Brewer Fanatic

job offer dielema

jwill535

I currently have a nice job where i like what i do and enjoy the people i work with. A family friend offered me a posistion with the company he works for(competing companies). Here is the break down. The current posistion is really easy, i really only do about 10-15 hours of work a week and spend the rest of the time on the internet.

Pros- $1 more an hour, with another in 2 months. 2 weeks paid vacation(paid back if not used), 6 sick days(paid if not used). Health insurance the same across the board but i would be paying 300 less a month. Faster career path here too. Half the distance, 10 minutes versus 20-25.

Cons- Bigger company, would have to share an office compared to having my own. No idea if i will be able to listen to the radio, have the freedom i have at my current posistion.

I have been going back and forth for the last couple days, need a couple more opinions.

does seem like a tough decision. I probably wouldn't take it, only cause i was happy and comfortable in my current position. The extra couple bucks a month would be nice and spending less on gas, but I personally value being happy at a job as more valuable.

Do i take the faster career path with more money but more work and less freedom or do i stay with the slower paced job that i will get to the same place as the other just years later, but have more freedom(to peruse Brewerfan during the day).

That is quite a dilema, but remember that it's a good problem to have. It's a totally personal choice, mostly depending on what you value in work and your tolerance for risk. But since you asked, here's an opinion.

If you're a "hard-charger" and get a lot of satisfaction from achieving things, it sounds like the new company would be a good move. The pay raise, but mostly the career opportunity could be intruiging. That said, you take a risk in going...your co-workers could be jerks, etc. Your current job is a known quantity, which has some value b/c you know what to expect.

If you value your "internet surfing time" like I do, you might find that you like your current job and don't need the money or career advancement. I write a lot online and really have to have a time at work to react to those things--that has a lot of value for me. The freedom you have at your job sounds like it's pretty valuable to me, and is something you won't find in a lot of places.

If you like your current job and have that kind of freedom, I suggest looking at your long-term goals before making the leap. Don't let a dollar and hour sway your decision. If you're looking for a change anyway, you might seize the opportunity, but if you like your job, think long and hard about the jump.

I would take it. It gets you on a better career path that could open more doors for you down the road. Your saving money on gas and insurance, plus your getting paid more.

I am assuming if the companies are competing you willl be doing similar type of work? All the cons you have seem very minor if this is a job that could spring board your future career. Yes you need to like what you do, I think that is a big thing however, I also look to the future. I would take it.

This may sound stupid, but the biggest reason i havent jumped on this, is that i dont want to have to quit the current posistion i have. The people that i work with are really nice, plus i have only worked here for about 6 months.

Saving $300.00/month on insurence is enough to move in and of its own. Plus, the additional money (around $3500.00 a year more) and improved gas costs...You're looking at over $7000.00 in income more a year...that's hard to pass up. Plus a faster career path.

Your one concern seems to be you enjoy not working and being lazy. We all do. But I think you can pretty much be lazy at any company.

I don't know. I was in a similar situation. I liked my job, had freedom to write my own schedule, was in charge of a small staff... then I accepted an offer that I thought would help me move up, and it did. I was promoted 5 times in 2 years. But after a period of time I found myself terribly unhappy - particularly with the hours. I'm now looking for a job that pays less, but has better hours. Four days ago I gave my notice (3 weeks) and I plan on using my remaining vacation time to get me through the summer.

I guess my point is that you need to find something that balances happiness with paying the bills. Don't let money be the number one factor.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Verified Member

Are we talking from $8 to $10/hr or $30 to $32/hr?

Do you need that extra money?

Do you like the guy who offered you the job?

Will you be able to cut it at the new job (working 40 hrs vs 15)? Will it even require you to work more?

What's preventing you from promotion at your current job? Things can happen (firings/quit/death/new job created) that open doors. But if you're working 10-15 hours out of the 40 you should be, will it be you who gets promoted? Or someone else?

Will it be you who gets promoted if you switch to the other job? Or someone else? Who would be fighting for the same spot you are? More people? Less?

I'm guessing you're the only one who knows you're on the internet most of the day at your current job. If you're sharing an office, those you work with will know. Are you in the same office as them all day, or are you in and out?

No need to reply. Just some things to think about.

needing money isnt an issue right now, house paid off. Just greedy i guess.

Its a longer office, think wider then deep. He would be on one side i would be on the other. about 10' apart. I think he is only in there half the day.

The work would be the same with some more indepth dimensions added in.

Take the new job.

Clearly, you're not being challenged enough in your current role, and while all the goof time seems a luxury right now, you're not getting anything out of it.

And it won't be long before all that extra time becomes a burden to you.

Plus, with a bigger company, you'll get a chance to show your work to a different and larger audience. You could leverage that exposure later in your career to bigger and better projects.

It really depends on what your aspirations are. If a comfortable job with a limited ceiling is fine then why mess with a good thing? If you want to climb the ladder then you have to play the game. More money and better company also involves higher expectations. There is nothing wrong with liking an easy job and if you earn enough money at your current job be happy and enjoy the life you have outside of work. If you are the type that places a high priority on your carreer it sounds like you may have to bite the bullet and take on the bigger challenge. It may also be wise to look at each company's history of "right sizing". If the one you are going to has a history of hiring then firing a couple years later tread carefully.

from the pros and cons you mentioned, you listed a lot more pros to the new job than the old one.

and like Braun'sBoyfriend mentioned, the pro to your current job is that you don't have that much work to do? If you listed your ideal job, I can't imagine lots of downtime would honestly make your list. Being busy is ultimately more rewarding and satisfying.

A great work atmosphere is very valuable, though. Granted, you can't automatically assume the new place would necessarily be worse. Does your friend know anything about the employees there and could say something about them?

If the money is not that big of a factor or the driving, then I would stay at the current job. Sounds sweet with a lot of freedom. Cant really mess with that. Although if you need that extra money and you are having a hard time with the very high gas prices you may want to really consider it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

"Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. it's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it's when you've had everything to do and you've done it."

I don't really feel that I'm in a position to advise you on your decision, but for what it's worth, that's a quote that I try to live by.

Edit: I'm quoting Margaret Thatcher, btw.

"Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. it's not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it's when you've had everything to do and you've done it."

That is a great point. I have a job currently like that. Some days are very bland and I just surf th web and stuff. But other days I get some real work done and well and in a timely matter and then I feel great.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I don't really feel that I'm in a position to advise you on your decision, but for what it's worth, that's a quote that I try to live by.

I have to agree with that. My current job allows me wayyyyyy too much browsing time to the point I'm sick of it. It's a nice thing when you've been busy for awhile and you get an easy week. But my position currently has had just too much of it and I grow tired of it.

Granted, I've spent a lot of time reading plenty for interesting things both related and not related to my field of work (software development, etc). But I wrote software when I was younger because I like it. I got a degree in CS because I loved it. Now I'm at a job where the expectations are so little I hate it.

The pay is decent and the benefits rule. The atmosphere is OK although most my coworkers are incompetent in my opinion. But it's easy. And its easy to get used to easy. But it also leads to boredom, stagnation and a destruction of initial interests.

But for you, if you're in a filed you like, but you're only sitting around all day, you'll find your entire life more rewarding by actually doing what you like.

I can't wait until my 3 years is up so I can get a new job to be honest.

As long as you can still play softball, does it matter? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm all about being happy, even if it means less money. I'm trying to be a teacher for crying outloud...not much money in that, but when I teach, I absolutely love it. I'm not telling you not to take the new job, but don't do it simply because of the extra money (which it sounds like you wouldn't do anyways).

Teachers do pretty well. People forget teaching isn't a year long occupation but one that gives you June, July and August (not in full of course....but a teacher basically gets 10-12 weeks off a year) in essence. Not to mention every other legal holiday and spring break and Christmas/New Years.

What I'm saying is teachers get a lot more time off than a typical person.

Also, teachers get pretty good benefits. Job security is second to none as well. Also, they do make very good money after some time has been put it. By the 10 year mark a teacher is making a decent amount and still has all that vacations.

What I'm saying is teaching is a pretty good gig. Especially if you have a family. The benefits and the fact that you're working mainly when your kids are is beneficial.

If you're in a band, teaching is great as youre off in the summer.

My GF is a teacher.

Quote:
Teachers do pretty well.

uh, no they don't. Most teachers I know are barely able to sustain their families. Heck, for my first 6 years, I was BARELY over the poverty line after taxes.

Quote:
People forget teaching isn't a year long occupation but one that gives you June, July and August (not in full of course....but a teacher basically gets 10-12 weeks off a year) in essence. Not to mention every other legal holiday and spring break and Christmas/New Years.

This is true. We get long "vacations". But we are also one of the few professions where you are required to work at home every night no matter what (grading papers, getting projects ready, writing lesson plans) or you will get so bogged down that you have to quit. There probably are a few jobs where people have to bring their work home with them, but EVERY DARN NIGHT? Doubt it. Oh, and we don't get paid for it, either. My wife figured out one year all the extra hours at home and weekends that she, essentially, made about $1.50 an hour that year.

Quote:
Also, teachers get pretty good benefits. Job security is second to none as well. Also, they do make very good money after some time has been put it. By the 10 year mark a teacher is making a decent amount and still has all that vacations.

Benefit stink around here in Arizona. I mean, I almost need to get AFLAC just to make ends meet. Luckily, my wife and I are pretty healthy, but if and when we have a child, we'll barely be able to pay the insurance because our district insurance sure doesn't pay for it.

As for the "10-year mark", I am in my 10th year and I make about $1500 more than a brand-new fresh-out-of-college teacher. My wife is in her 13th year with a MASTER'S degree (I only have a BA) and she makes a whole $1800 more than I do.

Granted, I know this is our stupid state of AZ but MANY states make so many education cuts that we are starting to normalize with the rest of the country rather than fall further behind the leaders (like WI, MN, IA).

Quote:
What I'm saying is teaching is a pretty good gig. Especially if you have a family. The benefits and the fact that you're working mainly when your kids are is beneficial.

Yes, teaching is a great gig, if you are into getting paid little. Luckily, the good teachers do it more for what you are giving your youngsters. It is it's own reward and I stand by it. I know I am a good to great teacher because I try not to let money dictate my job. But darn if somebody is going to tell me or any other teacher that is the best job ever.

Sorry for the rant. I'm sure there are other teachers on this site that feel the same way.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I have to agree with Pitchleague in full. Also, we are required to take classes over the summertime as well. That coupled with most teachers getting a 2nd job they really work 40-60 hours of "work." Thats not including time spent at home working. I know for me, being an Early Childhood teacher, I am going to be making tools as well as working on lesson plans. It is a common misconception but thats ok. Just thought I would chime in alittle bit.

EDIT - I would work on whatever job makes you the most happy. If YOU feel satisfied after those 10-15 hour weeks and not being busy, then stick around. If you feel a void in your life because of being bored or being too lazy, pick up the new job. Thats just how I would look at it.

Several have commented that enjoyment in what you do for a living is crucial--it is. If I didn't enjoy my work (I, too, am a teacher), I would not have suffered through the nearly-finished school year. I took master's level courses in order to obtain certification as a teacher of gifted education. Those classes were in the evenings, including one class that met on Friday evenings from 5 to 10 pm. I will be spending a large portion of my summer planning for the new school year; I have a mixed group (fourth and fifth graders) so I can't simply recycle lesson plans; even if I could, I wouldn't, because I don't enjoy being in a rut.

So, regardless of your ideas for the original post, please don't assume that teachers have it easy.

Without teachers, there wouldn't be doctors, lawyers, superstar athletes, etc.

I think its important to challenge yourself overall, it might be tough at times, but if you aren't moving forward, you're moving backward. There have been a couple situations where I've been caught between a path that would take more work and an easy path and yeah, its nice to take it easy for a while, but the experiences I've enjoyed the most came as a result of the tougher times. I don't know if that helps.

As far as teachers go, I don't think there's a profession I have more respect for. I have a lot of friends who are in the late stages of schooling or the early stages of teaching and I can't even imagine doing what they do. I wish I had the cahones for it, but I don't. Hopefully in the future...

I think it would be cooler if we heard about good teachers getting signed for multi-year multi-million dollar contracts as opposed to sports players who are only here for our entertainment.

Islands, thank you. I wish more people thought the same way.

But honestly, I wouldn't want the millions--I'd be happy with having enough to comfortably make house payments, car payments, etc., and have some left over to treat myself once in a while (without having to debate the pros and cons of spending money on myself).

Archived