Brewer Fanatic

2012 NL Central: Contenders Comparison

TooLiveBrew

No way is Greinke the 5th or 6th best starter among these three teams. In fact, ZiPS has Greinke as best:

Name ERA IP

Greinke 2.98 199

Wainwright 3.12 173

Latos 3.38 192
Gallardo 3.46 195

Carpenter 3.49 201

Marcum 3.51 151

Garcia 3.58 184

Cueto 3.63 173

These numbers are obviously not gospel but I think people are once again undervaluing Greinke and overvaluing Gallardo.

http://www.baseballthinkf...jections_cincinnati_reds

http://www.baseballthinkf...tions_milwaukee_brewers/

http://www.baseballthinkf...ns_-_st._louis_cardinals

CIN WAR ZiPs MIL WAR ZiPs STL WAR ZiPs
SP1 Cueto 4.3 110 Gallardo 2.7 117 Wainwright 5.9 121
SP2 Latos 2.6 119 Greinke 1.7 136 Carpenter 3.7 108
SP3 Arroyo -0.5 83 Marcum 3.3 115 Lohse 2.6 86
SP4 Bailey 0.7 94 Wolf 3.1 100 Garcia 0.9 105
SP5 Leake 2.1 91 Narveson 0.9 94 Westbrook 0 83
9.2 99.4 11.7 112 13.1 101
CL Madson 2.2 132 Axford 2.7 132 Motte 1.4 120
SU Chapman 0.6 104 Rodriguez 1.1 125 Salas 2.3 117
2.8 118 3.8 129 3.7 119
C Hanigan 1.8 92 Lucroy 1.2 85 Molina 3.9 101
1B Votto 6.5 148 Gamel -0.5 107 Berkman 5.2 132
2B Phillips 4.1 104 Weeks 3 116 Schumaker 0.6 86
3B Rolen 0.6 100 Ramirez 3.6 117 Freese 1.8 98
SS Cozart 0.7 86 Gonzalez 1.1 81 Furcal 1.4 96
LF Heisey 1.5 102 Braun 7.7 135 Holliday 4.1 132
CF Stubbs 2.9 88 Morgan 2 83 Beltran 3.4 126
RF Bruce 1.2 116 Hart 4 116 Craig 1.9 112
19.3 105 22.1 105 22.3 110
ZiPs is ERA+ or OPS+. WAR numbers are from last year, except for Wainwright.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It probably all comes down to staying healthy. The team that stays healthy will win it.

I worry more about the Reds than the Cardinals. The Cards have too many key players who are dangerously old or have significant injury history. Wainwright (coming of Tommy John), Carpenter (age), Berkman (age), Furcal (injuries), Beltran (age). Even Holiday is showing signs of age.

The Crew have Braun's suspension issue, plus the typical Weeks injury worries. Ramirez is getting old.

The Reds have some injury concerns, plus age with Rolen.

As I said to start, the team that stays healthy will win it.

Should be an exciting year.

No way is Greinke the 5th or 6th best starter among these three teams.

Where did anyone say anything about this?

Well if he is the 2nd best #2 out of the 3 teams it suggests that the #1's are all better than him and at least one #2 which makes him 5th best. I still think the biggest fault with this is Phillips not being the top 2B, he has just been better than Weeks over the past few seasons especially when you count durability.

All I did was use the depth charts on the teams' websites. I think people are reading too much into this.

I still think the biggest fault with this is Phillips not being the top 2B, he has just been better than Weeks over the past few seasons especially when you count durability.

Well feel free to do your own, I said right off the bat this was a very informal thing.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sure it is subjective, it just seems odd because in this case it is so over the top clear cut.

Phillips WAR for the past 5 seasons.... 6.0, 4.4, 3.3, 3.3, 5.1. .784 OPS, very good defense.

Weeks WAR for the past 5 seasons.... 3.7, 6.5, 1.4, 2.6, 3.4. .805 OPS, giving him the benefit of the doubt we'll call it average defense.

Phillips has a better WAR over the past season, past 2 seasons, past 3 seasons, past 4 seasons and past 5 seasons. If you match it up by best season to worst season WAR Weeks loses almost every matchup as well.

At best if both healthy I'd think they are a wash but Weeks has so much more of an injury history this should be clear cut. Most of it I can just think to myself I disagree but it is close enough that I can just chalk it up to being subjective, 2B is just clear cut Phillips to me.

Yes. My guess for next season is that Weeks stays healthy & outperforms Phillips. Maybe I'll be wrong. But it's not that big of a deal. Honestly please do one yourself, I'd love to see lots of other people's takes.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

CBS Sportsline has a power rankings out today. They have the Brewers behind the Kansas City Royals. The Brewers are 18th! Ouch. Here is their snip it on the Brewers.

Good business:[/b] Aramis Ramirez doesn't help the righty/lefty balance, but he remains a credible middle-of-the-order bat. Bad business:[/b] Replacing Yuniesky Betancourt with Alex Gonzalez is like replacing a gently stewed diaper with a decaying ferret. Shortstop may not be the easiest position to fill nowadays, but come on. Prognosis as of 11:14 a.m. GMT on Jan. 26, 2012:[/b] It would be a lot rosier if undercover Cardinals operatives didn't frame teetotaling family man Ryan Braun by slipping all that synthetic testosterone into his soup.

I can do without the comments, but as far as the rankings go, It's about where I think the Crew is this year. Maybe 3 spots higher.

Yes. My guess for next season is that Weeks stays healthy & outperforms Phillips. Maybe I'll be wrong. But it's not that big of a deal. Honestly please do one yourself, I'd love to see lots of other people's takes.
I agree with almost everything so don't need to do one http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smile.gif. I'll take Greinke over Latos and Phillips over Weeks, rest of it I agree with and don't see where anyone can disagree outside of the Braun vs Holiday area. most of it is a complete no brainer.

Archived