Brewer Fanatic

Prince Fielder signs with Tigers - 9yrs/$214 million

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How much will Tiger Stadium hurt Prince's production? Isn't it a tough park for lefties or even hitters in general?

i believe i heard that its been a few years since a lefty hit more than 5 homers in a season at comerica, which speaks to the park and their lack of left handed power since the place opened.

The most hit by a lefty was 14 (Carlos Pena in 2005).

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

According to Jon Heyman, the Dodgers offered Fielder 7 years and about 160mil. An 18th overall pick would've been nice too...
This news surprised me a lot. I had assumed that the Dodgers were definitely out of the running for Prince without their ownership situation being fully resolved. It goes to show that the baseball talking heads definitely have to "create" storylines at times, by speculating about how in the mix Texas was when they reportedly weren't even close to Detroit's or LA's offer.

You just have to be careful as to which talking head you believe when it involves a Boras client. Just Google "Jon Heyman Scott Boras" once and you'll see. There are others, too, but he is the most egregious. I will say, at least he wasn't one of the people who was forwarding the completely baseless idea that Fielder was somehow going to sign a one year deal somewhere just because Ryan Madson did.

Boras took advantage of an old man (Ilitch), who'd like to win a championship before he's gone. At 82, he probably figured he can't take it with him so lets give some to Prince. I think he couldn't care less whether Fielder is productive the last couple years. He (Ilitch), probably won't be around anyway.

Maybe when Attanasio is in his 80's he'll break open his pocket book and instead of saving his fortune to leave to his rock star wannabe kids, he'll buy Milwaukee a championship.

I will always view him as a Brewer......hope he does great in the AL.

I have nothing against him but he chose to leave so I choose not to care about how well he does any more. It doesn't mean I hope he sucks. It just means I don't give a rat's behind if he does or not.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'm not buying the Dodgers rumor. McCourt is solely concerned with maximizing near term cash flow until the sale. They just wanted to save some face by throwing it out there with a "See fans, we're trying" story, especially given the Angels signing of Pujols. I don't buy it. Think of it like the Brewers making the lowball CC offer.

I do agree with the poster on Ilitch. I had no idea he was that old. He sees his window and his mortality closing and he wants to go for it. Can't blame him since he may not be around during the uglier part of the contract.

I will always view him as a Brewer......hope he does great in the AL.

I have nothing against him but he chose to leave so I choose not to care about how well he does any more. It doesn't mean I hope he sucks. It just means I don't give a rat's behind if he does or not.

I'm with you 100%. I don't fault the guy for leaving as Detroit offered double what the Brewers did (both in length and dollars). But at the same time, I will merely check his box scores and see how he's doing, not really caring either way if he's performing well or not. If he was a Cub, I'd be wishing ill will against him, but as a Tiger, I couldn't pretend to care.

From his interview on ESPN with Ravich, he didn't have much to say to fans in Milwaukee when prompted other than the city treated his family well. You'd think he would have more lasting memories and anecdotes other than just the standard line for a team that drafted him, had success, and treated him like a "Prince" the whole time he was here. Oh well.

Few thoughts on this whole deal...

Glad that Prince is going to the A.L. and the Tigers. Detroit is one of the few teams that I don't mind.

Have to give props to Boras for surprising me with what he got. Way above what I would have expected. At the same time, I wonder if their timing was fortuitous in that Martinez injury started a dialogue between the two parties or if the Tigers were involved all along. I'd guess the former.

I'm relieved that the deal was way out of the Brewer stratosphere, so I won't have to expend effort second guessing things for the next several years.

Mike Ilitch looks absolutely ridiculous with whatever that thing is on his head.

AkG3H8LCEAAHk45.png

A bit surreal to see him in another uniform, but good for him. Looks like he kept himself in real good shape over the winter.

Looking at this picture is like seeing your ex-girlfriend riding around town in her new boyfriend's 2012 Ferrari.

Yeah but we had her when she was young, low maintenance, and "experimented" in college. She's still hot, but wants kids, a house, and won't hide vodka in her bra.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

When he first signed with Detroit yesterday, I was relieved that Prince Fielder was not going to remain in the National League. I also laughed at the length of the contract.

24 hours later, the reality is starting to sink in that he is not a Brewer anymore. He was just one of the most unique players to ever wear a Brewers uniform. He had the big smile, and he played with intense passion. He protected his teammates and bonded well with everyone on and off the field. He was great with the fans. So many memorable moments on the field too. All those memorable clitch hits.

I am feeling very down today. It's almosy like the Brewers lost a little bit of what made them special.

I just don't know why pro-sports does this to its fans. Whether it's LeBron James, Albert Pujols, or Prince Fielder, this just feels wrong at so many levels. Why is this all so screwed up??

When he first signed with Detroit yesterday, I was relieved that Prince Fielder was not going to remain in the National League. I also laughed at the length of the contract.

24 hours later, the reality is starting to sink in that he is not a Brewer anymore. He was just one of the most unique players to ever wear a Brewers uniform. He had the big smile, and he played with intense passion. He protected his teammates and bonded well with everyone on and off the field. He was great with the fans. So many memorable moments on the field too. All those memorable clitch hits.

I am feeling very down today. It's almosy like the Brewers lost a little bit of what made them special.

I just don't know why pro-sports does this to its fans. Whether it's LeBron James, Albert Pujols, or Prince Fielder, this just feels wrong at so many levels. Why is this all so screwed up??

I've not felt this bad in a Brewers offseason since Molitor left.

Yeah, it feels that bad. We've just seen a future Hall of Famer depart... and part of me wonders... suppose the Crew HAD taken the 8/176 deal not so long ago, and the opportunity hadn't been missed?

I've not felt this bad in a Brewers offseason since Molitor left.

Yeah, it feels that bad. We've just seen a future Hall of Famer depart... and part of me wonders... suppose the Crew HAD taken the 8/176 deal not so long ago, and the opportunity hadn't been missed?

Get past the sentimentality, with all due respect. Prince had no sentimentality towards leaving Milwaukee, but we should towards him? Combine that $176 mil with the deal we cut for Braun, and we have irresponsibly committed an insane amount of money to two players without any regard to pitching and filling out the rest of the roster with capable players that can give us a chance to win consistently.

Molitor leaving was a shock. At the time, the Brewers had previously kept everyone they wanted to keep. This was totally expected.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Prince spent a decade in the Brewers' system and finally gets to go where he wants to. I'm not sure why anyone is unhappy or upset about it.

Those that are, are they also unhappy Aramis signed with the Brewers?

Are Cubs fans unhappy with A-Ram going to Milwaukee? That's something I honestly hadn't thought about before. The Cubs are clearly in rebuild mode right now, so I think it's understandable for a player who's a bit older leave for a chance to win before it's too late. Of course, fans aren't always logical about these sorts of things. Prince's situation was a bit different in that the Brewers were just two wins away from the World Series, and should be in contention again this season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Tigers were also two wins away from a WS without Fielder in the lineup.
So were the Rangers.

The Rangers were one stinkin strike away from the WS title.

Yeah, there's that....I blocked that fact as I really wanted the Cards to be demolished by the Rangers

Archived