Brewer Fanatic

Long-term extension for one: Greinke or Marcum?

adambr2

I think the numbers can only go up and up for Greinke.

Unless he blows out his arm this year. He has risk right now that he could get injured before free agency, which is why we could lock him up for a little less than it would take if he reaches free agency. Imagine that you are offered $750,000 right now, or you can swim across a river known to contain crocodiles, where you can get $1,000,000. If you don't get bit, you make more money. It all depends on whether you want to take that risk. The contract Greinke could get now is very good, if he risks injury and goes for free agency, the contract will probably be better.

My take is that we should make every effort to sign him to a fair deal now, but if we don't sign him prior to the end of Spring Training, I will assume he is gone at the end of the year. If that occurs, the Brewers have to be willing to trade him away if we're not at or near the top of the division come July. If we're in third place near trade deadline, we could probably get a good, MLB-ready SP from a contender for someone of Greinke's caliber. Let him push that team to victory, while we get a mainstay in our rotation (or maybe at SS) for the next six years.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From adam McCalvy via Rotoworld:

Brewers GM Doug Melvin said the Brewers will allow Shaun Marcum to reach free agency.

The writing seemed to be on the wall since this winter. Marcum is slated for free agency after the season. Perhaps Milwaukee is in wait-and-see mode with Marcum, who faded down the stretch last year. This seems like a lose-lose situation for the Brewers, however. If he has a big season, Marcum will likely price himself out of Milwaukee. If he happens to struggle, he'll simultaneously become affordable for the Brewers going forward while hurting their playoff chances in 2012.

So Melvin has stated that they arent going to resign Marcum?? Why would he say that?

I'm guessing any contract discussions with Marcum went so badly (team & agent being super-far apart is my guess) that there's no point in hiding that he's not going to be re-signed. Maybe this can drum up trade interest in Marcum? Other than that, I have no idea.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This really doesn't surprise me at all. Marcum likely wants more money than he deserves, so Melvin would rather just focus on Greinke. It was clear that Greinke was the first option all along anyway. I doubt Melvin seriously ever considered extending Marcum, and probably won't unless he can't keep Greinke.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Nobody would admit it publicly, but I'm sure the Brewers are just as nervous as fans about Marcum's collapse last season. They need to make sure that doesn't continue before they commit to him. If they are able to get Greinke, it doesn't matter. I hope that we hear some good news this coming week regarding the extension.

In all honesty why would they even try to sign Marcum when it would effectively eliminate their chance at Zach.

I hope in the next week we hear about a big push for Zach and hopefully marcum has a huge year pitching for his next contact in an American league city.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/18023227/greinke-is-a-great-client-but-no-agent-lets-hope-he-hires-one

Greinke's first words to the Brewers management when starting contract negotiations were "I think very highly of my client". Hilarious

On fan support: "Some people like me. I'm not sure why.'' That almost sounds like one of Ueker's lines.

They'd be in great shape with Greinke locked up. Yo, Greinke, Narv, maybe a one-year extension on a Wolf or Wolf-like guy and 4 shots on goal over the next few years with the prospects. Marcum just becomes a pricey option as his price goes up and the productivity likely wanes. Get Greinke locked up and they just need to have a couple of these prospects hit.

So what's the hold up here?

I think the Brewers have serious interest in extending Greinke and I believe there is a post back in these threads where Melvin or Ash was quoted using the comps of Verlander, King Felix and Weaver. All in the 5 years $80-$90 million range. Assuming that the use of these comps means the Brewers would be willing to give Greinke this deal today, I have to assume the holdup is on Greinke's end. If that is the case, I have to ask myself what he is holding back for. The only logical thoughts in my mind are:

1. More money

2. Unsure of Brewers long term competitiveness

Other than those two things, I am not sure I understand the holdup here. Is there more to this situation in anyone else's mind?

I think Grienke actually enjoys the negotiating experience. I think he is in no hurry because once he signs he will have to hold another press conference(he loves) and he likes the thought that goes into the process.

That being said if we offer or have offered Felix type money, I too am wondering why we have not heard either a Grienke wants to pitch all season and then see or he has signed.

Grienke is also the kind of person that knows signing will mean less attention in the long run something else he has been vocal about in the past.

My two thoughts directly contradict each other and I am aware of that. This discussion has in fact had me going back and forth constantly and I have no idea where negotiations are if they even exist.

I do know that I am hopeful, and like the fact that he and Braun (signed for 10 years) have been discussing contract. If Zach likes Braun that is a huge bonus because he has said publicly he does not like many people... Haha

I would also think Braun sees how much better we are with him and could be our biggest ally in getting Zach with that pen n his hand.

Archived