Brewer Fanatic

Your 2013 Houston Astros or Houston ??

Unforutnately, you could make the same argument about the Brewers; and I for one would have been furious if the Seligs had tried to change our team's name when we moved to the NL.

I get what you mean, but at least the Brewers have the connection to the old Milwaukee Brewers clubs. The Astros' name came up as sort of a new marketing gimmick at the time anyway.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
carniesandrubes]Maybe they'll incorporate the train they have. Houston Railmen or something like that.

The Houston We-Got-Hit-By-The-Light-Rails?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Teams have been so awful at choosing nicknames for a while now.

The Houston Oilers would be interesting.

The Houston Briskets

I cant think of anything as original and as applicable as Astros though.

This is a really weird thread, and I mean that in a generally admiring way, but "Houston Briskets" is the comedy highlight for me so far. Brilliant.

The Rockets thing reminds me of the 90s techno group called Utah Saints, whose name managed to riff on the New Orleans Jazz move and Mormon theology in one stroke. Plus they were British. I'm still awestruck.

The Houston Briskets

I cant think of anything as original and as applicable as Astros though.

Living 3 hours from Houston, this is hilarious! Yes, we Texans are serious about our meat and BBQ, but can't you see it? The mascot would be a side of meat! PETA would have a field day!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The mascot would be a side of meat! PETA would have a field day!

People Eating Tasty Animals!

The Rockets thing reminds me of the 90s techno group called Utah Saints, whose name managed to riff on the New Orleans Jazz move and Mormon theology in one stroke. Plus they were British. I'm still awestruck.

And oddly enough, the "Saints" would work in Utah or NO. You just have you change your religion... http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/wink.gif

The Houston Lone Stars or just Stars wouldn't be that bad. It fits in with all of Texas' themes over the years.

I kind of agree with everyone else though, keep the name and if anything just change the Uni's. The Red/Black thing was cool like 10 years ago.

The Houston Lone Stars or just Stars

Well, the Dallas Stars may object to that...

But it would be worth it for all the "Space Balls" Themed parodies or special offerings they could do.

There's only one man who would dare give me the raspberry: Lone Star!

I have always thought that when the Minnesota North Stars moved to Texas they should have gone with Lone Stars, instead of the just "Stars".

At least they did change it, unlike the ridiculous Utah Jazz. I wouldn't expect something really fun like Utah Polygamists, but they should have changed it to something else.

It's too bad the OKC NBA team took "Thunder". That'd be a great nickname for a baseball team. Houston Thunder sounds kinda cool. Oh well.

With the changes in NASA, & the franchise's shift to the AL upcoming, I can see why the Astros would look at a new nickname (aka re-branding). I think that, at the very least, they'll update or change their logo/color scheme/uniforms even if they decide to remain the Astros.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not a big fan of Houston the city. Lots of traffic, rain, humidity, and with a culture that, in my opinion, is in the lower quartile of big league cities despite its population base.

I'd be partial to barbecue-based names, and here are some other options that have no chance of happening and have some relevance to baseball, the city, or its culture.

Houston Tylers

Houston Streets

Houston Human Traffickers

Houston Aliens

Houston Cowboy Hats

Houston Beyonces

edit: Although, I will say that I associate the word "Astro" with the Jetsons before Astronaut. I honestly had to think a second before the real association made sense.
Would the correct pronunciation be "Rast-roh?" http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/tongue.gif

Would the correct pronunciation be "Rast-roh?"

It was his name, so I suppose so. Seems that the family always got it wrong...

I'd play off the future rivalry with the Rangers. Something like the Houston Bandits or Houston Outlaws.

Houston Norrises - Mascot is a no-brainer with a bearded guy in a kick-boxing outfit and 10-gallon cowboy hat!

Archived