Brewer Fanatic

Jim Irwin dies at 77

jjkoestler

RIP. Grew up listening to him and Max every Sunday (tv sound off, radio on).

Still wish that I had a copy of the 1997 Super Bowl audio of those two.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I still think of Jim's voice when I think of Packers glory. RIP.

EDIT: I was glad to see the quote I most remember from him included in the WTMJ story...

"Handoff, second guy, Bennett! Touchdown! Walked into the end zone! Edgar Bennett, with a hole on the right side, that you could drive a truck to the Super Bowl through." - Packers 30, Panthers 13, in 1996 NFC Championship Game"
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

BTW "The Majik Man reached in his hat and pulled out a touchdown to Sterling" was perhaps my favorite. Probably just cause I loved the Majik Man. I know the call was during the 89 season and I think it was the upset of the niners, but I'll never be sure.

Jim's career is rightfully linked to the outstanding job he did with the Packers. But I know him better as the voice of the Bucks. Few Bucks games were televised in Green Bay in the late 1970s and early 80s, including the play-offs. Jim was my link to the team. Was he a homer? Yes, but he was our homer. Jim painted a great mental picture of what was happening in the game. He didn't have the entertainment value the Eddie Doucette had TV side, but he was able to get me to listen from the opening tip to the final second without interruption. He was terrific.

He was very prolific, doing Packers, Badgers and Bucks games. He was everywhere. . .Channel 4, WTMJ AM. For awhile, he was just the voice of everything non-Brewers--and he did some Brewers games as well.

We keep losing these guys from the past, though that's the way it works.

It doesn't make it any less sad, though.

He seemed like a fine man. RIP Jim, and thanks.

RIP. Grew up listening to him and Max every Sunday (tv sound off, radio on).
EVERYBODY did that. Just think of how lucky us Wisconsin sports fans have been when it comes to radio voices of our teams:

Bob Uecker

Jim Irwin/Max McGee, Wayne Larrivee

Matt Lepay

John McGlocklin (I remember him yelling at the refs over the air during a big game once, I think the year they got jobbed in the playoffs - 2001?)

I'd put that group up against any city/state/region in the country.

I was saddened to hear the news of his passing. I only remember him as the voice of the Packers.

Growing up in the early 90s, I can't tell you how many Sundays I spent in my backyard tossing the football around listening to him. I've missed his voice ever since he retired and now, the world will miss his presence.

RIP Jim

Archived