Brewer Fanatic

minor league deal for of corey patterson

djoctagone

I guess if you can add a replacement level player in the minors it's a marginal positive. We are a little saturated in the 'mediocre lefty outfielder' department though.

Is the AAA outfield going to be Shafer Gindl Patterson?

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

If we see him play much it means most of the following has happened:

Braun is suspended

Aoki is a bust

Shafer/Gindl haven't shown much

Morgan's production fell off

Gamel is struggling and Hart has to take his place at 1B

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

"Patterson is excellent for AAA depth. I'm sure he just wanted to play 5-6 days a week. Probably enjoyed his time with the team in '09."

Or maybe he knows we have decision makers that will overrate a potential "hot" spring, overvalue his veteranness, and give him some run in left with the big club if Braun gets suspended and Aoki has a "cold" spring. Sounds like as good a chance as a guy like him could get at this point.

"Patterson is excellent for AAA depth. I'm sure he just wanted to play 5-6 days a week. Probably enjoyed his time with the team in '09."

Or maybe he knows we have decision makers that will overrate a potential "hot" spring, overvalue his veteranness, and give him some run in left with the big club if Braun gets suspended and Aoki has a "cold" spring. Sounds like as good a chance as a guy like him could get at this point.
Jeremy Reed, part 2?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Jeremy Reed, part 2?

Well played, sir!

But given that he doesn't have an invite to camp, probably not. Normally, I don't care who they bring in on minor league deals with an invite to camp, but I really don't want CP seeing our major league outfield. So I'm glad he didn't get the invite.

I suppose we have a hole in our AAA outfield that needed a filler, but I'm worried that he gets a chance prior to Gindl or Schafer...

curious if he has an opt-out clause.

That crossed my mind also. A 50 game opt-out clause to be specific. http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/wink.gif

And since no one else did it, here is the link: http://www.jsonline.com/s...l-8m40eat-138376124.html

Corey Patterson was always on my list of players that I hoped to NEVER see in a Brewers uniform. That was dashed in 2009 but that doesn't change my opinion of him or my desire to NOT have him in a Brewers uniform.

I hope he never seens any big league time. As others have stated, that means a lot of things went south.

Corey Patterson was always on my list of players that I hoped to NEVER see in a Brewers uniform. That was dashed in 2009 but that doesn't change my opinion of him or my desire to NOT have him in a Brewers uniform.

I hope he never seens any big league time. As others have stated, that means a lot of things went south.

My two favorite baseball teams have been the Orioles and Brewers since I was a kid. Corey Patterson keeps popping up on one team or the other every other year. In 2006 with Baltimore he was all right for a CF'er. Otherwise I too see him on a 25 man roster as a sign that something has gone wrong with the team.

I'd rather see a younger career minor leaguer get a chance as the last guy on the bench of a major league team.

Probably not a bad thing to get a veteran presence in AAA to mentor Schafer & Gindl. It doesn't sound like he'll even be in big league camp, so Roenicke won't be able to use a "hot spring" to justify giving him a roster spot. I know that's supposed to be on Melvin, but it seems he lets the manager choose who his bench players will be.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Probably not a bad thing to get a veteran presence in AAA to mentor Schafer & Gindl.

This was what came to mind for me as well. And if not actively mentor the younger players on the team, Patterson is at least someone a young guy could approach to ask any question(s) he may have. Patterson's been through quite a bit as a baseball professional, from top prospect to lightning rod of fan frustration in MLB. I'm sure he's experienced just about any (not too crazy) adverse situation a pro ballplayer could encounter.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How did Corey not get a Spring Training invite from any club? I will be very shocked if Corey doesn't wind up with the big club in Spring Training and is one of the guys Ron and Doug consider for a 25-man roster spot, Braun suspension or not. We've seen how this will play out before Edmonds, Kapler, Reed, Kotsay, Duffy...

Am I remembering correctly - didn't Melvin give his "I don't want to discuss that at this time" when they signed Aoki and he was asked about a trade? I interpret that as he's working on moving someone. I wish it was Morgan but my guess is it would be inventory item Gindl. Regardless, in a year when he's going to compete he said he doesn't want to use young players and C-Pat is a veteran and first man up in an emergency.
Formerly AKA Pete

We've seen how this will play out before Edmonds, Kapler, Reed, Kotsay, Duffy...

Every single guy you listed there got an NRI, except for Kotsay, who got a guaranteed MLB deal (my rage there transcends words or language).

We've seen how this will play out before Edmonds, Kapler, Reed, Kotsay, Duffy...

Every single guy you listed there got an NRI, except for Kotsay, who got a guaranteed MLB deal (my rage there transcends words or language).

Just because he doesn't have an invite now doesn't mean he won't get one later. I'm sure he'll be in camp before minor leaguers report and get in some games and then get an invite because of the veteraness he shows.

Is that possible (getting a MLB ST-camp invitation during ST)? I honestly don't know.

Overall, I guess I just can't bring myself to get too worried about Patterson. If Melvin shatters my faith in him on this one, I won't have much left. http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smile.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I know they generally bring minor leaguers over for double headers and such, but generally they are returned. Can't remember anyone that actually stayed.

If CP didn't get an NRI at first, they won't give him one unless some injury occurs. I'm not too worried about it.

Still, I would have preferred an OFer with a bit more pop to backup the corners. We already have Morgan, Gomez, and Schafer for CF. His bat compares to a left handed Gomez, which isn't good. Don't know how his defense would be in CF (I'm guessing Gindl might be better). And he doesn't have the bat to carry left or right... so why???

Far too much is being made about who broke camp with the team. Sometimes you end up with a reserve like Almonte or Reed due to a variety of factors; injuries, major league time issues, options issues, and so on. You rarely have your best team at the end of March, the goal is to assemble that team in late September.

The irony is, they signed Patterson to play LF in AAA, and he likely has Schafer and Gindl in front of him...though I could imagine them wanting to let Logan and Caleb play every day and allow Corey to get 2-4 PA's a week. Corey has a .290/.400ish career line, and I'd probably project Aoki around .330/.370...the difference is negligible.

Corey has been in the major leagues for much of the past decade for a reason, he's about 40 OBP points away from being a very solid backup OF, even a passable starter in CF. If he gets 200 PA's, that means he'll get on base 8 fewer times a year...once every three weeks or so. He has warts, that's why he's not a starter, or at least a platoon guy. For AAA depth, he's superb, and he'll likely dominate that level. Pretending a guy who spent last season in TOR/SL is somehow so terrible he shouldn't be a AAA option is just not understanding the game. The difference between a solid AAA player and a normal reserve is opportunity and minute details (a step faster, able to play more than one spot, being a former high draft pick).

Archived