blocked by Prince), if not the year before that on a different team. I think he hits just fine, not quite the 50 HR level but near the top of the non-elite 1st basemen level.

Archived