Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training 2012

Barrelman19

I am going down to Arizona for the last week of March to catch some ST games. Does anyone know if the Brewers "regulars" have any kind of workout or practice the day of the game? And if so are these usually in the stadium or on the practice fields?

Trying to maximize my autograph opportunities.

I haven't been since '05, so my info may be dated. I saw many of the regulars swinging in the cage, but they weren't too accessible. I didn't try to hit the practice fields. I was able to get everyone I wanted before the game. I would arrive early to get seats right on the 1B line, and everyone stopped and signed pretty well. Most would chat and pose for photos too. Wes Helms was pretty chatty, Bill Hall wasn't bad, Prince was really nice...and I think I startled Enrique Cruz when I asked him for an auto by name (and in Spanish). Not sure anyone else there knew he was. Of course, all those guys are gone now...

The workouts and practices start around 9, and they're on the main field. There's cages you can get to from the outside too, just east of the main doors. The best luck I had (outside of pre/during/and postgame) was out in front right after the workouts. Players usually come out right by the front gates and head to their cars. Mostly in uniform too, so it makes for good pictures.

I haven't bothered with the practices and workouts in recent years - it's still super easy to get them an hour before, during, and after the games. I live here though so I'll be there all month - that might change my perspective.

The other practice fields south of the main park are full of the whole minor league system and super accessible. Once in a while one or two of the big leaguers will be around there, but it's not the norm. I saw Looper get drilled in the head by a comebacker a couple years ago.. but it's mostly minors unless someone needs some throws or swings. Great area for autographs though, and fun to hang around and watch. (4 fields, and 8 or so pitching areas) Doug Melvin is also trotting around often also.

The workouts and practices start around 9, and they're on the main field. There's cages you can get to from the outside too, just east of the main doors. The best luck I had (outside of pre/during/and postgame) was out in front right after the workouts. Players usually come out right by the front gates and head to their cars. Mostly in uniform too, so it makes for good pictures.

I haven't bothered with the practices and workouts in recent years - it's still super easy to get them an hour before, during, and after the games. I live here though so I'll be there all month - that might change my perspective.

The other practice fields south of the main park are full of the whole minor league system and super accessible. Once in a while one or two of the big leaguers will be around there, but it's not the norm. I saw Looper get drilled in the head by a comebacker a couple years ago.. but it's mostly minors unless someone needs some throws or swings. Great area for autographs though, and fun to hang around and watch. (4 fields, and 8 or so pitching areas) Doug Melvin is also trotting around often also.

When you say after the game, do you mean inside the stadium?

Archived