Brewer Fanatic

2012 Opening Day starting pitcher?

MVP2110

Barring an injury, there is no way Gallardo doesn't start Opening Day. He is the Ace of this team.
I agree with this. Especially considering Gallardo has the longer track record with the team and started Opening Day last season. I'd think it would almost be a news story if he weren't the starter this season.

Gun to my head, I'd guess Greinke will have the better season. The wacky gap between his peripherals and standard numbers can't possibly last another season. Plus, the bad defense hurt him quite a bit, and it will be better this season.

I'm sure they'll just start Gallardo though, based on team seniority more than anything else. It doesn't really matter who starts that game.

Do we open on the road (like usual)? If so, it probably doesn't matter. Getting the home opener is about as prestigious as getting the season opener.

we open up at home against the cards

i never get too excited on who the opening day starter is. we have 3 pitchers that you could make a case to do it which most teams can't say, that being said its got to go to yo

Do we open on the road (like usual)? If so, it probably doesn't matter. Getting the home opener is about as prestigious as getting the season opener.

i never get too excited on who the opening day starter is. we have 3 pitchers that you could make a case to do it which most teams can't say, that being said its got to go to yo

I think there are only 2, and to me there is only 1. Gallardo.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

marcum was our best starter for 5 months last year, i know he struggled in september and the playoffs but you can't just forget about april - august

Gun to my head, I'd guess Greinke will have the better season. The wacky gap between his peripherals and standard numbers can't possibly last another season. Plus, the bad defense hurt him quite a bit, and it will be better this season.

I'm sure they'll just start Gallardo though, based on team seniority more than anything else. It doesn't really matter who starts that game.

Agree with every word of this.

Not only is Yo our best starting pitcher, but you definitely reward your best starting postseason pitcher. And a quick glance at last years postseason ...

RK
Player

ERAâ–²

AVGâ–²

WHIPâ–²

1 Hawkins, L 0 0.167 1.5
1 Saito, T 0 0.174 0.57
3 Axford, J 1.29 0.192 1
4 Rodriguez, F 1.8 0.263 1.8
5 Gallardo, Y 2.84 0.254 1.37
6 Estrada, M 6 0.28 1.5
7 Greinke, Z 6.48 0.311 1.62
8 Wolf, R 8.1 0.318 1.8
9 Loe, K 8.31 0.542 3.23
10 Narveson, C 11.05 0.233 1.23
11 Marcum, S 14.9 0.395 2.28

Yo wins hands down

marcum was our best starter for 5 months last year, i know he struggled in september and the playoffs but you can't just forget about april - august

He was good and everything, but if you are going to go with the incumbent, it's Gallardo. Most productive, Gallardo wins every category. Best postseason, Gallardo wins. Best projected 2012 you might pick Greinke in that category (I wouldn't personally). Even if you want to go with most experience, you go with Wolf. There just isn't a single category that Marcum wins in this discussion.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Not only is Yo our best starting pitcher, but you definitely reward your best starting postseason pitcher. And a quick glance at last years postseason ...

RK
Player

ERAâ–²

AVGâ–²

WHIPâ–²

1 Hawkins, L 0 0.167 1.5
1 Saito, T 0 0.174 0.57
3 Axford, J 1.29 0.192 1
4 Rodriguez, F 1.8 0.263 1.8
5 Gallardo, Y 2.84 0.254 1.37
6 Estrada, M 6 0.28 1.5
7 Greinke, Z 6.48 0.311 1.62
8 Wolf, R 8.1 0.318 1.8
9 Loe, K 8.31 0.542 3.23
10 Narveson, C 11.05 0.233 1.23
11 Marcum, S 14.9 0.395 2.28

Yo wins hands down

Man that is painful to look at.

I love the fact that it isnt just a given Ben Sheets (because he was our only good pitcher) or that a guy like Jeff Suppan, Jamey Wright or Doug Davis are getting the start. We have 2 solid options and a 3rd and 4th that probably could have started most of the openers in the mid to late 90's!

I think Greinke is our best starting pitcher but I'd start Gallardo. Keep the pressure off of Greinke and go with the home town guy.

Those post season stats are painful but I will give them a slight pass since the strike zone was so absolutely silly, when you can't throw anything inside and get it called a strike it is pretty hard to succeed which is why the NL pitching in general stunk in the playoffs.

Its Yo. April 6th can not come fast enough. That series is going to be insane in my opinion. No Prince and no Albert. Who improved more Ramirez, Gonzo, Gamel or Beltran, Furcal. Potential pitching match ups of Yo vs Carp, Grienke vs Wainwright, Marcum vs Oswalt?

Gallardo has proven to be our best big game pitcher and opening day at MP versus your biggest division rival and the team that ousted you in the Champ round? That is a very big game.

Archived