Brewer Fanatic

Marco Scutaro traded to Rockies

Bombers

I can't believe that article says the Red Sox needed to "free up money" come on. They print money in Boston.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I don't know the details, but it sounds like the new CBA adds more bite to the luxury tax, which is a big reason teams like the Yankees and Red Sox are not big players this offseason. I hope this new CBA helps "even the playing field" for mid market teams like the Brewers, although it will hurt them when they lose players like Marcum and don't even get draft picks.

While Mortensen was a 1st rounder (sandwich), it certainly appears that Colorado "won" this trade due in large part to the Red Sox needing to free up cash. Scutaro is a decent player, and the Rox didn't have to pay much for him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I do think it's a bit amusing how, 11.5 years later, Scutaro, the last active "remnant" of the original Richie Sexson trade, continues to live to play yet another year.

Brewers got: Richie Sexson, Kane Davis, Paul Rigdon, & Marco Scutaro

Indians got: Jason Bere, Bob Wickman, & Steve Woodard

I knew about the Scutaro trade, but read the thread title as, "Marco Estrada traded to Rockies". My heart kind of jumped because I like Estrada's potential as a starter in Milwaukee. That's all I got.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I knew about the Scutaro trade, but read the thread title as, "Marco Estrada traded to Rockies". My heart kind of jumped because I like Estrada's potential as a starter in Milwaukee. That's all I got.

I don't think Estrada will be anything more than a spot-starter at this point. He will probably be the long-man. He's already 28 so I don't know what "potential" is left. I like him for what he is but Fiers and Peralta are probably ahead of him if we needed a guy in the rotation long-term.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Estrada is a great starter candidate for the 03-05 Brewers. Not for a team trying to make the playoffs. He'll become a decent starter if he gets traded to a team that can afford to let him start (Royals, Astros, etc).

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I don't know. A 3.58 xFIP, stronger numbers as a starter than a reliever, a 3/1 K/BB ratio. Nothing about his 2011 was flukey (slightly low BABIP). Peripherals improved from 2010 to 2011 and from 1st half 2011 to 2nd half 2011. Yes, he's probably a spot starter, but we'll be glad we have him when there is an injury in the rotation. The big thing to watch with Marco will be if he can maintain a respectable GB/FB ratio.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I don't know. A 3.58 xFIP, stronger numbers as a starter than a reliever, a 3/1 K/BB ratio. Nothing about his 2011 was flukey (slightly low BABIP). Peripherals improved from 2010 to 2011 and from 1st half 2011 to 2nd half 2011. Yes, he's probably a spot starter, but we'll be glad we have him when there is an injury in the rotation. The big thing to watch with Marco will be if he can maintain a respectable GB/FB ratio.

The reason he will only be a spot-starter and guys like Peralta/Fiers are ahead of him on the depth chart is because they will be stretched out as starters (assuming they start in AAA). If the team only needs a start here or there, Estrada could probably give them 4-5 innings without being stretched out. However, if they need a long-term starter, I don't think they would plug Estrada in because he will likely have been pitching out of the bullpen the whole year. Now, if for some reason they keep him as a starter in AAA and Fiers makes the team, well then the situation would be the other way around.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Boston basically just gave him away, it's a shame, I would've loved to have had Scutaro in Milwaukee, he's better than Gonzalez and only what, like $1.5 mil more expensive
I read that no one wanted to pay all of Scutaro's $6 million contract. Everyone wanted some money kicked in. Rockies were the first to take on the whole contract.

I don't see why, $6 million isn't an outrageous amount for one of the better SSs in the game.

You're right. Except Scutaro isn't one of the better SSs. I would put Reyes, Tulo, Hardy, Cabrera, Peralta, Castro, Rollins, H. & A. Ramirez, Andrus, Y. Escobar, Drew, and maybe even Jeter above Scutaro.

He is actually a below average defensive SS and an erratic offensive player who is getting up there in age and starting to have injury problems. I'd have liked him too but not sure I want to pay him $6M and a player. He profiles much better as a 2B who backs up SS than a full time SS though so I think the Rockies makes a lot of sense for him.

Archived