Brewer Fanatic

Lost Finale--- don't open if you havent watched!

pogokat
Quote:
I found it interesting Charlie basically killed himself. He had an out. He could have left the room and closed the door and both he and Desmond would have survived but he didn't. He stayed inside and closed the door. Of course, if the door could only have been closed from the inside then he had to die but I don't recall them ever establishing that.

I simply interpreted that as Charlie's belief that for the sake of getting Claire and baby off the island, that was what needed to happed. It was an act of self-giving for the greater good that he had resigned himself to.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
So here's a question: In the "flash fowards", how is Jack's dad alive??

I think that's just part of Jack's delusions. Remember that the new Chief of Surgery gave him that curious look after he said that, as if to say "Your father has been dead for quite awhile."

What I find interesting is how Jack in the future is essentially Locke. Jack always needed reasons for everything while Locke believed in fate. But in the future it's Jack who's screaming "We made a mistake! We weren't supposed to leave!"

As for who's in the coffin, who would be taken to a funeral home in a poor African-American (or so it was portrayed) neighborhood? It would have to be someone that Kate (and apparently everyone else) despises, and someone that obviously only Jack felt any sympathy for.

But why would Jack so desperately want to get back to the island? Since Kate is the only one he reached out to prior to his bridge incident, I'm thinking that maybe Jack, Kate, Sawyer (if he's the "he" referred to by Kate) and coffin-boy (Ben?) are the only people to make it off the island. Maybe he's obsessing with the fact that he didn't get everyone off the island and is desperate to get back.

And I'm curious that if we'll now, being this is the halfway point of the show, being seeing "flash-forwards" of characters instead of the flashbacks. Haven't all the answers been basically answered for all characters as to how they ended up on the plane and their back stories?

Gruber Lawffices

I think that Ben was in the casket. When/if he comes off the island he starts to age really fast Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade style.

That's what I think

3TO Apostle

If the neighborhood is anything to go by, Michael leaps to mind as a possibility.

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into who showed up and who didn't. It's a local death that didn't make national headlines. For all we know, Jack and Kate are the only ones in LA. I certainly can't see Sun and Jinn flying in from Korea for a funeral, for example.

Robert

Ben in the coffin makes the most sense, but considering the "neighborhood" they set the funeral, it could be Walt.

I think the setting would lead me to believe it was Walt or even is dad.

My guess is that it is Sawyer in the coffin. I believe Kate is pregnant with Sawyer's baby and Sawyer clearly wanted nothing to do with a child if she is as indicated by his reaction when Kate told him of the possibility on the island.

Kate asked, "Why would I go?" when Jack asked her why she wasn't at the funeral and then she said "I'd better get back before he misses me or wonders where I am". (I can't quite remember the exact phrasing, but she could have been talking about her son. This leads me to believe that Kate is bitter about Sawyer leaving her to raise their child alone.

It also could be Ben in the casket, but my money is on Sawyer.

Cool episode nonetheless.

If it was Ben, Jack could have went to the funeral as a way of saying, "You were right. We weren't supposed to leave." I assume Ben's daughter stayed on the island with her mother. It's the only home those kids have ever known.

I think it makes the most sense if Michael (remember him?) was in the casket.

1) Everybody hates him 2) He's black.

They also have yet to explain anything about Walt, other than they had to get him off the show because the kid was aging way too fast. This would open up a storyline where Walt and Mike have a fallling out.

Plus I read on another board that they were supposed to show Michael in the casket but the actor couldn't make it.

I had thought Michael might be in the casket, but he was living in New York pre-crash so I had ruled him out. Also, that would mean something would have happened to Walt, since he wasn't there. Michael also called his mother during one episode, so he definitely has family still around. I don't think it's Michael at all.
Gruber Lawffices

I think the setting would lead me to believe it was Walt or even is dad.

I don't think it is Walt because Walt's mother is a very successful international executive/lawywer, so I doubt she would allow his funeral to be in that type of neighborhood.

Quote:
I believe Kate is pregnant with Sawyer's baby and Sawyer clearly wanted nothing to do with a child if she is as indicated by his reaction when Kate told him of the possibility on the island.

I saw his reaction, too, but interpreted it differently: if Sawyer knew that pregnant women are in danger on the island, he'd have that "I don't want to think about it" look on his face. I think that was the real reason he didn't want Kate to go with him.

But I don't remember if he does know about the danger, so maybe I'm way off. So much to keep track of http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Air pressure, I think. I read a comment elsewhere from someone who was dead sure that whole place wouldn't have flooded when the porthole was broken, but who knows.

The whole place would flood up to the level of the porthole.

I guess it depends on what you like about the series as to whether you found the finale satisfying. I enjoy the sci-fi/fantasy realism aspect of the plot, so I want that explained and advanced. The last few episodes and much of the finale did just that but it came to a screeching halt towards the end of the finale.

A person who watches the show primarily to enjoy the relationships of the characters and the character development in general would probably be very pleased with the finale. Can't please everyone I guess.

• 6 months later...
The ending was lame.

That is textbook blasphemy. You and I have like exact opposite tastes on like everything except baseball.

Here is the extended trailer for Season 4. I get heartburn when I watch it. CAN'T WAIT TILL JANUARY!

3TO Apostle

The ending was lame.

That is textbook blasphemy.

The big climax was that... the parts on the island were the flashback! OMG! Imagine how awesome it would have been if Memento had been the other way around, too!

I didn't sniff this out for sure right away, although a few people can confirm that I remarked at the beginning of the finale that it was odd they were starting the episode with a scene not on the island, and that Jack looked odd too.

The first season was awesome, the second season was a little underrated by most I think, but the third season was trash from about 3 episodes in until 3 episodes from the end. Let's have these two random castaways die! Awesome! Claire in a mostly-pointless flashback! Great! Telling us when Charlie would die! Superb! Hurley and his van... Why not?! Losing 7 million by midseason? Priceless!

What's the date of the next new episode?

Jamuary 31st. The season was supposed to be 16 episodes, however the writer's strike meant they were only able to get 8 episodes in the can. They'll be aired all in a row from 1/31-3/20. If the writers's strike comes to a halt, we might get the other 8 planned episodes as well.

• 1 year later...
Bumped because the greatest show on television is coming back tomorrow! For those that stopped watching during season 3, it got better again and I would place season 4 only a tad below season 1 in awesomeness. I really feel like they know what they're doing now that there's a set end date.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like the show a lot but I like the eye candy it contains even more. Kate is hot.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived