Brewer Fanatic

Long-term extension for one: Greinke or Marcum?

adambr2
Even if he got a free agent now it wouldn't necessarily mean he is thinking of a long term contract. I would get an agent before the season so I could just relax after the season instead of wasting time looking for one.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Count me in as well...until I read the blog by Haudricourt today. Ugh. That didn't sound too promising to me. Sounded very "Prince-esque."
"That's the plan," said Greinke of waiting to hire an agent. "It doesn't mean anything. I can do some stuff. That’s between me and the Brewers."

The market for pitchers of Greinke's class has been fairly well defined by previous signings of Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez, Jered Weaver and C.J. Wilson. All of those pitchers received five-year deals for approximately $80 million.

Greinke said he was well aware of those numbers.

"I know all that stuff," he said. "At least I think I know all of that stuff, especially with pitchers that (he compares to). All of this is getting too far in advance. My mind could change by then."

I didn't take it as discouraging, just him being honest.

"I’m very comfortable," he said. "I’ve said the organization is amazing; it really is. I’m sure there’s other good ones but it can’t be much better than this, especially with the front office (being) great, and I think our owner is the best owner out there. He’s fantastic. He has fun; he enjoys watching the game. He cares about us winning. He’s never negative. I just think he’s great."
That made me feel a little more optimistic. He also talked about how he wasn't thrilled by the idea of trying to negotiate with a lot of FA suitors prior to having to get ready for another season, and FA can back fire and that "you would have been better off signing with your team." I read this as him saying that the Brewers are going to approach him with an extension offer, and if he likes it, there's a decent chance he'd sign.'

I think if the Brewers offer him a deal like LAA gave Jered Weaver, it would be really close to getting something done.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Not sure what to make of the article in general, but once again, awesome:

Greinke noted that agents are already being pitched to him, including a recent call from a former teammate.

"I knew what he wanted so I didn’t call back the first time," said Greinke. "Then he called a second time so I said, 'All right, I’ll answer it.' I knew what he wanted but we spent 20 minutes beating around the bush, talking nonsense, which with him I don’t mind it so much but that’s the annoying part. I knew what we were getting to. It just took forever to get to it."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Greinke will wait to see how the team is doing during the season. I think his biggest fear is getting caught on a bad team. As we know, he hates losing, and it really gnaws at him mentally. I think he wants to make sure he feels the Crew is going to be decent for the next few years.

I think Greinke will wait to see how the team is doing during the season. I think his biggest fear is getting caught on a bad team. As we know, he hates losing, and it really gnaws at him mentally. I think he wants to make sure he feels the Crew is going to be decent for the next few years.

Since he's representing himself, and said that he wouldn't hire an agent until the end of the year unless talks really progressed with the Brewers, what you're suggesting could really affect his pitching this season. I couldn't imagine that he or Melvin will try to negotiate a contract mid-season if he doesn't have an agent. Plus, what could he learn about the long-term success of the Brewers in a couple of months that he doesn't know now? It's not like they're going to trade away Braun, Yo or Weeks.

I'm beginning to believe that we are going to hear about an extension soon, but I'd guess that if an extension isn't signed before the season starts he will be a free agent at season's end.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If the Brewers don't get a deal with Greinke done within a month, I'd say that the odds will shift heavily toward him leaving. The fact that he most likely won't even have an agent by then is not a good sign. How many guys of his stature sign a deal during the season before they hit the market? Maybe he's truly 'different', but I've heard the I love Milwaukee song and dance quite a bit in the past. In the end, money talks and if he pitches as he's capable, teams will be crawling all over themselves to throw obscene money at him.

If the Brewers don't get a deal with Greinke done within a month, I'd say that the odds will shift heavily toward him leaving. The fact that he most likely won't even have an agent by then is not a good sign. How many guys of his stature sign a deal during the season before they hit the market? Maybe he's truly 'different', but I've heard the I love Milwaukee song and dance quite a bit in the past. In the end, money talks and if he pitches as he's capable, teams will be crawling all over themselves to throw obscene money at him.

I don't think it shifts towards him leaving, just towards him not signing during the season. Who knows, maybe Zack needs something to do on the days he's not pitching and contract negotiation could be that thing.

I just can't imagine Melvin and Attanasio more specifically, allowing Greinke to leave given the price they paid in prospects to get him to Milwaukee. Of course if he signs a ridiculous CC-esque type deal then there really wasn't anything the Brewers could do. I do see the Brewers being willing to go to a 5 years $100 million deal to ensure Greinke stays.

Crazy thing about the Greinke and Marcum deals is that the best prospect today looks like Lawrie, who was being touted as potentially the best 3B in baseball by midseason on MLB Network Radio SiriusXM. Whether or not you agree it is fascinating stuff that the best prospect brought back the worse pitcher.

I see this as being no different then the C.C. scenario. Let's say Greinke puts in a full season as he pitched last year. If that happens, and he hits the market, he's 95% gone. The Yankees, Dodgers, etc., etc. will all throw crazy money at him, as he'll be the best FA pitcher on the market. Even if he has a down season, someone will pay him based on his past and his potential. Sad to say, but if the Brewers don't get him locked up by Opening Day (which is very unlikely), probably the best scenario for them keeping him is that he has an injury-marred season.

I think Zack does not want to play in a big market. I remember watching him in the bullpen during spring training last year. He practically hid in the tunnel the whole game. The one time he came out he stood at the fence and talked with Mike Rivera for a while and then retreated back into the tunnel. I don't think he likes attention or pressure. Plus, he already signed an "extension" with Kansas City, I don't know what would prevent him from resigning with Milwaukee.

I don't buy the whole 'he will stay away from big markets' thing. Call me a defeatist small market Brewer fan who has had his heart broken before, but I guess that I'll believe it when I see him turn down an extra $40 million from the Yankees or Dodgers to stay in Milwaukee or return to Kansas City. Yes, he has anxiety issues, etc., but he also seems like a pretty self confident guy. Would he really be that afraid of maybe 50 extra media guys around the team? Sure the fans elsewhere may be more brutal on an under-performing big money free agent (and he'd likely get a big free pass if he stayed in Milwaukee), but I'd take that chance for many extra millions. Some guys aren't cut out to play in the big markets (Eddie Whitson anyone?), but these days there is such a disparity in the money they can offer compared to a team like the Brewers, it's almost impossible for them not to bite. Bottom line, 'home town discounts' still apply sometimes, but usually for lower money veterans like Craig Counsell, not the marquee guys.

I doubt he takes a big discount to play with the Brewers. But I doubt that the large market team can offer all that much more than we can, the advantage that large markets have is insanely overstated at this point.

The Angels just signed a TV deal that gives them more revenue per season than the Brewers entire record payroll this year.

I'm not sure how you can say that it's insanely overstated.

Yes, these teams may choose not to exceed the spending soft cap put in place by the latest collective bargaining agreement, but if they want to, they can still completely blow the Brewers out of the water.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

If he is not signed by opening day, I think our chances of signing him are significantly hurt. He is unusual, but he is human and the numbers being floated about Cain and Hamels in FA will not make it easy to resign for less than value.

I tend to believe mark and Doug know that and feel that too. If there ever was a time to ask a player how much will make you happy to play in a place you have indicated (honestly) you enjoy this is it.

Zack is brutally honest, and appreciates honesty. I think approaching it in a way he understands is the best way. What number makes you happy, and will still allow this franchise you 'love' stay competitive for the duration of your contract?

I really do think the Brewers need to go all in for him. And they should really try to avoid insulting him with a low ball offer in hopes he'll come down in his asking price. This franchise can survive the losses of Marcum and Wolf, but losing Greinke would set them back again. He likes it here. They'll have money freed up with the likely departures of Wolf, Marcum, and K-Rod and should really look to trade Corey Hart and/or Nyjger Morgan to open some room for guys like Gindl and Schafer. There is no reason not to get a deal done unless Greinke simply doesn't want to come back.

I really do think the Brewers need to go all in for him. And they should really try to avoid insulting him with a low ball offer in hopes he'll come down in his asking price. This franchise can survive the losses of Marcum and Wolf, but losing Greinke would set them back again. He likes it here. They'll have money freed up with the likely departures of Wolf, Marcum, and K-Rod and should really look to trade Corey Hart and/or Nyjger Morgan to open some room for guys like Gindl and Schafer. There is no reason not to get a deal done unless Greinke simply doesn't want to come back.

The articles I've read have mentioned the recent contracts signed by some other ace-quality pitchers, and it sounds like Greinke is pretty aware of what's out there. I'm not worried about the team "lowballing" him. I'm sure there's been some discussion between Melvin and Greinke using the recent deals as a baseline. As your last line states, if Greinke is interested in staying (or if Greinke isn't insistant on becoming a free agent), then I believe a deal will be done before Spring Training is over.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yeah, I think both sides know a Jered Weaver type contract is realistic and probably what it will take. I don't think Attanasio will hesitate to let Melvin give out a contract like that, either. If there is any budget concerns, they can defer some money if need be. I don't think they'll have to, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I agree that a Weaver/Verlander/King Felix deal is the most fair deal to both sides given Greinke's production vs the above three. However, I think when push comes to shove we are going to see Greinke compare himself more to Cain and Hamels who are rumored to be receiving deals well north of $100 million. If this is the case, then Greinke will be moving on.

I agree that a Weaver/Verlander/King Felix deal is the most fair deal to both sides given Greinke's production vs the above three. However, I think when push comes to shove we are going to see Greinke compare himself more to Cain and Hamels who are rumored to be receiving deals well north of $100 million. If this is the case, then Greinke will be moving on.

Maybe, but it partly depends on how much Greinke really wants to stay in Milwaukee. He's not stupid. He knows Milwaukee can't/won't pay him as much as a big market team.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the numbers can only go up and up for Greinke. Look at the TV deals being signed by the Angels and Padres. There's going to be more and more money available - and the players and the agents know it. I just hope Greinke likes it in Milwaukee and is happy with the team and its future. He's a unique person, and that will, hopefully, work out for us.

Archived