Brewer Fanatic

Lost Finale--- don't open if you havent watched!

pogokat

no spoilers, i swear, just post about it here if it's over for you

so tell me what you thought:

i'm not saying a word until im positive it's over everywhere...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The words "jaw dropping" come to mind. I think the show just reinvented itself before our eyes.

Edit: If nothing else it just brilliantly subverted the whole structure and formula of the show that's been well established to this point. "Through the Looking Glass" is a totally appropriate title for the episode.

Robert

I read spoilers so I knew what was going to happen. It was a very good season finale and even though I knew what was happening before it happened it has rekindled my interest in the show.

The best thing that seems to have happened to the show was the announcing of the series end after 48 more episodes.

yeah, so the flashbacks will be to the island going forward?

i liked the episode in places...and not in others...i loved sawyer assasinating tom and saying "that's for taking the kid off the boat" that was great...

i'm not going to love it if the show gets incredibly sappy..

oh, and welcome back to the invincible john locke...

Those are good guesses. My first was Locke, but it definitely has to be someone unmarried and unattached, and that people don't really like. You know, based on Jack's partial voicemail that he left (now presumably with Kate, not Sarah as you would think during the show), it might be most likely Sawyer, otherwise why would it be an emotional thing, unless it was more of a general nostalgia..

Also, this occurred to me - we now know that there are 3 more seasons. Abrams/Lindelof have claimed they had the rough outline of the show mapped out from the start. They may not have had much say in the scheduling/amount of episodes the next three years, but it is interesting to think about this moment occuring exactly (more or less) in the middle of the series. First 3 seasons - trying to get off. Last 3 seasons - trying to get back.

I don't think it was Sawyer in the casket, as Kate said she "had to get back; he'll be wondering where I am" to Jack. I would assume that is Sawyer that she's with. But maybe not.

Also, since that was the future, I wonder how far into the future it was. Wouldn't Kate have been arrested once she was "found" again?

Eh, it was a good episode. Still trying to figure out the whole Locke part of the show and how Walt said there's "work to be done". Obviously it wasn't Walt but the vision of someone Locke wanted to see, like Mr. Echo seeing his brother as a vision before he bit it via the smoke monster. So, I'm guessing Locke, who saw the smoke monster in season one and was humbled by it's beauty (if I remember right) and stared it down and didn't hide, is now working in tandem with it to save the island. Or something.

It's late. I don't like spoilers so I'll stop there. Should be interesting to read other's theories.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

i suppose its possible that Ben wants everyone to stay on the island so he can continue to search for a cure for this pregnancy thing, which may very well be spreading to people outside the island...

The words "jaw dropping" come to mind. I think the show just reinvented itself before our eyes.

Seconded. Frankly, I don't care that there were no answers. I don't get that frustrated by that stuff as others (get it?) do.

Anyway, the show has completely brought me back on board and I'm lovin' it.

Loved the flash-forward as well.

Yeah Russ. One of the things that bothered me was the part where BEn pleads with Jack to not use that phone....or everyone will die....but gives Jack NO reason why everyone would die.

Dont you think that if you were going to "talk them out of NOT leaving" that you would do a better job of explaing to them why they shouldnt??? That irritated me. And then at the end when they are making the call, Ben pulls the same stunt. Maybe I am asking too much of my TV characters these days, but for cripes sake, explain to Jack why you want him to stay, dont just make him do it on blind faith after the history between Jack and Ben.

Yeah, I'd agree that the episode had some problems, although not answering questions I don't think was an issue in this instance. The episode was all about getting a signal off the island and the cost of doing so.

That said, I agree that Ben and Locke sure did a half hearted job of convincing Jack of anything. I'm not sure why Sayid, Jinn, and Bernard are still alive either, although there was a good payoff for that subplot.

And, heck, we did find out Penelope was not associated with the "bad guys" which I'm presuming are the true Dharma. And it once and for all puts to an end the "they're in Limbo" theories.

As for who's in the coffin, my best guess is Ben. Or somebody we haven't met yet or really gotten to know, like Carl. Or Jacob. No way anybody is dragging Locke off the island alive.

Robert

I too found last night's finale to be quite enjoyable. The focus of the show will definately shift from this point out. Up until now the point has been to: 1) survive and 2) try and find a way to get off the island. They've succeded in those two things. I'm not so sure that we know where the next focus is going to be. For all we know, the first episode of next season could be them being rescued (not probable, but it's possible).

What I appreciate, for the most part, about the show is the tension that comes with not having answers provided so darn quickly. I think that is intentional: the uncertainty we feel as viewers is akin to similar feelings of the castaways. The show lives in the grey area of questions instead of plowing straight through to black and white answers.

I certainly agree that Ben and Locke's attemtps at convincing Jack and the castaways not to use the phone/get off the island was weak. It seems to me that a fair chunk of the remaining three seasons will have to deal with the question of why the island is special. As viewers, we've been wondering that for quite some time, but for the characters in the show, that's taken a back seat to their desire to get off the island (which is pretty reasonable). So far, the unique qualities of the island are only important to the people who have experienced them in a profound way, particularly, Locke, Ben, and the Others. I think that as the characters get off the island, that question will become more important for them as they deal with those questions and therefore become more central to the plot.

The question of who is in the coffin is a good one. I've got some guesses, but really no sound idea. For all we really know, it could be a character we haven't been introduced to yet.

I found it interesting Charlie basically killed himself. He had an out. He could have left the room and closed the door and both he and Desmond would have survived but he didn't. He stayed inside and closed the door. Of course, if the door could only have been closed from the inside then he had to die but I don't recall them ever establishing that.

I actually think Jack's Dad is still alive. Back in the first season Jack found his dad's coffin and there was nobody in it. So maybe he never died and the first place.

I think its Ben in the coffin and that Kate is married to Sawyer.

Add "...i think" to every statement:

- Charlie had to die to ensure Desmond's vision of Claire getting off the island.

- Ben in the coffin makes the most sense, but considering the "neighborhood" they set the funeral, it could be Walt.

- I was hoping Mr. Friendly would be a turncoat, but that would mean too many people switching sides. RIP, Tommy.

- Does Penny really spend 24 hours a day in front of that port waiting for contact?

- As the invincible Michiael explained, even if the room floods, the equipment still functions so expect a return to the Looking Glass.

Also: I haven't though about this until now...but can anybody explain the physics behind the moon pool? What keeps the water from rising?

Archived