Brewer Fanatic

Who kidnapped Mark Attanasio

Bert55

When Mark A first bought the Brewers, he was everywhere. On the radio....in the newspapers....broadcasted games. You always saw he and his family at the games.

I for one miss his excitement, but I also appreciate Mark sitting in the backround letting the men and women he hired do there job.

Quote:
You always saw he and his family at the games.

Well, IIRC, he still has a firm to run in LA. He is still at games on the weekends(not every one, but many). I always look down into the Owners seats to see if he is there. He often is, they just don't do cut aways to him now.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

When he first came here he was the new owner and was shown all the time. Now he isn't shown that much, but I think he makes more games now than before. I asked on a chat after his first year how many games he made and he said 20.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Him being the new owner has worn off and he has a better product playing so the TV station doesn't need to fill time with talking to the owner during a boring game. I bet if they are in the pennat chase later in the season he will get more face time and a interviews, same goes with Melvin.

Exactly right. The actual media value of the owner is now much lower because he isn't new anymore. I'm betting they don't show other teams owners all the time on their broadcasts either. Now, closer to the trade deadline they might just do an interview with him and ask the big question. How much salary is DM allowed to take on in the trading season. You will then get a very vague answer.

I bet if he gets a little taste of the playoffs or even a playoff chase he's going to want to dig a little bit further into the old wallet this offseason. That said, do you think his goal is to actually win a championship or do those type of guys become content with having solid teams each year that bring in revenue?

That said, do you think his goal is to actually win a championship or do those type of guys become content with having solid teams each year that bring in revenue?

thats a good question. Guys like Mark A, sure they want to win, but how bad? and is winning more important that making money to them? Thats why I do like guys like George Steinbrenner and Cuban that will spend money because they hate to lose.

I would imagine winning would generate more revenue than being exceedingly cheap (hello, Pittsburgh), but I could be wrong. As long as you don't go some crazy amount over budget, I would think playoff revenue and that kind of stuff would cover the expense of better players. The problem is that you really shouldn't count on getting that extra playoff cash. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Making the playoffs does generate a lot of extra revenue. Teams get a huge bonus for making the World Series, even if they don't win.

I really think Attanasio wants to be the man to bring a World Championship to Milwaukee. Whether we'll see that extra bit of cash spent this year or in the future, I can't say.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

FWIW, here are the last five sets of participants in the World Series, their payrolls the year they went to the World Series, and their payrolls the year after they went to the World Series. Mostly anecdotal given all the different money situations, but it might give you some idea where the Brewers could be headed should they get there.

----------

2006 Cardinals: $88,891,371

2007 Cardinals: $90,286,823

Payroll up 1.5%

2006 Tigers: $82,612,866

2007 Tigers: $95,180,369

Payroll up 15.2%

2005 White Sox: $75,178,000

2006 White Sox: $102,750,667

Payroll up 36.7%

2005 Astros: $76,779,000

2006 Astros: $92,551,503

Payroll up 20.5%

2004 Red Sox: $127,298,500

2005 Red Sox: $123,505,125

Payroll down 3.0%

2004 Cardinals: $83,228,333

2005 Cardinals: $92,106,833

Payroll up 10.7%

2003 Marlins: $45,050,000

2004 Marlins: $42,143,042

Payroll down 6.5%

2003 Yankees: $152,749,814

2004 Yankees: $184,193,950

Payroll up 20.6%

2002 Angels: $61,721,667

2003 Angels: $79,031,667

Payroll up 28.0%

2002 Giants: $78,299,835

2003 Giants: $82,852,167

Payroll up 5.8%

----------

The thing that stands out most to me is that, despite most of the teams involved in the WS raised their payroll the year following their appearance, no one actually made it back-to-back visits in the last five years.

Quote:
The problem is that you really shouldn't count on getting that extra playoff cash.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure of what kind of revenue the team generates from a sold-out house -- tix/parking/concessions? I have no idea what the Brewers cut is on non-ticket revenue. It would be interesting to get an idea of what kind of increase to the bottom line there is given an extra two or three or ten sold out home games in October.

I'm doing some mental juggling to see if we can afford Ben's next contract. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

One thought on the long term winning, is I don't think that last forever. Take someone like the Braves, who won the division 14 years in a row. They have had attendance issues for years now, even in the playoffs, and I'd have to guess getting accustomed to winning has something to do with that. Of course, it may be getting accustomed to winning the division and losing in the playoffs.

I read somewhere's that the average ticket price when the Miller Park sells out is $33.50. So $33.50 x 44,000 is right around 1.47M. I can't begin to imagine what the take is on parking and concessions, bu then again can't imagine what the electric bill there would be there for 6 hours either.

Archived