Brewer Fanatic

Derek Lee's 5 game suspension/appeal?

lbb020
Does anyone have any idea when he will be forced to serve the suspension? It's quite ridiculous that it has been over a month since his appeal to the suspension has been announced and nothing more has come of it. It certainly would be nice to see him serve a 5 gamer, which hopefully would cool down the cubs.

I still don't understand why he didn't drop the appeal when they started that four game set against the Nats before the break.

After the Gints leave town, the Cubs have about 2 1/2 weeks of pretty tough games to play. They'll certainly miss him if he's sitting out right in the middle of that stretch.

I was kind of surprised that Lee's OPS was still over .900 because his HR totals have taken a huge dropoff. He's still drawing walks and has that very good BA. Looking at it though he almost looks like he could be ready to take a big nose dive. His HR rate is lower than any other year of his career and that kind of dropoff would seem to beg for more pitchers to challenge him, and his BA is way above his career mark by 50 points. Maybe he's drastically changed his approach, but if those batting average points start to evaporate he could quickly become more of an albatross than an asset.

I seem to remember that many appeals had to be heard in person on the East Coast, preferably in New York City. Since the Cubs don't go there at all any more this season (unless you count Pittsburgh or Miami as "East Coast") who knows when it will occur.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote:
According to a Cub Blog, Lee may have got injured yesterday. He's sitting out today's game and if the pain lasts, will take his suspension now.

(grumble)

Shouldn't there be a rule that you can't take a suspension as a quick 5-day DL?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If Prince was suspended, I'd want him to do the honorable thing and serve it while he was completely healthy.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

that's pretty rotten

I've come to expect nothing less from the city of Chicago.

I don't get why its rotten or what the city of chicago has to do with it. If you want to be mad, be mad at MLB. The classic saying of don't hate the player hate the game, or in this case the rules. Lee is hurting so its the perfect time to take his suspention, add in the fact that big Z is pitching today it makes a ton of sense to start sitting now. I hate the cubs as much as anyone else on the board, but its a smart move by them and dlee

If the loop hole is there, you can't fault them for using it. I'd feel pretty fortunate if the shoe was on the other foot.

However, it should be noted that over on the Cubs MLB forum, their upset that Young wrangled around his suspension, but not complaining about Lee getting around his.

If the broken system will allow it, this is a shrewd move by the Cubs, I would want the Brewers to do the same. At least he'll miss five games, all is not lost.

MLB should have addressed this years ago, this nonsense happens all the time.

Again, I don't blame them for using the system, but this is just funny. Even Lee is upset about Young working his way around it, while he talks about how he's working around it;

Quote:
"He was smart. He got around it," Lee said. "But I think Major League Baseball needs to look at that so the punishment is more equal."

However, Lee's time off comes at a good spot for him. He fouled a ball off his left ankle in the eighth inning Tuesday night. He could've played Wednesday, but he'll benefit from the rest. His ankle was a factor in his decision.

"A little bit," Lee said. "I probably could've played today but rather than limp through a couple games -- I have to serve it sometime. The feeling was I was going to get at the most one game reduced. Serve it now. We looked at Arizona and they didn't have many lefties. Daryle [Ward] can face them."

Ward, a left-handed hitter, will start at first for the Cubs, who play the Giants on Wednesday and Thursday, then play host to the Diamondbacks this weekend.

Lee did have a hearing scheduled for July 2 but that was postponed.

"You would've liked to have had a hearing," Lee said. "This way, it's just wait and see. And once you have the hearing, you have no choice -- who knows if you have that hearing and it falls before an important series and it might not work out in your favor."

Emphasis mine.

Quote:
If Prince was suspended, I'd want him to do the honorable thing and serve it while he was completely healthy.

I wouldn't want Prince to take a swing at the opposing pitcher.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived