Brewer Fanatic

Long-term extension for one: Greinke or Marcum?

adambr2
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great post Stevo aka Old City.

For what its worth, that 9.3 for Greinke sure does look like an outlier to me.

Its an outlier for baseball in general. That was probably the finest season by a pitcher in the last decade. Without looking it up, you probably have to go back to Schiling or Pedro when they were at the top of their games.

Great post Stevo aka Old City.

For what its worth, that 9.3 for Greinke sure does look like an outlier to me.

Its an outlier for baseball in general. That was probably the finest season by a pitcher in the last decade. Without looking it up, you probably have to go back to Schiling or Pedro when they were at the top of their games.

Randy Johnson in 2004 had a 9.9 WAR. Sheets was 2nd that year with an 8.0. The 5th best in the NL was Clemens who won the CY.

Here are the top pitcher seasons since Dwight Gooden's monster 1985 using rWAR.

[pre]Player WAR Year Tm GS CG SHO W L IP BB SO ERA ERA+

Roger Clemens 10.3 1997 TOR 34 9 3 21 7 264.0 68 292 2.05 222

Pedro Martinez 10.1 2000 BOS 29 7 4 18 6 217.0 32 284 1.74 291

Roger Clemens 9.5 1990 BOS 31 7 4 21 6 228.1 54 209 1.93 213

Zack Greinke 9.0 2009 KCR 33 6 3 16 8 229.1 51 242 2.16 205

Greg Maddux 8.8 1995 ATL 28 10 3 19 2 209.2 23 181 1.63 262

Randy Johnson 8.8 2002 ARI 35 8 4 24 5 260.0 71 334 2.32 197

Bret Saberhagen 8.6 1989 KCR 35 12 4 23 6 262.1 43 193 2.16 180

Jose Rijo 8.6 1993 CIN 36 2 1 14 9 257.1 62 227 2.48 163

Justin Verlander 8.6 2011 DET 34 4 2 24 5 251.0 57 250 2.40 170

Teddy Higuera 8.4 1986 MIL 34 15 4 20 11 248.1 74 207 2.79 156[/pre]

Who would have guessed Teddy Higuera makes the list!?

Some interesting notes on Greinke from Adam McCalvy's blog post "Greinke talks about scouting trip"

The best part of Zack Greinke’s recent scouting assignment, he said, was that Craig Counsell stole all the attention.

Greinke and Counsell attended Friday’s Arizona State University baseball game to get a look at right-hander Brady Rodgers, a prospect in the upcoming First-Year Player Draft. Counsell, of course, is a fan-favorite in these parts, and he was approached all night by well-wishers. Greinke flew under the radar.

“Everyone was talking to him,” Greinke said with a smile, “and no one was talking to me.”

That’s how he likes it. Greinke said he used to attend high school games to watch young talent, but the fame associated with his sensational 2009 season has made that more difficult. Last year, he surprised some Brewers official by asking for video of all of the top pitching prospects, and said he was extremely impressed by some of the “amazing” pitchers that were selected in the First-Year Player Draft before the Brewers had their first chance at No. 12.

“I like watching some of the young guys,” he said. “I try to get my own thoughts on it, and then I’ll try to remember three or four years down the line if I dod a good job or if not. It’s just more fun for me than anything to take too seriously.”

He said he’d keep his assessment of Rodgers to himself. Greinke will probably accept Doug Melvin’s offer to sit in on some of the Brewers’ Draft preparation.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Hahah. Maybe it's just me, but I always notice the "Greinkeisms" in his interviews--the brutal honesty. His quote from the JS on the same topic:

“It’s just more fun for me. It’s not anything taken too seriously at the moment. I liked a lot of guys in last year’s draft but the absolute amazing ones all got drafted before we got a chance.”

Should be a fun few weeks with Jungmann and Bradley in camp....

I realize money significantly outweighs all other factors in contract negotiations, but there is something slightly comforting with Zack appearing intrinsically motivated by involvement with the off-the-field operations of the organization.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's just speculation, but I would hope the scouting work Greinke is doing - no matter how simple - will encourage him to want to stay in Milwaukee.

Zack seems like the kind of guy that gets bored, and if he can be engaged in other ways, I would hope that would make him more comfortable in the organization. I think hanging with a smart guy like Counsel would be good for him.

I really see Zack as a key to continuing success for this club (beyond 2012). I think we will be in the thick of things this year, but Greinke and Gallardo would give us a top of the rotation that can compete with most teams for the next five years. Both are young and in their prime.

My guess is that Greinke wants to know if he'll have "help" in the rotation if he re-signs, or if it's going to be mostly him and Gallardo carrying the load. Either way, it's cool to see an active starting pitcher being concerned about the organization's prospects.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I just saw on ESPN Insider that Greinke now plans to hire an agent soon, and Melvin and Attanasio will then sit down with whoever it is and hammer out an extension before Opening Day. Says they are determined to do so. I hope this is true. Especially, because it'll likely mean we won't have to overpay Marcum for an extension out of desperation.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

That would be welcome news if true. I would love to get a Greinke deal done and out of the way. We would then have Greinke Gallardo Narveson Peralta Axford Gamel Weeks Ramirez Braun, Morgan, Gomez, all locked up for the forseeable future. With the likes of Jungmann, Bradley, Thornburg, Schafer coming up in the next few years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Agreed 2013 rotation of:

Yo

Grienke

Peralta

Narvy

Either a vet, or another young arm. Fiers?

I would be okay with Grienke, Yo and Narveson - then stacking up one or two of the young guys, or a one-year type free agent (like teams have done with Edwin Jackson).

Remember, Wolf has a $2 million buyout, so keeping him, in effect, costs $8 million. While I don't think that's the best option - it is an option if you don't like what else is on the market.

I'd like Marcum back, but I don't know if we can afford him if we resign Greinke.

Here's the names that Bowden mentioned that Greinke is considering. No Boras. "He is expected to consider several of the top agents in the business including Brodie Van Wagenen of CAA, Casey Close formerly of CAA, Adam Katz from Wasserman and Seth Levinson from ACES."
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Please be true. I'd love to have Greinke and Yo both locked up for the next few seasons.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Seems like a lot of the FA pitchers to be are considering locking into deals now. The Greinke news about hiring an agent as well as a story from CSN Bay Area (link below) about Matt Cain and the Giants getting close seems to be drying up the market for FA pitchers after the season. Hopefully, Greinke and the Crew get this done before Opening Day.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/giants-talk/post/Contract-talks-dont-unnerve-Cain-in-spri?blockID=663992&feedID=2539

Knowing Melvin & Greinke, there will be absolutely zero news about any contract talks. If they agree on an extension, the announcement is going to be one helluva nice surprise.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

To me, I think it's just a matter of time (w/in the next 2 weeks) before we get the press release info with Greinke being extended. I think Greinke has appreciated the chances the organization has given him to assist with scouting other pitchers. I think he see's what the organization did for Counsel and he's going to want the same treatment. I think the organization is interesting in using Greinke's talents/brains long term as well. Greinke knows Mark A is a winner and wants to continue that trend. The fan base has been excellent towards him. Like I said....it's just a matter of time.

Archived