Brewer Fanatic

MiLB Preseason Predictions

CheezWizHed
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ok, the off season is pretty much done. Time to turn attention to spring training, so lets make some predictions!

Player of the Year: Non-pitchers that has the best season (not ceiling, but production), but has to be in the minors.

Pitcher of the Year: Non-Non-pitchers for the same.

New-Comer Biggest splash: Doesn't matter if they played last year or not. Who makes the most noise among last years draft (and FA signings if you like...).

Most Improved Player - That guy that suddenly turned potential into production

Here are my choices:

Player OTY: Logan Schafer - Gindl and he are both blocked at AAA for the time being. I have a good feeling for Gennett at AA also, but Huntsville seems like a harder place to put up big offensive numbers. But unless Green or Gamel get stuck at AAA for some reason, I'd bet money on one of those three...

Pitcher OTY: Thornburg - Peralta won't stay at AAA this year. Bradely and Jungmann also in contention. Much better competition up and down the minors for this one than the player OTY.

NCBS: Bradley - Toss up between him and Jungmann.

MIP: Kentrail Davis - I just have a gut feeling the guy doesn't like Brevard and the one everyone thought we drafted will show up at Huntsville. I'm expecting Bucci and Garfield to take big steps also.

Player of the Year: Scooter Gennett - Let the when do we trade Weeks talk begin

Pitcher of the Year: Nic Bucci - He comes into his own and dominates AA in his 5th pro season before he turns 22 in July.

New-Comer Biggest Splash: Jed Bradley - Will pitch at 3 different levels

Most Improved Player: Sean Halton - Will finally figure out how to get some lift on all those line drives against AAA pitching and will have people asking: "Where'd he come from"? after a 20 HR, .300 BA in Nashville.

I'd also like to look at the guys who'll probably spend all of 2012 at the affiliates below low-A ball. I guess it'd be a preseason all-rookie-ball team:

C Dustin Houle
1B Sthervin Matos
2B Orlando Arcia
3B Jalen Harris
SS Chris McFarland
OF Ruben Ozuna
OF Michael Reed
OF Dionis Hinojosa

P Osmel Perez
P Gian Rizzo
P Joel Dicent
P Jorge Lopez
P Danny Keller

With the caveat that I'm only guessing on placements... my uninformed list of players to watch at the higher levels:

Low-A: P Drew Gagnon, P David Goforth, C Tyler Roberts, 1B Nick Ramirez, SS Yadiel Rivera, OF Max Walla

High-A: P Taylor Jungmann, P Jed Bradley, P Jimmy Nelson, C Cameron Garfield

AA: P Nick Bucci, P Tyler Thornburg, P Kyle Heckathorn, 1B Hunter Morris, 2B Scooter Gennett, OF D'Vontrey Richardson, OF Kentrail Davis

AAA: P Wily Peralta, P Cody Scarpetta, P Mike Fiers, P Santo Manzanillo, P Mark Rogers (?), C Martin Maldonado (defense), OF Logan Schafer, OF Caleb Gindl

EDIT: added Matos as the first baseman for the all-rookie team. The lack of power bats in the system is troubling, to say the least.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

- Player OTY: Taylor Green - I think they play him everyday at AAA
- Pitcher OTY: Tyler Thornburg (Would love for this to be a healthy mark Rogers!)
- New-comer: Jed Bradley - He's got to be the favorite out of the clubhouse
- Most improved: D'Vo - Loved TLB's Walla prediction.

TLB, why Arcia at 2nd base? I'm pretty sure I saw that Colby has stated that McFarland will probably have to move off of SS long term. I know you're one of the bigger Arcia backers out there, so this just surprised me. (Not trying to pick a fight, just curious.)

TLB, why Arcia at 2nd base? I'm pretty sure I saw that Colby has stated that McFarland will probably have to move off of SS long term. I know you're one of the bigger Arcia backers out there, so this just surprised me.

Heh, why 2nd? Because I'm ill-informed then http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smile.gif Given the high regard many have for McFarland, I just assumed he'd be the higher-profile SS prospect. I do know Arcia's defense draws a lot of praise, so either way it's not too bad to have both guys. I actually almost typed them both up as 2B/SS, but didn't bother.

Honestly, I don't think of myself as a big Arcia backer. I like him, but I don't think I like him as much as some do (right now). I did do a fair amount of the DSL link report games last season, so maybe I just mentioned his exploits enough.

And funny you commented on Walla... I had D'Vo written in there & ultimately changed my mind before posting. He's a good pick, too. Walla's still a young guy, but he didn't light up any stat lines from day one, and in this era of internet-augmented prospect coverage, you have to show good stats before you earn any acclaim. Iirc Ned Yost III had some nice things to say last season about Walla maturing & learning how to be a pro ballplayer, & that his improved stats were a byproduct of him just growing as a player & a person. So yeah you could say I have high hopes for him. http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smile.gif

I'm really looking forward to the Timber Rattlers this season. It'll be about totally opposite from last season; there should be several good players to watch, & there'll be good talent in Appleton all season long.

Player OTY: Caleb Gindl

Pitcher OTY: Kyle Heckathorn (I think he will figure everything out this year and become a dominant pitcher in the minors)
NCBS: Nick Ramirez (I think he is going to mash the ball and that is probably about it)
MIP: D'Vontrey Richardson (OK a stretch here yeah I know he had a rather OK season last year but I think again like Heckathorn this is the year Richardson puts everything together and shines)

What I am really excited about is are the Brewers going to be aggressive with Arcia and if they are will he be in rookie ball or will they put him in low A? Also Yadiel Rivera is another question mark as I think he could be placed in low A ahead of Arcia. I am also hoping Cameron Garfield will be healthy this year and he can show some promise. He might have to be moved off of catcher with that knee injury he suffered. I am not 100% on that but I believe his bat could improve where he could play 1B or a corner OF spot.

What I am really excited about is are the Brewers going to be aggressive with Arcia and if they are will he be in rookie ball or will they put him in low A?
Arcia was 16 last year. I think there's a nearly zero chance that he plays in Wisconsin as a 17 year-old. I wouldn't be surprised if they have him repeat in the Dominican rather than even bring him to the States this year. A lot of that depends on how mature a youngster is and if they feel he can make the cultural transition, rather than how well he plays. Most of us have little idea about that stuff. So I'd say just playing in Arizona with a chance at a promotion to Helena would count as an aggressive promotion.

What I am really excited about is are the Brewers going to be aggressive with Arcia and if they are will he be in rookie ball or will they put him in low A?
Arcia was 16 last year. I think there's a nearly zero chance that he plays in Wisconsin as a 17 year-old. I wouldn't be surprised if they have him repeat in the Dominican rather than even bring him to the States this year. A lot of that depends on how mature a youngster is and if they feel he can make the cultural transition, rather than how well he plays. Most of us have little idea about that stuff. So I'd say just playing in Arizona with a chance at a promotion to Helena would count as an aggressive promotion.
But his name really could be something like Carlos Ramirez and he could really be 20. Not sure if that should be in blue or not.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I'll guess they do move Rizzo to Maryvale, but only because he did very well in the DSL last season at a young age. They moved Jeffrey Saba stateside last year in his age-19 season, but Rizzo '11 was > Saba '10. Joel Dicent will be 20 next season, Rizzo 18. Only two pitchers for last year's AZL team were in their age-18 seasons, and one of those was 2nd rounder Jorge Lopez. So Dicent seems like a good bet to start in the AZL to me, with Rizzo a bit of a tossup.

You could see some really good young arms in Maryvale this coming season. Along with Saba, Dicent, & perhaps Rizzo, lefty Will West was a bit of a revelation last season as an undrafted free agent. 2011 6th rounder Daniel Keller will probably start off repeating the AZL. Michael Schaub pitched well last season. And of course any arms the Brewers add in the upcoming draft could spend time in Arizona, too.

Player of the Year: Tyler Thornburg - He takes another step forward and puts himself into the top 50 prospects in baseball.

Pitcher of the Year: Taylor Jungmann - I think it's easy for people to forget how good this kid really is after coming out of that draft. Top five in another year.

New-Comer Biggest splash: Jorge Lopez - Really psyched about this kid. Looking for him to make Gallardo-type noise.

Most Improved Player: Kentrail Davis - .325/.429/.519 in the AFL and knows how to get on base (24/13 K/BB)

(I just didn't have enough stones to put Orlando Arcia in here, but I think this kid's going to be great)

• 2 weeks later...

- Player OTY: Logan Schafer-I think he's going to have a huge year. .330/.400 line and I think you see a little more power out of him. 20-22 HR's this year if he's in AAA all year.

- Pitcher OTY: Tyler Thornburg-Obviously the initial Lincecum comps were based on size and the fact that he could manage to throw hard, but he's showing a lot more to justify at least the cursory Lincecum comps. Improved his K's per 9 when he moved up last year to A+ despite not having quite as much success overall. Telling.

- New-comer: Jed Bradley-Throwing 95 consistently in instructs is pretty encouraging to me, as has been his cape performances. I think in the long run, a guy some thought could go in the top 4 falling to us at 15 will look like a great pick. Obviously when you draft two big strong power armed pitchers at 12 and 15 in the previous years draft, this is a hard chioce.

- Most improved: P Brooks Hall-I've been a huge fan of Hall since we drafted him. Decent year last year, but if he can get the fastball back to the 94-95 range he was capable of hitting and projected to be able to sit at in the pro's, he could have a very fast ascent.

Also obviously love D'vontrey and his pure skills. Reed should be fun to follow. It'd be great to see a position player have a huge year and move into that top 100 consideration, though probably a stretch. There are just too many guys with great tools in the lower minors to try and pinpoint one that I think is going to jump out and have a big year out of our group of position players.

Edit-Oh, and I suspect the "trade Weeks," talk will come from the same place it's always originated.....which incidentally is the same person who brought it up here.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived